DirecTV Mad Men VOD Wrong?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by susanandmark, Sep 21, 2009.

1. susanandmark

susanandmark Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    The most recent episode of "Mad Men" made available on DirecTV VOD by AMC is "The Fog," but it's only showing up as 19 minutes long, which means it's missing a half hour of the show. (I did download it to double check and, yep, only 19 minutes showed up.) What's going on?

2. Mrs. McGillicuddy

Mrs. McGillicuddy New Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Yeah, I noticed this also after it downloaded. At first I thought the upload was having trouble getting on to the VOD or I was trying to download too soon after the initial broadcast.

I see it's on Sunday morning on regular broadcast (not VOD), but I prefer VOD as it doesn't use up the hardrive space on the DVR. (Direct TV) The Sunday broadcast definitely shows an hour long show.

I didn't know AMC did the VOD; any idea how to give them a head's up that there's a problem?

This is my favorite show these days, dont' want to miss one or watch out-of-order. We only watch VOD due to space issues mentioned above.

What next?

3. compac

compac Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    I've noticed that vod doesn't take up HDD space or add avail space when a program ie deleted... Anyone know know why??

4. susanandmark

susanandmark Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    I don't see "The Fog" being repeated anywhere on regular TV, but I'll check again. As for VOD not taking up space ... That's definitely at least not entirely true (maybe for some things and not others?). Download VOD stuff, at least in HD, and your hard drive availability definitely decreases; delete it and it increases.

5. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    AMC is in SD, so downloading a 50 minute VOD takes up pretty trivial space on the drive. This is particularly true for an HR 22 which has the bigger drive.

6. susanandmark

susanandmark Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    Ah, I see now that they're doing a mini-marathon Sunday morning of all the episodes to date. If VOD isn't fixed before that, I'll get it there.

And, by the way, I agree with the poster above, I think that people just think the "Mad Men" VOD in question doesn't take any space, because it's a relatively small SD-only file. I could, obviously, be wrong about this, and certain VOD is downloaded to the reserved part of the hard drive not included in that count, but I do know, from my own experience, that most/all VOD DOES take up space on the user-accessabile part of the hard drive.

If you have a large, expanded hard drive, you can actually delete/add hours of HD content--VOD or regular--and not see the "space available" meter change, but that doesn't mean you're not adding/deleting available space, just not enough to trigger the percentage meter.

7. stalepez

stalepez New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Does anyone else see the irony in the "Mad Men, brought to you by D*" and only showing it in SD?

Our local TWC here in Portland, ME added several dozen HD channels in the past few months, including a couple dozen in the past week. So, I'm officially convinced, D* is coming off my roof & entering my recycling bin.

8. ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    Yes, I was thinking how ironic also... I think D* is going to blow the HD doors open again when D12 goes live. And honestly, they will alienate a lot of subscribers if they don't. D11 was all about getting the locals dialed in, expanding CW and PBS nationally to HD, and expanded the sports packages to home and away feeds, plus adding a few new national HD channels.

9. susanandmark

susanandmark Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    Not to wander too far off topic, and I know it's hardly a unique sentiment, but AMC HD, almost solely due to "Mad Men," is #1 on my HD wish list ... followed by Lifetime, because of "Project Runway," and the additional HBO HD channels. That would basically make all the programs I watch on a regular basis available in HD via DirecTV.

Not everyone is a sports nut. (Though, admittedly, my husband, who is not just a fan but a coach, would say bring back Versus and keep Universal Sports and add it immediately in HD if they go that route. A Big 12 Network would also be right up his alley. But he's more the type that, until he goes to watch something and it's not available, or not available in HD, he doesn't really care/notice.)

And, to bring it back around to "Mad Men," I saw a while back, via a news article link, that DirecTV offered Mad Men in HD via VOD last year. My question is, really? Where? Is that actually true? Because I never saw it and I know I looked at the VOD options, at least while the season was airing.

PS: I checked today and the VOD for "The Fog" is still listed at 19 minutes. Thank goodness for the mini-marthon!

10. stalepez

stalepez New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    I think "Mad Men" is to AMC what the Sopranos was to HBO -- the first truly great original series that's going to end up being a catalyst for other great original programming. I know HBO had other really good original shows before the Sopranos, but that's the show so many people remember as being the reason they decided to shell out $x/month for a premium network.

When they added all those channels to cable recently, I just can't see any reason to keep waiting for DirecTV to add this stuff. I don't care that much about sports, at least not enough to let it dictate how I'm going to receive the entirety of my programming anyway.

11. merlin50

merlin50 Cool Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Did someone tell DTV about this VOD error. Very frustrating when I went to watch it yesterday.

12. susanandmark

susanandmark Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    I sent an email but, shocker, no response or fix.

13. Mrs. McGillicuddy

Mrs. McGillicuddy New Member

Sep 21, 2009
    I can't believe they actually answered within moments, AND a real live, competent-sounding young woman fielded the call.

She took all kinds of info re my setup and all kinds of numbers from my particular account. What brand is my internet modem, etc.

After all that, she's "accelerating" the inquiry, and the whole thing may take "up to 72 business hours"......so check back with the VOD schedule for the program (currently "available 'til 10/18") around Wed. or Thurs. next week.
    She said it may be a problem with AMC, not necessarily DirectTV.

Of course by then I may have already watched (or recorded) the episode from the Sunday morning Mini Marathon on AMC. But still. She was actually helpful, and deserves a gold star for her efforts. Except HER phone connection was terrible...at least she sounded like she was in USA!!!

Oh, and BTW: none of my DirectTV VODs for Mad Men are listed as HD (or SD)...which I always thought was for the visual effect of the production itself. I kind of appreciated it. Like my kid said when he was about 5 or 6 y/o: "Remember back in the old days when everything was black and white...?" LOL maybe that's what they're going for, like back in the early 60s when everything was sorta tinted tan/gold...? And blurry? (from all the drinking!)

14. m4p

m4p Legend

Apr 12, 2007
    I would love to get Mad Men (AMC) in high def. I would also like to see Lifetime Movies in HD too. Anyone know if there's plans for this?