1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv made me get 2 accounts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Zach Lemieux, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Zach Lemieux

Zach Lemieux New Member

Jan 10, 2017
    So directv has been taking me to the cleaners now for almost 2 years telling me I needed a second account for TV at my vacation home. I recently took one of my receivers from my primary account to the vacation home just to try it to see if it would work. I hooked it up and all the channels work just fine except I don't get any locals. Would there be a way to get the local channels to work so I can cancel the second account? The 2 locations are within 130 miles of each other. Thank you for your time.

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The terms of service state that an account is for one location only and there are no exceptions. Taking a receiver to a vacation home is a gray area that is accepted as long as no one is using the service at the main home. To get locals at the vacation home can be done by changing the service address, this changes all the receivers so anything at the main home will no longer have locals. This would not be an issue as no one should be using the service there while you are at the vacation home. When you go home you change the address back. If you need active service at both homes at the same time two accounts is the ONLY option

DishCSR likes this.
  3. Zach Lemieux

Zach Lemieux New Member

Jan 10, 2017
    That's what I am trying to do is watch TV in only one spot at a time. What do you need to do in order to change service address?

4. longrider

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    All you do is call in. What I dont know is if there is a minimum time before you change again and how often you can change in a year. Hopefully someone who uses this service can speak up

5. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Call and ask the CSR to change your service address.
    You can't do this too often or the CSR might refuse to do it. A couple of times a year is OK. Every weekend is not.

6. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Why not? Is there something in the terms of service agreement that limits the number of times you can change your service adddress?

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The fact that you are not supposed to move your receivers back and forth according to DIRECTV ToS is enough for them to deny a change of address even the first time, unless you are moving for real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    If he's moving to a vacation home, even temporarily, I seriously doubt that conflicts with terms of service.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That DIRECTV lets you do this has to be appreciated as by their terms they don't have to. So if they do it just once or 10 times that is them.being generous as again, they don't have to do it, not even once.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Moving ALL of your equipment ... no problem. Moving some of your equipment? Anything left behind would be in violation of terms of service. And DIRECTV could charge the full subscription rate per receiver for anything not at the listed service address.

Doesn't anyone read their terms of service?

11. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    I should have been more clear. There is nothing in the terms and service (at least the one I have read - if there is another, I'd like to see it) that precludes an individual from changing his service address one time or a hundred times-- and your right James, by a strict interpretation of the contract, all equipment needs to go with you (whether you hook it up or not) when you go to the vacation house, however, it is not some type of gracious courtesy being extended by Directv as Peds would suggest.

Directv can decide they don't want to deal with the hassle of it and tell you thanks, we no longer need you as a customer, but the terms themselves do not preclude changing your service address multiple times.

12. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    DIRECTV Residential Customer Agreement 30 June 16......(M) You must notify us "immediately" of any change in your name, mailing address, "residence address" or phone number.

13. Bigbird65

Bigbird65 Member

Dec 10, 2016
    DFW area
    I plan to take my HR44 receiver only with us on RV camping trips along with my portable dish. If I never call DirecTV to notify them of a change in service address is this a problem? Of course the system at home will be dead.

14. longrider

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    If you dont call in they obviously wont know. (unless you hook up internet) This is a classic example of the gray area i was referring to, while it is a violation of the TOS (same as tailgating) they rarely if ever have an issue with it.

15. Bigbird65

Bigbird65 Member

Dec 10, 2016
    DFW area
    My internet does not go through the DirecTV satellite. Thanks for the response.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You also won't get local channels once you're outside the current foot-print of your spot beams. Calling and changing your address is the only way to keep locals on your HR44.

17. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    No, but if you do have your receiver connect to DTV via the internet, the IP used will not be your home IP. I don't know that they do anything with the IP information, but it is possible.

A few years ago (hmm... actually getting to be more than a few by now) we worked in Yellowstone for the summer, taking a portable dish and our home receiver. We never changed service address and had no problems, although we were well out of our local spotbeam and thus had no locals. We had no internet connection for the summer.

18. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Based on the new ads that it is your stuff and take it with you wherever you go, I don't think they really care. They show a whole family in an airport and each of them have a device and they are watching their DTV programing.

19. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Those ads are about DIRECTV Everywhere, very different than DIRECTV Satellite.

20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Not with owned DIRECTV equipment.