1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv messed up a new install nearly lost a customer but dbstalk saved it!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by F1 Fan, Nov 30, 2011.

1. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Placed an order on line on Nov 23rd. Had install date for this morning. Had confirmation email and automated phone call.

Waited in for 4 hours no tech. Called to see where he was. Told someone cancelled our account yesterday but dont know why

Tried to re-order but they now want payments for shipping and wont waive it and also wont give me an install of earlier than 6th.

Called back to try and get it resolved as they messed up. No change. So cancelled the order.

Will tell as many people as I can how bad they are.

Off to Dish.

Edit: Saved by an email to Ellen, who's address I got from this board and who's team were outstanding and made it all right again, especially with the bump up of the install date.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    How can this be a new install if you already have three HRs?

And you're willing to send back those three HRs and go to Dish?
    I wish you all the luck.

3. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Because we used to be a Directv customer but have not updated my signature. Didnt realize having it in my signature from years ago meant I still had the equipment.

Thanks for your help though.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    When where you last a directv subscriber? And someone can tell you why it was canceled if you call into directv, not the installer.

5. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Months ago - I returned all receivers, have a $0 statement etc.

I called in but they dont know why it was cancelled as there are no notes on it.

They did me a new order but they wanted $20 shipping (it was $0 when we did it the first time) and a new install date of 2 weeks time. So I told them to forget it

6. Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    I'm sure you will be missed.

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    It just implied that you had the HRs.:)

Maybe an email to Ellen Philipiak (sp?) could help.

Personally, I wouldn't let the $20 stop me from ordering.

8. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    So you are implying that Directv don't care about their customers, just the bottom $?

Or is it just me in particular that they wont miss?

Or do you think I am wrong? What would you have done if you placed an order with a company, they confirm your order, they confirm all the install dates, you have been in contact with them a few times during the week while waiting for the install, the morning of the install you take time off but no one shows up. Then when you call, they say somehow your order was cancelled but they dont know why as there are no notes. And if you want to reorder the exact same thing it is now going to cost you over $80 more because the offers you had have expired and you have to wait 2 weeks again for the new install?

My biggest concern is if that happens on an install and it suddenly cost me more for no reason, what happens when I am part way into my 2 yr commitment and they do something and say "btw it is an extra $20 a month because we messed up".

I wasnt after sympathy. I was warning others who read this board about what can happen and was also hoping someone (there are CSRs and techs on here as well as the mods) may be able to shed some light and help on how I could get Directv to fix this.

But thank you for your sentiments.

9. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Yeah, sorry - I was not in the best of moods. The $20 turned into $80+ as they couldnt give me the rebates I had the first time round.

Then the 2 week install.

And as I said above, the thought of it happening when locked into a 2 year agreement scares me. If it happens now and they cant give me the original order then what if I make a change and they mess it up and I am stuck paying extra for something in a commitment.

I have spent 2 hours on the phone to CSR's, have had 3 different orders and account numbers this morning alone and they still cannot get what we ordered.

I asked for the contact number for the installers and they gave me a telemarketing companies number!

10. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I wish you luck but FYI, any special pricing they gave you was probably good for 12 months and after that the price may go up while you are under contract.

Also the mods here don't work for DIRECTV so getting us to fix it is not going to happen, you can look up the email address that was brought up or try calling back again. Maybe wait for the newest "We want you back" postcard that way you will have the deal in writing.

11. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    How did you get a new account if you were a customer a few months ago?
    Did you sign up at directv.com or at a retailer site that looked like directv.com?

Direct will cancel any order they think are fraudulent and may not state a reason why.

12. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    As this thread has more plot twists than the last five minutes of an episode of Law & Order, why do I think we are getting only part of the story?

Good luck with Dish, F1 Fan. They're a fine service provider. Trying to read between the lines in this tale, I think that would be the best solution. Right now, you don't trust DirecTV and I'm not sure they trust you. It's hard to build a business relationship when you start from that point.

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If you signed up online as a new customer, I have a feeling this is where the problem is, because the system latter figured out you are not considered new if its only been months. You would have to call in and see what they can do.

14. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    From previous experance, you are still an exesting customer, unless your CLOSED ACCOUNT IS MORE THEN TWO YEARS OLD.

Accounts are setup as primary by name xreferanced by phone number. I know people that using the same phone number have 3 and even 4 accounts.

Try using a differant name (wife, girl friend, dog) see what happens

15. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Thanks for the response.

They have no idea why the account was closed and we werent trying to beat the system etc.

We had some life changes at the beginning of the year and tv was not part of our priorities along with some other "nice to haves". And no it wasnt to do with finances or employment. Last week we decided that it would be nice to have some of the tv back and so Directv was the obvious choice even though some others had better programming - I believe the Directv will catch up with the popular missing HD channels - but also having no tv and putting things into perspective meant that we prefer to get the better service as missing HD is not the end of the world.

I played CSR roulette and eventually found one that could fix up the order to the previous order. But still had problems getting our install brought forward. Bear in mind I had taken the morning off work for the install and they cancelled the account yesterday but did not tell us that there was no install etc or that the account was cancelled. No one, not even at the executive knows why it happened.

However, I did write a nice polite email to Ellen and explained the situation. Her team went through all the accounts, called us and although we were too late for tomorrow, we are all set for Friday morning.

I still dont know why we had to jump through all the hoops, but thanks to this forum I had the email of someone who could and did sort it to our satisfaction (and no we didnt demand any freebies - just the same order that we placed last week and as close to the installation date as possible).

So thank you to Ellen and her team. And thanks to the help on the forum.

And it appears that despite the post earlier we would have been missed :)

16. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I'm glad it was all sorted out.

17. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    So maybe this thread title should be updated ....
    DirecTV almost lost a customer, but won me back.

18. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    lol yeah! I didnt know I could edit the title in advanced mode but went back and did it.

Found more information on the problem. Seems like their web system messed up.

We did the order online and it was fine, and if we went into our account everything was ok - order, install date, account number etc.

However it turns out that the web system thought we had not completed checkout (even though we had - as it let us do the rebates, sign up, talk to CSRs about the order).

So even though it was not in our cart online, and all appeared ok the online ordering system decided that after 7 days in the cart we no longer wanted it and so cancelled it. Hence the no notes etc.

This time around we had more confirmation emails from the online ordering system that we did not get last time (and if you dont know you are supposed to get them, then you dont know they were missing).

I still think that the system needs to inform you that it cancelled the order as we could have reinstated it immediately and had our original install date.

19. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    So grateful to this site for the help I just paid my membership! Keep up the great work

20. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Good to hear, F1 Fan!