1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Mini Reverts to Dolby

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jbishopp, Apr 16, 2018 at 6:35 PM.

Tags:
  1. jbishopp

jbishopp New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    My DirecTV mini won't keep the Standard Audio setting. Whenever the AVR it is attached to is turned off, the mini's audio setting reverts to Dolby. I want it to stay on the stereo PCM output. I reset the mini yesterday with no improvement. The mini is a c61K-700, software version is 0xfbf. The AVR is a Sony STR ZA 5000. On the Genie, I turned Dolby off. Maybe the mini doesn't have the most current software (even though I reset it yesterday) or maybe the latest software is the problem? I've only had this problem for that past few weeks.

Any ideas?

Thanks

John

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    What happens if ylou connect the DTV box directly to the TV?

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Check the settings in the AVR and see if you can set the choice in it for that input.

4. jbishopp

jbishopp New Member

Aug 25, 2006

5. jbishopp

jbishopp New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    I set the SAT input to always output multi -stereo.

6. jbishopp

jbishopp New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    I haven't tried that and I will but that might work since it cuts the AVR out of the loop. If it does work, can I use the audio out on the mini to connect the AVR?

7. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Yes.

8. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Is HDMI control on?

9. jbishopp

jbishopp New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    No

10. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    Just curious, why would you want to downmix to PCM stereo instead of using Dolby? Does your AVR not support Dolby Digital?

11. jbishopp

jbishopp New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    With Dolby on there is little to no sound coming from the surround speakers. With PCM all speakers seem to be operating at the same level of volume even if it is just 2-channel. I'd like to keep it on Dolby but the overall effect doesn't seem as fulfilling as PCM. If I could pump up the Dolby I'm sure I'd be fine with it.

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    Got it. The effect you are looking for is even sound from all speakers. Dolby Digital uses the back speakers for certain types of sound FX so you won't get sound intended for the front speakers, and frankly, most of the networks use of surround is horrible anyway. You might be able to downmix on your AVR, which might be easier in lieu of your C61k not doing it for you. Just food for thought.