1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv Moving Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by disdainmsh, Aug 19, 2013.

1. disdainmsh

disdainmsh New Member

Aug 19, 2013
    Hi, new to the forum, but have read some great info here, and just have some questions I'd love to get some clarification on.

I currently have an HR-20 and HR-22, using ethernet to achieve whole home DVR. This is using an older slimline dish that has 4 home runs feeding 2 tuners on each device.

I will be moving soon and the house I'm moving to has cable drops in each room. I would like to take the opportunity to move up to a Genie and get a SWM dish installed. What I'm curious about is how the existing DVR's will work with the SMW dish.

For Whole Home DVR if I understand correctly, I just need an ethernet connection at the Genie, and then with DECA adapters the HR-20,22 will be able to pick up internet from the Genie along with the playlist sharing. Is this correct?

Secondly, I assume that I would need to run a 2nd coax line if I wanted to continue to use the dual-tuners on the older HR receivers? However, the genie on it's own provides 5 tuners, so unless I really needed to record 9 things at once, I should be able to record 7 things at once with a Genie, and single coax runs to the HR receivers (5 on the Genie, 1 each on the HR's)? With the older receivers can they tap into the extra Genie receivers at all, e.g. be recording something on the HR-20 but still flip through "live tv" channels through the genie? Also, if I need and decide to run 2 coax lines to the older HR receivers, that puts me at 9, which requires a jump from the SWM 8 to 16? If I do that, I've read it requires a 2nd coax, so I would assume 1 coax runs to the genie, then the 2nd coax would run to a switch where I would then break out the 4 feeds for the two HR boxes?

Essentially I'm looking for the simplest solution because I know the installer won't run cables down the walls so if I I can get away with the single existing coax to each location that would be great. If I need two coax drops to enable the dual tuners I can do that, but I don't enjoy climbing around in the attic as much as I did 10 years ago.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed!

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    When you add the Genie you must convert to SWM (single wire multiswitch), which means you can feed any receiver, DVR or the Genie with a single coax (and get dual/5 tuner operation). If you keep the two HR units and add a Genie, you will have to have an SWM16 external SWM multiswitch (which will be provided). If you drop to 8 or fewer tuners, then you will get an SWM LNB assembly. Both the HR20 and HR22 will work with SWM.

Yes, the HR2x units will playlist share with the Genie and any clients you might add.

The SWM16 requires four coax from the dish (LNB) to the inputs on the SWM16. There are two outputs from the SWM16, each of which support 8 tuners. Whole-home is shared between all 16 tuners (doesn't matter which output is used). For the SWM16, you will either need 4 coax to your central location (where all rooms are wired back to) and place the SWM16 there, or you can place the SWM16 outside with four coax from the dish to the SWM16, then two coax from the SWM16 into the central location. Or one coax into the central location and the second coax to a single point someplace for one of the units if that's easier than getting two coax to the central location.

3. disdainmsh

disdainmsh New Member

Aug 19, 2013
    I guess the part I'm confused on is how the single wire provides dual tuner capability on the older HR devices? Feeding the SWM input, I think Satellite 1 on the HR-20 or 22 will give me the dual tuner ability without having to plug a line into Satellite 2?

Thanks for the quick response!

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yes, having the coax going into sat 1 will give you two tuners still in a SWM system. If your hr20 is a -100, the coax does have to be split at the box due to a technical limitation. There still is only one line coming from the dish to it however.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not sure I understand this correctly. the HDDVR will "steal" two tuners from the SWM network and the second tuner is not invloved

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    On an HR20-100, you have to have coax physically connected to both tuner connections. I do need to make one correction, I believe, it's not for SWM, its for the DECA.

This is one of VOS's diagrams on the connection method:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/uploads/monthly_05_2010/post-31191-136593682347.png

Though he said that putting the splitter after the DECA does the same thing and removes the need for the BSF. All this is moot if the TS has a -700.

7. disdainmsh

disdainmsh New Member

Aug 19, 2013
    Should the installer provide the DECA units and BSF's with the install, or is that something I'm going to be charged extra for? It may be cheaper for me to just run ethernet to the locations and continue to use whole home that way. I assume that will work with the Genie, I just need to use a BSF on the Genie so that it's not trying to send network data over the coax?

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Everything you need would be provided. I'd still go the DECA route.

Which HR20 do you have?

9. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Even if you did run Ethernet everywhere, the installer will bypass all of that and connect it the DirecTV-approved way. You will not be charged for any hardware that they need to do this install.

10. disdainmsh

disdainmsh New Member

Aug 19, 2013
    Ok, if they're not going to charge me for DECA converters then I have no issue running things that way, just don't want to be nickeled and dimed when I can easily drop some cat-5.

Haven't had a chance to check the HR-20 yet, what's the best way to tell? Will the full model number on the back be HR-20-x00?

11. disdainmsh

disdainmsh New Member

Aug 19, 2013
    The SWM16 requires power, so in practice it would need a 3rd coax going to the SWM16 and that input will be connected to a power source, is that correct? I'm guessing the installer will be more enthused about mounting the swm16 outside close to the dish, so I just want to know how many cables he'll need at the SWM16.

Using this link as the install reference. http://www.satpro.tv/swm-16.aspx

12. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the SWM16 can power can be fed via the SWM1/PWR port as well by having the power inline. The best practice is 4 cables to the dish and install the switch indoors

13. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I hope It's a newer home (CABLE DROPS) in every room as long as they are direct cable runs back to a central BOX in Basement or outside. most cable runs before that contain splitters in the attic or walls which may be a problem. (However) the D* installer will over come all this for you :) -Good Luck with your move,