1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV No Longer Allowing a Mix of HD and SD For New Customers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Beerstalker, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1 of 47
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I was just on DirecTV's website messing around, and looking at the deals my parents could get as a new customer and noticed something. It appears that you can no longer order a mix of HD and SD receivers when setting up a new account. I tried a few different zip codes because I thought maybe it was since they were in an MPEG4 market, but I saw the same thing for every zip code I tried.

Maybe this is a new way they are trying to ease into getting rid of the SD equipment? Stop installing SD equipment unless the customer only wants SD service. Require all new HD customers to get all HD equipment?

Maybe this is only with the website, maybe ordering over the phone or locally is different?

2. Mar 7, 2013 #2 of 47
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Its great if they are but why would anyone really want to? The monthly charge is identical, and the upfront cost between SD and HD is peanuts for the hardware. As soon as that old tv you've got dies, you're most likely replacing it with an HD set and then you'd want a cheap upgrade that you may not qualify for. Do it all upfront.

3. Mar 7, 2013 #3 of 47
    lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    In the long run this makes sense. It would also inferr that HD is now the standard offering and as such should not require an extra charge.

Don "perhaps being too hopeful on that" Bolton

4. Mar 7, 2013 #4 of 47
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Because in my parents case it would save them money up front. They have 7 TVs, the free install only covers one genie and 3 clients, so only 4 TVs. If they have to get HD receivers for the other 3 TVs then that is going to cost $300 up front. Before this I could have got the genie, 3 clients, and 3 standard def receivers all for free. Three of the TVs they have are old standard def ones anyway, so why pay for HD receivers on them now if I could get SD ones for free. Then in a few years when/if those TVs get replaced, my parents will be out of contract and likely be able to get a HD receiver or client or what not for free as an upgrade with a new 2 year agreement.

Actually though in my parents case since they live in an MPEG 4 market all 3 SD receviers would actually end up getting upgraded to HD receivers anyway, but not everyone lives in an MPEG4 market.

5. Mar 7, 2013 #5 of 47
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    So everyone wants the charge for HD to not be an add-on, which means it needs to be the standard, but if they make HD equipment the standard, that doesnt fit everyone's budget. You can see the difficulties in making any progress at any provider to streamline equipment offerings and standardize. Then again, your parents have and apparently want 7 tv's setup....$300 up front is peanuts, and most new customers would have nowhere near 7 tvs they would be wanting service to. You have to admit that is a fair share above the norm, so the initial install is higher. Seems to be perfectly reasonable

6. Mar 7, 2013 #6 of 47
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Why do two people require 7 TV's? They must live in a very big house...

The two of us have three TV's. The SD set in the bedroom has been turned on once or twice in the past year.

7. Mar 7, 2013 #7 of 47
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    As far as I know, new customers are being offered HD equipment only. If you want SD equipment only, you can contact a reputable third party dealer who can get you just what you want.

8. Mar 7, 2013 #8 of 47
    Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    The probable reason is to provide a uniform experience throughout the home for a new customer. All irds would have wholehome access, all the menus would be the same. I'm not sure that is the reason but that just makes sense to me.

9. Mar 7, 2013 #9 of 47
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    They don't require 7 TVs but they already have them. It's a 4 bedroom house, so it's not that huge. There are TVs in the master bedroom, 2 of the other bedrooms, kitchen, living room, family room, and beauty shop.

Obviously since there are only 2 people that live there they aren't all used all the time, but they are used quite often. The master bedroom, living room, kitchen, and beauty shop get used daily. One of the other bedrooms gets used at least a few days a week. The family room and bedroom downstairs at least a few times a month.

Sure I could probably set up a couple recievers to mirror more than one TV but that would confuse my parents and it's starting to get to be a bigger PITA now with the HDCP flag etc.

All that said, I can see why DirecTV is doing it, and I find it interesting and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. If it was company wide, etc, or if it's just something new on the website only and you can still get a mix if you call in etc. It just kind of sucks in my case because a few weeks ago I could have done what I wanted to for free, but I've been too busy to do it. Now it looks like it is going to cost $300, which I'm probably not going to get my parents to agree to. So they are probably going to stick with the horrible system they have now with Comcast and one HD-DVR in the living room, and the DTAs on all the other TVs in the house, that only get half the channels they are paying for, and only in standard def.

That's what I was wondering. When did this come about? And it's not that they are only offering HD equipment, there is a little link at the top that allow you to say you only want SD equipment. You click it and it lets you sign up as an SD customer, and you can only get SD equipment. But you can no longer get both HD and SD equipment it's one or the other. This is relatively new as I went through this a month or so ago and you could still get a mix.

Do you know if a 3rd party dealer can still do a new signup with a mix of SD and HD equipment?

10. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    All the functional D12s I've sent back over the years after doing HD upgrades for customers, think D* might be able to accommodate a few requests like this during the transition period to a 100% HD system?

I suppose they weighed ll this in the board room and they are the final arbiters.

It occurs to me, perhaps all those D12s ARE being saved, for the SeniorTV systems, and other commercial users????

I maintain one, and replacing D12s with HXX units is going to be a problem, they physically will not fit in the head rack.

So maybe D* knows best . . .

11. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    It's good. There are too many receivers. Perhaps this would reduce significantly the costs of manufacturing these receivers through streamlining.

12. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    How hard is it to set a HD receiver to be SD anyways? Do they even sell SDs anymore?

13. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    The change went into effect with the new promos in the beginning of Feb. it affects all in house sales channels as well as retailers. As previously stated its for two reasons 1) uniform experience throughout the house 2) begin the phase out of SD equipment

14. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    It dosen't really matter what you order.

Monday I got to my first job at 7:55 and went over the order with the customer. A Genie and 3 clients. He said he asked for 5 rooms, then his wife got involved.
    I called work order corrections, 3 HD would have been $99 each, 3 sd were free and added to the order. Then she had to call customer service to verify that her bill wouldn't be more than what she paid TWC. I was listening, she didn't ask all the right questions, she likely will be pissed. I started working at 9.:(

Tuesday the exact same thing happened again.:shrug:

15. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    If 3 of their TVs already have SD receivers then they're all set aren't they?

16. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    As mentioned above, I maintain a commercial head end system with around 40 D12 D* SD receivers.

I would love to make the system HD, but with modulators at $800 a pop, that is a project that is going to have to wait. Additionally, the racks with all the equipment is pretty tightly packed. Replacing existing receivers as they wear out with units of any larger physical size is going to be difficult.

Motels, hotels, prisons, care facilities, hospitals frequently have these setups. I would hope D* will continue to support them till the financial curve comes down to where we could think about upgrading a system to HD.

I've not had any complaints regarding picture quality with the system I service, despite it being SD on all 50+ channels. The rooms in the facility are small, TVs tend to be 19" to 32" and with the senior clientele, visual acuity, as I am finding out, tends downwards as the decades roll by. I am not getting ANY pressure from administration to start an expensive upgrade project, go figure.

Somebody figures out an upgraded HR34 with 5 on board adjacent channel HD modulators at an affordable price in a housing the same size or smaller than 5 D12s and you would really have something!!

17. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    They dont' have DirecTV at all right now, so no they don't have 3 SD receivers. What I meant is that I would have placed the order for the genie, 3 clients, and 3 sd receivers. In my parents area they don't actually install SD equipment at all, it is all automatically upgraded to HD equipment at no cost (because it is needed to get their local channels). So what would have actually been installed when the installer showed up was the genie, 3 clients, and 3 hd receivers, but I wouldn't have had to pay for the 3 HD receivers.

Now I will actually have to order the three extra HD receivers, which means $300 up front. If I'm going to have to pay that up front I might just go ahead and get 6 clients, and hope that DirecTV reconsiders charging $6/month for each client past three. I still say any past the first three should be free, or at least half price, since they can't all be used at once.

18. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    That always FROSTs ME ! I have TV's in the Master bdrm, other 3 bdrm for my kids, Kitchen, Family rm, sun rm, her sewing rm, Rec rm , garage , wood shop , and over the pool table ! That is 12 and all had cable for many many years and now we get extortion to pay for every TV ! :mad: It should be per household not per TV I can see if you are renting equipment but if you own it you shouldnt have to pay !!!!!

19. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Calling it extortion is kind of extreme. An annoyance perhaps, but extortion? :sure:

20. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Pretty much. Remember the phone companies used to charge like this too, and the government got involved and told them they couldn't do that anymore, so they had to stop. They also used to have laws against it for cable too I believe back in the analog days. I know my parents only had to pay for the service, and rental on any boxes they had, and that was it. But now with the analog signals gone they have to pay for DTAs on all the TVs, which pretty much puts it back to paying for each TV in your house, which they weren't supposed to be able to do.

Something tells me now days with companies being able to donate to "campaign funds" and stuff like that it will never happen again though.

That's the thing that gets me with DirecTV charging for RVU clients. The whole $6/month charge is supposedly to pay for "mirroring" your package to the other TVs, that's how they can justify charging it on recievers that people own, as well as ones that are leased. Well with an HR34 and clients you can only "mirror" that programming to 4 different units at one time. So why are they charging a "mirror" fee for the other units, that can't get the service? I'd be totally fine paying the $100 lease fee up front for additional C31s, if I didn't have to pay the $6/month "mirroring" fee. But to charge them both is bull in my opinion.