Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Stuart Sweet, May 10, 2012.
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters.
Thanks but, for me, using the scrubber bar while working out is much harder than trying to keep my finger pressed on the FF button.
A 30 sec skip, like on the nomad Mac app would be awesome. Better yet, integrate nomad into the DIRECTV iPad app.
My guess is that this is what they plan on doing, and is the cause of the delay in getting a iPad specific Nomad app. There is a lot more going on with the iPad app and they don't want to mess it up, or take away features in order to get Nomad added to it. Once they can get it working with all the current features and Nomad integrated then I think we will see a major update to add it.
Agreed. After all, we're still on vers. 1 of the iPad app. I would expect nomad to show up in vers. 2.
If you can, I can't figure it out. Both on a desktop, laptop, and Macbook - the only video storage locations available are on the devices hard drive itself. It does not seem to recognize usb drives.
I can set my Nomad to transfer recrodings to the secondary hard drive in my desktop, and that is what I do. I haven't tried a USB or eSata drive though.
Thought I'd throw out some feature requests as I've started to use the Nomad recently... I believe most of these features can be applied to the PC and the iOS version of the app.
1. When in Settings and viewing the Auto-Download Series List, allow the ability to sort it. Currently, it is sorted in the order that they were created, I'd like to be able to sort it alphabetically.
2. The ability to set up Auto-Downloads for shows that have no recordings on the DVR. Basically, it would be nice to be able to select shows that I have an SL for, but do not currently have a saved episode on my DVR. This could be because the season hasn't started up yet, but I want it to start downloading episodes as soon as the season starts.
3. An easier way to start up the app in off-line mode. I was having some issues the other day and it wouldn't see the nomad.. It was stuck searching for it for a few minutes before it offered me to start up in off-line mode. There was no way for me to cancel the searching phase and skip right to off-line mode.
4. An easier way to see the amount of space available. I don't see why you could not have a space meter available all the time on the main screen of the app.
5. The ability to delete shows off of the nomad itself. That would allow better management of space and allow you to remove recent shows that you no longer need on there while leaving older shows on the nomad.
6. The ability to see what shows are on the nomad from a different device. For example, if I set up my PC to download a series and then go to my iPad, there is no indication that series is already on the nomad.
7. The ability to set up a show/series to transcode to the nomad, but not download to a device. As on an iPad there is really limited space, I'd like to set up a lot of series to transcode, but not download. That way I have my pick as to what I want to take with me without having to wait for the show to transcode and then download. It would just need to download.
Here's a question that I just thought of regarding adding additional space to the nomad. I currently have 2 4GB thumb drives attached. My nomad is currently using about 21GB of 24GB available space. I have an external 320GB drive that I might attach. If I remove one of the 4GB drives (or both) and attach the 320GB drive, what happens to the recordings on the thumb drives? I realize that they would not be available anymore, but will the nomad see that I am missing those shows and automatically re-download them?
I don't think it will automatically re-transcode those on the removed storage, but I have had programs re-transcode spontaneously.
8. The ability to sort the DVR PlayList window. With 3 DVRs and many shows, the list appears to be all jumbled together. I really don't have a need to filter by show type, but an easy way to filter by DVR (and not needing to go into settings to turn one off) would be nice as well as a way to sort by Recorded Date or Alphabetically.
9. The PC app needs to pick up on external memory quicker. I removed 2 4GB thumb drives and the System Settings showed that immediately. I plugged in an external drive and it took almost 5 minutes before it popped up that the device was there.
10. A way to limit the number of episodes that download to the nomad or a device, similar to the way you can limit a SL to only record a certain number of episodes. Although, this would not be an issue if you can just tell the nomad to transcode shows and not download them. The issue I have here is that I record kid's shows only will have 5 at most at a time on the DVR. When it transcodes and downloads to the PC, over the course of a month, that will end up being a heck of a lot of episodes for ones that show multiple times a day. While the nomad will only have the most recent 5 on there, the PC (or other device) will hold onto all the episodes for a month. It would be nice to set a limitation on the number of episodes that actually get downloaded.
When viewing the DVR PlayList on the nomad app, I noticed that some recordings are missing. I verified that the series/episodes are still on the original DVR and also checked that the shows appear on the PlayList of a remote DVR. I cannot find anything in common with the missing shows, such as recorded after a certain time.
In this case, the missing shows are three whole folders of episodes of three shows and two single episodes of other shows (of which I only had those single episodes recorded).
Issue: nomad App Crash
Loaded up the application today and when it got to "Loading your content" the app just shut down. I had to reload it.
Issue: Times Listed in 24 Hr Format Incorrect
Okay, this not a real issue per se. I have my iPhone set to display time in 24 Hr format. This is displaying the times partially in 24 hr format and partially in AM/PM format. For example, something that is recorded at 8am is displaying as "8:00a", when it should just be "8:00". Something recorded at 10pm is displaying as "22:00p" instead of just "22:00".
Been away over three weeks and the shows I saved for trip home, when I select and hit Play jump to the right screen but are bounced right back within a second. Repeatable.
11. Allow a way to mark for deletion. Due to not being able to limit the number of downloads of a show, I currently had 16 episodes of Phineas & Ferb on my PC. I wanted to reduce it down to 5, but that means I had to manually select each episode and then confirm deleting it. That is a real pain.
12. When selecting to delete an episode, it only provides a generic confirmation. The confirmation should include the show name and the episode title. Also, at the end of the confirmation, there is always what seems to be an error code listed "8-45-0". I'm not really sure why that is there.
I have an iPad3, iPhone3GS and a Macbook Pro 2011: I've given up on the iPad and iPhone as viable platforms for Nomad content, the Nomad app won't download in the background and it's ridiculous to expect someone to have the time to keep the Nomad app open in the foreground whilst downloading shows.
Has any thought been given to combining a native iPad version into the DirecTV Anywhere app? Might help with up-selling Nomads and getting a larger user base out there....
You don't have to have the iPad/iPhone client open for the entire process. You can queue up many programs, let them transcode overnight and then it's a few minutes a program to transfer them to the iPad/iPhone. You can even watch a program while the others transfer - or go take a shower.
it's weird, because that's how it works on my mbp (vmware fusion) - but I've had nothing but problems with both the iPhone (which almost certainly a storage space available issue) and the iPad (which may be the same issue) - I'll give the iPad another shot
You can confirm the amount of space available on your iDevices by clicking on Summary in iTunes..
Or on the device, Settings / General / Usage . . .
No, you don't have to have the client open for the entire process, but you do have to have it open for downloading transcoded programs. This I find annoying - it's a multitasking operating system that can easily handle the Nomad app downloading in the background - that is how it should be done, imo.