1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Noob getting install tomorrow

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Brian_R, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    First off, Hi everyone! :)

I've been a long time local cable subscriber to Service Electric (now you're asking who the hell are they? Well other than being a mom+pop shop, they lay claim to the first Cable Company in the nation) and just got fed up with their unbundling / rate hike. Nothing like seeing your bill jump $40 a month, and that's with no "premiums" like HBO / Cinemax / etc. on my sub. So I looked around and jumped in on DirecTV. The price is better, plus between the referral credit, $100 gift card, and signing up through AMEX ($200 gift card) it keeps the rate essentially the same throughout the 2 year contract, cuts my cable bill in half, and I get more channels and more HD.

Not bad huh? :)

So on to the install. As far as "casualties" I have an upgraded TiVo S2 and a TiVo HD both with lifetime subs that are going to be pretty much useless, so off to the parent's house they go. The setup is 1 HD DVR in the living room, 1 HD in the Home Theater, 1 SD in the bedroom (wife still pissed there's a TV in there, but I digress...), and 1 SD to be used either in the spare bedroom or kitchen.

Seems straight forward, right?

The only issue is the possibility of having to run the second wire for the HDDVR since the TiVo HD didn't require it, there's only one cable run to that room. The geniuses who wired the house ran the wire up from the access panel in the garage into the rafters across, and down the wall in the 1st floor living room, and secured the wire in place in between. This I'm sure would be a major PITA for any installer to have to run it, so I'm hoping some sort of SWM solution would work in this case?

Thanks for all of the info on this site, I'm trying to soak as much in as I can!

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's very likely that the installer will have a SWM dish in his truck and if your existing wiring is up to the task he may be able to use it.

3. Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    It hopefully should be the house was built / wired in 2004, otherwise it's going to be a loooong day :lol:

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You'll be fine.

5. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Good luck with your install :welcome_s

6. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I am interested in this unbundling you mention your cableco did - is it along the lines of ala carte channel subscription, or something else?

7. Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    They used to have a Broadband Internet / Cable package. Bundled was one price, and included up to 4 standard room receivers / connections. Unbundled the cable price went up, the internet price went up slightly, charged for each room output regardless of box + all boxes I had, as well as other fees that just showed up. Didn't find out about the unbundling until the bill before, and was led to believe my savings in the package was only $10 a month when in fact after it was unbundled was $40.

None of the plans offer "a la carte" channels, the bundle was similar to what other companies call a "double play" package.

8. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Looks like their website still shows bundles available.

http://www.sectv.com/LV/prod_bundled.html

9. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Got it, thanks.

On a side note - if you run into trouble with cabling or getting a SWM type install, keep in mind you can buy SWM technology and do it yourself pretty easily, too.

10. Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    Phone bundles only, and the cable pieces are trimmed down to 1 connection instead of 4.

11. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Will they let you stack discounts like that? I thought I read here that they would not.

Keith

12. Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    The referral and the gift card look like they will apply, the roll of the dice is the AMEX one. I took screenshots that I went through the amex portal to complete it and it showed pictures of the $100 and the monthly credit on there so I have something to stand on. Even without it I'm saving a lot year one and about where I was with the cable before they jacked everything for year two. It doesn't hurt to try, right? :grin:

13. Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    After a slight issue of not having a dish bracket in the truck, install finished yesterday without any other big issues.

Ended up with a HR22-100, HR21-200, and 2 D12-500s.

The fist HR21-200 from the box had an invalid access card which was odd, because the receiver was NIB. Tech had another in the truck and got it hooked up with no issues.

The dishes in my neighborhood all are mounted in the front of the house, so the look at the front of the house is taking a little bit of adjustment, but other than that everything is looking good :)

14. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    I see you first said an HD DVR and a HD (assuming no DVR on the second) Then in your latest post you have two DVR's... Why the change of heart... Not that it's a bad thing, I can now not live without 2 DVR's! :grin:

And it must have been a SWM setup?

15. Rocko62580

Rocko62580 Legend

Sep 3, 2006

Shoot us over a picture.

16. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Yeah, we love pics on here!

17. Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    I screwed up in the listing, it's a H21, not a HR. Was thinking about it originally but without a multi-room viewing option it wasn't worth it based on where the second HD box is located (basement).

Yup, got the SWM setup, much better than having to creatively wire extra cable feeds in the house :D.