DirecTV not airing CFB national championship game

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by skylab, Jan 12, 2015.

1. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    It's on ESPN...

2. skylab

skylab Legend

Dec 5, 2007
    Command Center: Commercial-free coverage will feature a full-time, split-screen application showing live game action, along with immediate replays of every play and isolated camera feeds of both head coaches, enhanced statistics and the ESPN Radio broadcast call. (ESPN Goal Line/WatchESPN)

According to the December 23rd press release, goal line was to be added? Apparently they did not know about this coverage. Ugh. Someone at DirecTV please switch the feed from buzzer beater to goal line!

3. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    It's not a switch from/to. Directv takes part time channels down when not in use. If they didn't plan for it, the bandwidth may be being used elsewhere.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Do we really need that anyway? We will see everything on espn, let alone the other four channels showing it too at the same time.

1 person likes this.
  5. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You do if you want to reduce the game to about 1/4 of your screen. Another quarter is replays and a bunch of guys sitting around talking. The bottom half is cut in thirds. One third is running stats. The other two thirds are the coaches or other data. Who cares about the yapping guys. The stats are available on any computer, tablet or smartphone. I'm not sure who the game sound is.

Personally I hate those kind of layouts.

6. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    It's a shame the natural sound feed is on the only non - HD channel.

I'll bet that's no accident.

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Bingo.

8. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Do we really need 35 infomercial channels? Five different home shopping networks? 15 different religious networks? 25 different - but the same - reality shows? This list could go on and on and on.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We don't "need" a lot of channels ... but the Thread Starter felt that this content was part of the promise to carry Goal Line.

10. DN2014

DN2014 New Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Midwest USA
    If dish realy needs some band width, why don't they get rid this CRAP!

11. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The infomercial channels (along with several non infomercial channels like MavTV, Back 9, Newsmax and INSP) are paying DirecTV to be on the lineup. Some of them do get taken down on busy nights when they need more space for SD RSN alternates and out of market packages. However taking down SD infomercial channels wouldn't give them space for a part time channel that's only carried in HD.

As for the religious channels, FCC rules require satellite providers to devote a percentage of their lineup to P/I channels, channels that are run by non-profit orginizations who cannot charge the providers to be carried. It's not just religious channels, other channels like BabyFirst, NASA, Free Speech TV, Link TV, Canal Once, HITN, V-Me, CCTV News, MHz Worldview and Arirang qualify as P/I too.

1 person likes this.
  12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    My point was I think that what he was asking for was already on one of the four main channels I mentioned, not that we dont really need it...