DIRECTV NOW

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by morgan7961, Oct 16, 2016.

1. morgan7961

morgan7961 New Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Does anyone any specifics about this service yet...ive seen where it's only going to able to stream to two devices,is there going to be a dvr service to this like ps vue,will it be in 5.1 sound,and how will you get this service,an app or something.for cell phones i guess but what do you use on tv's..

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No details has been announced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The marketing goals for the service are different - definitely ATT streaming data device oriented. If you use DirecTV live-streaming within its smartphone apps, you are likely experiencing what's coming. There were in September the generic articles like Deadline Hollywood's DirecTV Now To Offer 100+ Channels With No Data Charges On AT&T, CEO Says:

In terms of tech specs, The Verge in a story speculates that the current streaming service for DirecTV satellite subscribers "basically is that service" and that at the tech level 4K is missing. Bloomberg technology, which as with all Bloomberg stuff oriented to investors, indicates that AT&T Said to Plan Web Streaming as Primary TV Platform by 2020. The entire transcript of Stephenson's presentation is available at Seeking Alpha. From a user standpoint he was very straightforward:

So I would guess that depending upon what device the app is on you would get, for instance, the same sound quality you get from other apps.

4. austen0316

austen0316 AllStar

Jun 21, 2006
    Robbinsville...
    I'm surprised no one has any insider news yet

5. Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    It shouldn't be too much longer.

6. onan38

onan38 Legend

Jul 17, 2008
    Viacom is the latest media company to announce a carriage deal with AT&T for the upcoming DirecTV Now streaming service.
    Under the agreement, the struggling conglomerate’s frontline channels will be included on the highly anticipated virtual MVPD service, which is slated to launch later this year. These channels include Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, VH1, Spike, BET, CMT, TV Land, Nick at Nite, Nick Jr. and Logo.

http://www.fiercecable.com/cable/viacom-signs-directv-now-deal-but-gets-only-10-channels-streaming-service

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    From Engadget:

"You don't have to sit on pins and needles wondering when AT&T will launch DirecTV Now, its flagship internet-only streaming service. As part of a discussion of the Time Warner acquisition, AT&T chief Randall Stephenson has revealed that DirecTV Now will be ready in November. It might be a bargain, too --"

Full article here.

8. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Per Deadline Hollywood AT&T CEO Says DirecTV Now Will Offer 100+ Channels For $35 A Month "“and that includes your mobile streaming cost,” he said today at the WSJDLive Conference."

Hmmm. That's too good to be true. What don't we know? He even said this:

9. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    My thoughts the pricing structure may start at $35 with 1/3 of the channels music. It will be interesting just how user friendly it is and can we record series/shows like with the Playstation Vue. How long before prices shoot up into the cord cutters no longer interested territory around that $50 a month mark?

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Don't know if there is a relation... but AT&T has talked about providing their own streaming services uncapped over their network... could be they are going to offer a combination Internet + Streaming TV thing... but it remains to be seen if that sort of scenario will fly with the FCC.

11. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    http://cordcuttersnews.com/directv-now-willl-not-skinny-bundles/

Doesn't look like they have any interest of offering packages toward cord cutters. Really I don't see the point if they aren't competing.

Like the article says don't expect pricing structure to be much different than satellite minus the equipment fees.

Quote from Goncalves “Consumers aren’t telling us they want less content, they want more flexibility and seamless way of engaging with that content,”

Not sure which consumers he's talking about, surely not Millennials or those tired of $140 month TV without any premium channels.

My prediction this will be a failure before it gets going. Probably will end up being some add on perk for mobile devices to help those spending the $140 a month feel good about it.

12. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    If it's only $35 a month, allows at least 2 simultaneous streams, and works like Hulu (Delayed viewing vs live only), I might be interested

13. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Here we see the potential for two markets - cord nevers who are going to be a hard sell for a $35 package and the cord cutters who are used to some live content plus a lot of commercial-skipping DVR'd content.

The question for sports fans is there an option that includes live content ... that is the only viable option. DirecTV has always catered more effectively to them than Dish which has leaned away from mandatory costly content. How that shakes out is going to depend on negotiations with networks and other media creators.

The issue for every one of us in the future is (a) do we "cut" and, if so, (b ) what options do we want. There is so much streaming content out there now, I'm not sure how one finds their way through the options. But I will by May 2017 as I'm sure that by 2020 many others will have.

14. CincySaint

CincySaint AllStar

Jan 16, 2008
    As a former D* subscriber and current SlingTV cord-cutter, I don't see how D* Now is competitive. Sling is only $20 month and offers a number of "skinny bundles" that allow subscribers to tailor the channels they receive.

I am sports guy so I added the sport pack for $5 more. So for a total of $25 I get ESPN, TBS, TNT, etc. And I can use my Sling ID to get into WatchESPN.

Not sure, in my case, why I'd want to pay more to D*

15. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Until we see the actual lineup at $35 we won't know.

16. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    I want DirectvNOW! lol Give me DirectvNOW!

1 person likes this.
  17. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm curious. In terms of non-sports shows on TNT and TBS can you watch shows a day or two after they air and fast forward through commercials?

18. AnonomissX

AnonomissX Godfather

Jun 29, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Me too Me too!

I'm in a house with 3 females, we don't watch sports, and the big demand/DVR time is for Local/national network programs HGTV, Food Network,TLC,E,Lifetime and TMC. Live tv would be the local big 3 networks and news channels.

I already have Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime and all are available as apps on the Xbox One, and I love the way they function. It would be the BOMB if I could get Directv Now as a service or app on the Xbone, even for twice the cost - I would save SO MUCH MONEY.

Even if it doesn't happen as an Xbox service, I could still get an Firestick and feed it into the Xbone's HDMI pass through, just like I am doing now with the Directv genie.

There was news today that the Directv Now debut will be November 28th 2016. I have one of the dreaded HR 34 DVRs and had recieved an email to call and upgrade for no cost nor new commitment since the Genie Go was being discontinued. I should be out of commitment anyway, and will HAPPILY drop the current setup and go with Directv Now, even if it means 2 sevices to let my family watch on more than one TV or device at once.

Even if I purchased a first generation Xbox One for every room with a tv, they are available for only a month and 1/2 worth of the monthly Directv bill...still big bucks savings and play games to boot :)

I love Directv, but...I don't want all the programming. And,faster high speed Internet has made all the streaming options very very appealing. If this has the same basic interface as the current DVR setup, I can get my mom and my sister to take the switch over and new way of watching t with a minimum of pain and squawks :D

19. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    DirecTV Now isn't really going to be ideal for the situation you described unless your entire family only uses 2 TVs at a time. There's also going to be no DVR functions, just whatever is available on Demand and on 72 hour rewind.

20. austen0316

austen0316 AllStar

Jun 21, 2006
    Robbinsville...
    No DVR functions, you 100% positive?