DirecTV offers $19.99 bundle to counter Sling TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Feb 2, 2015 #1 of 12
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    DirecTV offers $19.99 bundle to counter Sling TV

(fiercecable.com) - DirecTV is looking to counter the launch of Dish Network's $20-a-month OTT service with a $19.99 bundle for new customers.

"Dish's Sling TV: Gamechanging or shortchanging," reads a DirecTV online ad plugging the new service, which is offered to only new customers....

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

2. Feb 2, 2015 #2 of 12
    Coachbulldog

Coachbulldog Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Utah
    It doesn't seem like Directv is serious about competing with Sling TV because what they are offering is inferior to Dish's product.

As for the information in the Directv online ad; Sling TV is geared toward consumers who watch television on their devices. The fact that Directv Select offers hundred plus more channels isn't going to interest the consumer group Dish is after.

1 person likes this.
  3. Feb 2, 2015 #3 of 12
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm not sure I'd say that Select is necessarily inferior. In many ways, it is a much broader offering.

I do agree that the satellite delivered SELECT package in no meaningful way competes with Sling TV and that's just stupid on the part of DIRECTV Deals, the outfit that appears to have concocted the "ad". Contrary to Swanni's assertion that many authorized dealers are running the same "ad"; it appears to actually be a CES blog post that attempts to diffuse the importance of Sling TV in the marketplace.

I also find fault with Swanni's assertion that DIRECTV somehow rushed together or repriced the Select package to compete with Sling TV.

I'm of an opinion that Fierce Cable is a sloppy re-blogger and citing TV Predictions' fallacious assumptions only fortifies my opinion.

4. Feb 2, 2015 #4 of 12
    RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    What are the conditions of this offer? Is it a first year price as most of their offers are with a 2 year commitment and much higher prices?

5. Feb 2, 2015 #5 of 12
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yes, new customers only with a 2 year commitment. In fact it isn't even anything new

6. Feb 2, 2015 #6 of 12
    Coachbulldog

Coachbulldog Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Utah
    Absolutely it has a much broader offering. My point is that in terms of streaming, which is the focus of Sling TV, Select doesn't offer much of anything.

7. Feb 2, 2015 #7 of 12
    Aridon

Aridon Mentor

Mar 12, 2007
    My issue with sling is the lack of dvr functions and limitations of that nature. I won't go back to watching commercials. Advertisers are having wet dreams thinking about ip distribution.

8. Feb 2, 2015 #8 of 12
    Mike_TV

Mike_TV Legend

Jan 17, 2006
    Exactly. I had the Super Bowl on two different sources yesterday, playing side by side. OTA HDTV and streaming on an iPad via the NBC app. Both had different commercials and the iPad stream not only had a different set of commercials than the OTA feed, it had banner ads too. Double the advertisements.

9. Feb 8, 2015 #9 of 12
    Service tech

Service tech New Member

Jan 20, 2015
    DirecTv has been offering the select package for 19 for a long time. What your not thinking about is customer support which DirecTv is listed as number 1.

CDT Wiring-Dtv Sat Tech

10. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Did you compare the Spanish feeds at all, on NBC Universo HD vs the app?

11. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Yeah, um... Sorry but this isn't a competitive offer. $20 isn't a "promotional price" for SlingTV, but the $20/month one is for DirecTV. Sling comes with no commitment or contract - cancel anytime. DirecTV's requires a 2-year commitment.

DirecTV is simply trying to rebrand and repackage their old programming in such a way as to make it look competitive with Sling. But it isn't.

1 person likes this.
  12. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    IMHO, I think this guy has it right: http://www.fiercecable.com/story/cut-rate-bundles-are-not-valid-competitive-response-sling-tv/2015-02-05