1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv on Demand----SLOW

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by atfree, Dec 21, 2009.

1. atfree

atfree Mentor

Feb 1, 2007
    My DOD has been SLOW over the past month. For example, I've tested a 1/2 hour cartoon from Boomerang.....took 2 hours to download. An HD movie download took over 24 hours. This has only started to be a problem over the past month or so. Before that, I've been able to download pretty much 1:1, and was able to start watching within a few minutes with no delays while watching.

Here's my network settings:

Directv HD-DVR HR20/100, software 0x368, which was downloaded on 10/29/09

Running wireless G network with Netgear WPN824v3 router, connected wirelessly to DVR with Linksys WGA600N wireless adapter.

I've got 3 laptops connected to the network with no speed problems. I've got Bellsouth DSL Extreme 6.0, and all my speed tests on the laptops show I'm getting 5+ Mbps download speeds. All my other downloads work fine and fast.

The router is set automatically process UPNP, and the DVR shows on the router with ports 27161 and 27162 ports forwarded as TCP.

I've reset the router, wireless adapter and DVR with no improvement.

Any ideas as to why my DOD download speeds have suddenly become so slow??????

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I haven't downloaded anything in the past few weeks, but I was getting HD in amost real time. For a 30minute program, I only needed to wait about 2 minutes. SD would start immediately.

I have Comcast with 12MB down.

EDIT: Okay, just queued up a 2:26 HD movie. In 11 minutes, I am 7% of the way through, and the progress bar is green. You can extrapolate that to mean that it would take about 157 minutes to donwload the entire movie (or only 11 minutes longer than the movie itself).

EDIT #2: Couple more time/percentage checks puts the total time at more like 135 minutes, or even shorter than the movie itself. I am not seeing the slow VOD performance that you are experiencing.

3. atfree

atfree Mentor

Feb 1, 2007
    Your connection is faster than mine, but still doesn't explain the slow downloads I'm experiencing. I used to get the same speeds you're getting (taking into account your faster Comcast service) but all of a sudden it's slowed to a crawl.

For example, I started a test download of a 30-minute Tom and Jerry cartoon at 8:30 tonight.....it's 10:12 and it still hasn't finished.

Somethings wrong, I just can figure out what.....

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Can you wire your receiver directly just to test?

5. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    Your ISP my be traffic shaping away from D*'s VOD service to save bandwidth on their side.

6. zudy

zudy Legend

Jul 22, 2009
    I also have Bellsouth DSL 6.0. I have my recievers hard wired and it is very fast that way, I also just bought the wireless kit so I am wondering what kind of speed I will get with that one. Hard wired is your best be for speed.

7. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I have AT&Ts top DSL package and a wireless N wrt160n router with DDwrt feeding to wireless DVRS, 1 connected to a wire less G bridge and 1 connected to a wrt54g running DDwrt in repeater/bridge mode and I can start watching anything almost as soon as it hits the que, as soon as it gets to 5% the bar is green, and they are only connected at G speeds, 54mbps on one and 36mbps on the other. Infact it downloaded 4 movies lastnight while I was sleeping....

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Even "g" wireless is up to 54Mb/sec, way faster than a 6Mb/s DSL ISP connection....as long as its reliable wireless, it will not be the bottleneck for DoD stuff from Direct.

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    The speed of the DOD download is based on:

1) Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) transmission speed (DSL, cable, etc.)

2) The HD DVR Ethernet port speed (10/100)

3) Any devices through which the transmission must pass, which may impact the direct stream itself (router, switches, etc.

Wireless "G" will never get you more than 54MBps speed, which is less than what the HD DVR itself can handle.

An "upgrade" to a WET610N wireless adapter (I use one of these) can improve that performance exponentially...but the speed will not exceed what is handled by the 10/100 port itself on the HD DVR. There is a First Look on the WET610N here:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=167138

10. dodge boy

Mar 31, 2006
    I'm going to go look for 2 of those at Best Buy tonight...... They should work ok with my WRT160N router......

11. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    But 54Mbs is way faster than anyone's internet connection. As long as the network is fatser than the internet download speed, how much faster is irrelevant. Since the question is regarding VOD (and not MRV), network speed faster than even 802.11b is unnecessary.

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Downloaded two HD recordings last night with my AT&T 6 Mb/s [tests @ 5] DSL. The connection paused once and needed to manually be "resumed". Other than this, my speeds were "normal". Since these were 1080p, they came at about 1.5:1 [1.5 min to download 1 min of program].
    Before I changed to DSL, my cable would do just what your having. I could download from any other site fine, but VOD could take days. This was all due to the crappy cable company.

13. atfree

atfree Mentor

Feb 1, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm kinda stumped....the only thing I wonder about is the Netgear router.....my old Linksys router didn't have UPNP or QOS but the Netgear one does. I enabled both and I wonder if that is something that's affecting DOD download speeds. Just grasping at straws. I'm gonna turn these off tonight on the router and re-boot everything and see if it makes a difference. I wouldn't think so but stranger things......

I wish the HR-20 had more of a user interface for networking.....

14. dodge boy

Mar 31, 2006
    That would be a good start. I put DDwrt on my linksys and turned on UPnP so they could open their own ports and it trashed everything on my network....

15. Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU Legend

Jan 28, 2004
    Ocean...
    I just downloaded (2pm Eastern / Tuesday) "Billy & Mandy Save Christmas" (animated, standard definition) from channel 1296 (Cartoon Network). Total run time is 39 minutes.

Took me 27 minutes to download.

3MB down / 768KB up DSL connection (Verizon), hardwired Ethernet from modem to HR-20/700 receiver. (I was also surfing the 'net on my laptop in the meantime)

16. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    I have a 25 megabit/sec FIOS, and I download HD content only slightly faster than real time. I have a 100 mbps ethernet connection to my HR23. I think D* must do some throttling at the server end.

17. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    IMHO, DirecTV does use bandwidth management on the DoDo service to help limit their costs for network bandwidth. The thinking probably is to make it fast enough so that folks can get the GREEN on the download timeline so they can start watching fairly quickly, but not so you can download the entire movie in 10 or 15 minutes. They probably feel that folks will watch the program in 'real time' and not be skipping into the program so why pay for big bandwidth pipes if not necessary for most customers use?

18. dodge boy

Mar 31, 2006
    Just did 1 better, ordered 2 brand new WRT160Ns $79.99 ea. as opposed to $99.99 for the bridge. I will be putting DDWRT on them both and use them as repeater/bridges and will have 4 wired ports in each location....

19. dshafer

dshafer Mentor

Dec 15, 2006
    Keep in mind that even thought 802.11g is "rated" at 54mbps, real performance will be nowhere near that. Wireless is CSMA/CA and involves a handshake (RTS/CTS) before transmission can begin. Add in RF interference and building walls, etc and the usual range for 802.11g is around 20mbps. Still faster than your connection to the ISP. The standard rate for a HD stream is 19.2 mbps. Do not be suprised if you see pixalation/drop outs with 802.11g.

20. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This would be OTA MPEG-2.
    While downloading isn't that affected, since if a bad packet is missed, it simply is resent, if you are streaming DirecTV over wireless [using DirecTV2PC], you will find different rates.
    I monitored my network yesterday while watching a 1080p VOD and while it does vary, it was over 20 Mb/s and with a trick play could be as high as 40 Mb/s. "I'd say" the average was 20-25 Mb/s.
    Compared this to an HBO movie off the SAT feed and it was about half of this at about 12 Mb/s. Both of these were MPEG-4.