Directv PBS National Feed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jorb, Apr 16, 2015.

1. jorb

jorb AllStar

Mar 22, 2008
    Since 2011 I have been receiving the PBSNET National Feed channel 389.
    About two weeks ago Directv removed PBSNET from my programming package.
    I called Directv and they said because of a FCC rule they had to remove PBSNET.
    The rule says, Because I already receive a local PBS Channel, the national PBS Channel
    would be competing with the local PBS Channel.

I do not understand this rule, both PBS Channels local and national have the same programming.
    They are not privately owned.
    They both do not have commercials.
    So how are they competing with one another?
    Why did it take them 5 years to all of sudden decide to enforce the rule?

2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Many local PBS stations get funding from state and local governments along with local pledge drives. Also, while PBS isn't a commercial station, they do have local sponsors who have promos that air before and after shows, so they want you watching the programming and pledge drives on their station and not the national feed.

1 person likes this.
  3. jorb

jorb AllStar

Mar 22, 2008
    So, I was not suppose to be receiving the PBS National feed to begin with?
    Are other Directv subscribers getting the PBS National channel blacked out recently?

4. barkway

barkway New Member

Apr 18, 2015
    Florida
    When I flipped to 389 just now it says "channel not purchased."

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  6. crendall

crendall Legend

Jun 26, 2006
    I've been getting channel 389 for many, many years. When I turn this channel on now I just get the "channel not purchased" message. Since 389 is not in HD I've mostly been watching PBS with my Apple TV.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Check the link in my previous post and see if you now get a PBS that is local.
    If you don't have a local one you should call DirecTV and get the 389 reactivated.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The PBS National feed is *NOT* a distant station. It is a special feed carried by agreement with PBS.

As described by DirecTV:
    PBS created its national feed specifically for satellite companies and it features much of the same programming you'd get from a local PBS station. However, in order to encourage viewers to watch and support their local PBS stations, the PBS National Satellite Service airs most prime time programming (8 p.m. to 11 p.m. ET) one day later than on local PBS stations. Some timely PBS programs, including THE NEWSHOUR WITH JIM LEHRER, CHARLIE ROSE, WASHINGTON WEEK IN REVIEW, and WALL $TREET WEEK may air at the same day and time as they normally do.

The national PBS feed can be added for $2.50 per month in areas where a local PBS affiliate is not available.
    DirecTV

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You suggested that one should check the laws written by congress to learn more about Distant stations? I agree. If you check the laws that you refer to you will find that DirecTV is *NOT* using the law that allows carriage of Distant stations to carry the non-station PBS feed.

10. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    You can get PBS-HD for free off AMC-21 (125W) with a small Ku Band Satellite Dish (about the size of the DirecTV Dish) and a FTA Receiver for several hundred dollars. Even better, the quality of the picture will be FAR superior than anything you get from your local PBS Station, especially as most PBS Stations have loaded up their .2 and .3 channels with PBS Kids, Spanish etc.

1 person likes this.
  11. stvcmty

stvcmty Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Baldwin MD
    [SIZE=medium]But for how long? There is talk that PBS will go to IP distribution and remove their signal from 125.[/SIZE]

12. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    Who knows. DirecTV could go IP distribution under AT&T.

I don't worry about things that are that are so far off that would take years to implement once decided on.

Either PBS is worth it to you now - or it is not.

Then again, write you Congressman and tell them to stop all funding to PBS if you cannot get it and want it. No reason for your any of your tax dollar to go to something you cannot benefit from, right?