DirecTV Phone Line Buzz

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mikeny, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Aug 5, 2011 #1 of 27
    mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    I have had 7 Verizon service calls in the last 11 days due to buzzing in the phone line. I have FiOS Internet and POTS phone connected to FiOS.

They finally ran completely new lines yesterday and changed the ONT panel but it still wasn't great.

Two DirecTV issues occur:

1. When the HR24 is connected with a phone line, the buzz gets noticeably worse.

2. With the Broadband DECA connected to my router, the buzz gets noticeably worse.

I switched the DECA to an adjacent network switch and it got a little better but it's not great.

There are definitely some related issues going on between DirecTV and the Verizon service.

I have read some posts referring to ground loops, etc.

Verizon is supposed to come for an 8th time tomorrow. They were convinced that the Broadband DECA was the culprit but it's completely disconnected and unplugged now. I'm still having phone issues.

DirecTV is supposed to come Tuesday. I thought they could look into Satellite grounding issues that may be at play. This may also be causing some problems with my H25-500 connection with some horizontal interference with a component cable. Maybe the cable is just bad. Of course, it's a proprietary cable.

I powered off the SWM system by turning off the surge protector the SWM is plugged into but the phone issue remains.

So now my Broadband DECA and phone lines are not connected to DirecTV. Power and ethernet is disconnected from the broadband deca. Those components would exacerbate the phone issue although those issues remain regardless.

So what do you experts believe? Verizon issue, DirecTV issue, electrical issue or a combination?

2. Aug 5, 2011 #2 of 27
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    If the problem persists with DirecTV equipment disconnected, I would have to suspect that the trouble lies somewhere else, maybe Verizon's equipment.. Connecting additional equipment, anyones, just makes it worse.

3. Aug 5, 2011 #3 of 27
    mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    That's what I thinking 4 techs ago. The additional DECA interference was very surprising. They almost had me convinced that was the issue..until I tried to make a real call without it and there was still static/buzzing.

4. Aug 5, 2011 #4 of 27
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Just so I'm clear, you get a bad buzz also with the phone line unplugged from the HR24 but the broadband DECA connected?

5. Aug 5, 2011 #5 of 27
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    When he connects it to either or then the static gets noticablly worse.

I'm guessing there's a grounding issue somewhere.

6. Aug 6, 2011 #6 of 27
    mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    What Shades228 said is accurate. Verizon thought they found the holy grail when they showed me how [they thought] unplugging the DECA from my router eliminated the phone line buzz. Plugging it in made an obvious effect. This is what made Verizon run out today after 3 hours. They thought they found the issue. Curiously, it does not get as amplified if I plug the DECA into a network switch instead of directly into the router.

Nevertheless, I've left it unplugged for now because I need to show them tomorrow that even with it out of the mix, there are still phone issues.
    Even with it unplugged (including the DC end) the line is still flawed.

Yes, all this happens with the phone line unplugged from any receiver. If I do plug the phone line into a receiver you get that same amplification of the noise.

7. Aug 6, 2011 #7 of 27
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    You might also look for phone lines running near power lines....quick tied to them or going through the same drilled hole.

Also, if you have a security system have they used any of the phone lines?

Has it rained a lot recently...VZ underground cables & vaults sometimes get noisy after much rain. The static goes away when the soil dries out.

Are all the phone lines in the correct sockets? Two pair line has a small fitting that will fit into an ethernet socket (4 pair) ....that one is kind of a stretch but I did find one once.

Had any nearby lightning events?

Keep after it!

Joe

8. Aug 6, 2011 #8 of 27
    mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    An 8th Verizon tech came today and couldn't find any problems. He thought everything was grounded properly from the power company and I showed him where the DirecTV system is grounded on the other side of the house.

The line is clear at the ONT and reportedly with his test phone at the inside jacks. However, when my equipment accesses the line there's some static in the background.

I tried an old phone that was not connected at the time that the system faltered in July with a new cable to one of my jacks but it was the same.

It's not the biggest deal but I am curious to try a VOIP system. Of course if I do that my FiOS Internet will go up about $20 because I'll be "unbundled". Then again it's not about the money at this point. If I pay the same and get a clear line, I'd be satisfied.

Any suggestions on a VOIP provider?:)

I miss having the caller-id plugged into the DVRs. I assume I can do that with VOIP. I'll reconnect the Broadband DECA later too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

9. Aug 6, 2011 #9 of 27
    TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I could be wrong about this but I believe that two separate grounds are bad. They could be the cause of the ground loop you are hearing. Do you have a way to connect your DirecTV ground to the same ground as the Verizon is using?

10. haggertk

haggertk New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    I have to say, I am completely impressed by Ooma.

There's a upfront fee for the hardware (best pricing seems to be at Costco), but then only taxes each month. You can pay an optional yearly subscription to Premiere service if you want advanced features.

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    When I first moved into my current house about 6 years ago, I had FIOS internet and phone. Periodically, I would get buzzing on the phone line and sometimes I'd hear music.

After a few service calls, it was determined that I was getting interference from one of the local radio stations and there was nothing Verizon could do about it.

I switched to VOIP for phone and haven't had any problems since.

12. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    Interesting. So which VOIP do you like? Ironically, my AM reception has also gotten terrible right around the time that I started to have problems with the phones.:shrug:

13. trekologer

trekologer Legend

Jun 30, 2007
    VoIP ATAs (and the Verizon ONT is one too) tend to be sensitive to incorrect polarity and static or buzz can be a symptom. I would hope that the Verizon techs checked all of the phone jacks for that.

Here's something to try also...Unplug everything from every phone jack in your house and try 1 phone directly to the ONT and verify that you don't hear the buzz on that phone. Then, with everything else disconnected, reconnect the ONT to your house wiring and try the phone you used directly on the ONT at each phone jack. If the line is clear at that point, you likely have some other equipment connected that is causing the buzz. Connect each back one at a time, testing for the buzz at each step. Make sure that you do this for every phone jack. Don't skip any...a garage or basement one is often overlooked and could get damaged from corrosion due to damp environment.

14. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Had Vonage for a couple of years and it worked just fine. Got a deal about 2 years ago though through my wife's cell account with T-Mobile and switched to their VOIP for $10 per month unlimited. It works just as well, but T-Mobile cancelled the program early last year (existing members can keep using it).

15. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    You gotta ask!

VZ & other phone systems ground to the main bond. What could Directv be grounded to on the other side of the house?

Joe

16. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    Some water spiggot- on the other side of the house near the dish (and now splitter) as it's been, I believe since my original install in 12/02.

I'm curious what would happen if I disconnected the DirecTV ground. They're (DirecTV) supposed to come Tuesday morning. Should I ask them to move the ground line? It would be a big run to the electrical/FiOS spot. I've had coax run that way though.

17. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Metal pipes or plastic?

18. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    Metal

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Has anyone asked the important question: If you're receivers are DECA connected, why are you connecting phone lines to your receivers?

20. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    DECA at the receivers are for WHDVR. DECA at the router is for DirecTV Cinema, On Demand and TV Apps. Phone lines at the receivers are for on screen caller-id.

edit: A tech told me that FiOS caller id for their FiOS TV receivers is carried through their MoCa system. DirecTV still needs an independent phone line run for this.

The question is: Why do I do get excessive phone noise when I either plug the phone line into the DVR or plug a DECA into the router?