DIRECTV PQ Complaints/Comparison

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Mike1096, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Mike1096

Mike1096 Member

Jan 20, 2018
    Just curious on where you get “better” from in regards to PQ. I do believe streaming is the future. However, due to internet constraints, as well as availability, especially rurally, it’ll be a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    A/B comparison with both services after I switched from DirecTv and before they disconnected my signal. Compared them for two days. ATT TV was better, hands down.

NashGuy, longhorn23 and compnurd like this.
  3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    No it doesn’t. Every person here who had switched from directv to att tv here has confirmed directv is slightly inferior

longhorn23 likes this.
  4. Mike1096

Mike1096 Member

Jan 20, 2018
    Inferior as in PQ??

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    It’s better. Most channels run at a higher resolution and all of them at a higher bit rate

6. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yes

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yes. DirecTv DVRs have a LOT more features than ATT TV at the moment. DirecTv wins on the DVR front.

8. Mike1096

Mike1096 Member

Jan 20, 2018
    Ok. I trust you guys have seen both. I don’t see anywhere where bitrate shows a difference. Both feeds are compressed. Through DirecTV and through ATT TV.

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    We're testing Hulu Live right now. I was surprised at how much better the networks (CBS, NBC and ABC) looked on Hulu. I had three family members rate the PQ for three different shows from each network. I switched the input from DIRECTV to Hulu while they weren't looking and had them compare different shows (NCIS, Chicago Fire and Grey's Anatomy). They each picked Hulu's PQ over DIRECTV for all three shows.

Internet availability for rural areas? I think Starlink, at 300mbs (when fully operational), will solve that.

Mike1096 likes this.
  10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Which is really interesting when considering Hulu is wildly picked as the worst PQ out of all of the Live TV streaming services

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Sources/Link(s)?

We're trying Hulu because it has what we need and should we decide to add ESPN+ (for hockey), we can bundle Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+ and pay less than we do right now.

12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I would just read various reviews

I know for one Hulu does cap everything at 720P. Someone on Reddit did do a bit rate comparison on all 3. ATT TV averaged around 10Mbps YTTV around 8 and Hulu around 6 Which lines up with everyone’s opinion of the PQ. A lot of reports about macro blocking and issues with fast action

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Thanks. I haven't seen any sites that have actual numbers; just personal opinions on the best PQ. We're trying Hulu as I think our days with DIRECTV are numbered. Nice thing about the streaming services is no contracts, so we can always try the others. We haven't watched any sports on Hulu yet, as currently our sports is provided via NHL.TV and MLB.TV.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are always constraints.

15. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I guess those signals aren’t scrambled?

16. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Nope, but they are weak. You need a 10' dish with a really cool LNBF. CTV has 8 HD channels, usually show about 5 games. TSN used to show some too, but thing they went fiber, and they disappeared. No telling if they will be back next year. There is Fox Puerto Rico for another game, usually the New York teams.

HGuardian likes this.
  17. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    Downgrade picture quality? I don't know how to tell you this but streaming PQ on some services is far superior to HD.

4K/DolbyVision/Dolby Atmos picture and sound from Apple TV+, Disney+ and others is mindblowing.

NashGuy and longhorn23 like this.
  18. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I often watch network shows on Hulu to avoid the extra graphics the local stations put on the screen during shows and to save save myself the trouble of having to fast-forward through the commercials. The PQ on Hulu does seem slightly better than DirecTV

NashGuy likes this.
  19. Mike1096

Mike1096 Member

Jan 20, 2018
    I was at my neighbors house who has the Xfinity X1 set up. I have to say his local news feed looked better than DirecTV or ATT TV. I was shocked.

20. Rob37

Rob37 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2013
    YEAH ****if***** you have reliable wi-fi and internet connection. As I have said in previous posts NOT everyone HAS a good internet connection yet. Some rural areas such as my area DOES NOT HAVE High Speed Internet. We have DSL at Best.

dtv757 and HGuardian like this.