1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Price Increase Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rjc, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 4, 2007 #1 of 16
    rjc

rjc Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    hi...if I currently subscribe to Total Choice package...which gets me those 13 channels that DTV is about to take away...if I want to add HBO package at some point...do I need to add HBO prior to some date in order to make sure that I am "grandfathered" with the channels I receive with Total Choice..is the deadline Feb 6th? March 1st?
    Any help would be appreciated

2. Feb 4, 2007 #2 of 16
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Nobody really knows. I would suggest adding HBO now just in case.

3. Feb 4, 2007 #3 of 16
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    If that is how it's going to work, I would do it no later than February 5th (tomorrow) and would really probably do it today.

4. Feb 4, 2007 #4 of 16
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    In the past adding a premium service hasn't changed your base package, but if you upgraded to TC+ today and Tues. decided you would rather have TC you wouldn't be able to go back you would only be able to purchase "CHOICE" programming.

5. Feb 4, 2007 #5 of 16
    hornetsfan30m

hornetsfan30m AllStar

Jun 26, 2006

ONCE AGIN OLD SUBS ARE NOT LOSEING ANYTHING

TC IS GONe if you upgrade and try to come back

HBO does not have to do a thing with it just the base pak

6. Feb 4, 2007 #6 of 16
    serenstarlight

serenstarlight Legend

Sep 16, 2006
    Any change that you make to your programming will affect the current programming. If you forgot hbo will be increasing by a $1 so therefore to change his package after Feb 5th would require a complete change to his current package.

7. Feb 4, 2007 #7 of 16
    hornetsfan30m

hornetsfan30m AllStar

Jun 26, 2006

http://directv.com/images/pdf/blackbuckslip.pdf

[/BChanging premiums on the website does NOT make you choose a new base package] that is not ture info you cant move your base pak you need to call a crs

8. Feb 4, 2007 #8 of 16
    Dbadone

Dbadone Legend

Nov 9, 2006
    Adding a premium has never and will never effect the base package price. He will still be able to keep the current tc plus with no change unless he changes his base package.

9. Feb 5, 2007 #9 of 16
    Mrpalmer420

Mrpalmer420 Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    I respectfully disagree. There are many people on this forum who were told that any change in a package eg adding a premium, taking a premium away, would make the customer change to the current packages. All will be eventually converted but if you keep it the same then they will allow you to stay the same for a little longer.

10. idlehands

idlehands AllStar

Jul 14, 2006
    What exactly is the difference between TC and TC+? I've looked at both their listings and can't see what channels + has that TC doesn't. Directv's website is stupid. When you click on an more expensive package, they should indicate what that particular package has that the less expensive ones don't, instead of listing every useless channel in the lineup.

11. downrange

downrange Cool Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Pre-price increase/pkg shuffle, TC+ has I think biography channel, history international, diy, gofl channel(?), military channel and I think at least one more decent channel I can't think of plus maybe another 1 or 2 not-so-useful channels.

Post pkg shuffle TC is pretty decimated (losing Speed and a pile of other v good channels).

12. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006

This may help:

http://directv.com/see/pdf/chnllineup.pdf

13. aphoward

aphoward Legend

Sep 8, 2006
    It does show the differencs for me. When I click "Compare Base Packages", it shwos me TC and the channels it carries, then i click on TC+ and it shows the TC package and then separately the unique channels to TC+, and the same for Premiere, showing those channels separately also.

14. mstecker

mstecker Mentor

Oct 5, 2006
    So when does all this take effect? It seems I'm reading March 1st? My 4-months free Premiere for the price of the NFL package is running up this week and I'm not sure what to do... Should I change it now and will it make me change it again later or what? I'm thinking I'll just call maybe...

15. Cerus

Cerus AllStar

Feb 7, 2007
    It's actually a pretty big difference in packages now.

From what I can tell after going through the before and after channel list...TC had 155 channels, Choice now has only 144 with one local channel, OLN (now Versus) E!, ESPN Classic, Discovery Health, Fox Reality, Fuel TV, G4, National Geographic, Oxygen, Sleuth, Speed and WGN all being moved to Choice XTRA. Choice Extra/Plus/Plus HD still has a total of185 channels.

Choice appears to have a couple new channels now although I was getting a couple of these before the change...guess they added those beforehand. It doesn't look like anything has been dropped but the basic lineup has taken a huge hit in channels despite the price hike. I'm lucky I switched to TC+ last week and locked in a discounted price. I would have been pretty PO'd having to switch to a much higher package just to keep those channels I like.

16. serenstarlight

serenstarlight Legend

Sep 16, 2006
    Well I guess I haven't been working for DTV for the last 7 years and haven't experienced the last few price increases, my apologies.
    If a rep is doing their job "correctly" they are required to convert any services over even if it's just the premium service changing.
    Do you work for DTV? If so perhaps you should get with your supervisor before you give out incorrect information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.