1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

directv protection plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lartomar2002, May 21, 2010.

1. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    i own my directv receiver will directv protection plan replace it if it goes bad?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I believe so, but if you upgrade during the replacement, all bets are off. It might then be leased.

3. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    it was an upgrade from sd to hd

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Owned is replaced with owned via PP.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Let's be clear:

If you own a receiver, and it dies and is replaced under the Protection Plan (which will ONLY replace that receiver with a receiver in the same family), then the replaced receiver will also be owned.

So, if you have an owned SD-DVR, and it dies, the PP will replace it with another owned SD-DVR.

BUT... if you UPGRADE, meaning you change receiver types, then the Protection Plan isn't involved, and it's a leased upgrade.

If you have an SD-DVR that dies, and you call in, and they offer to replace it with another SD-DVR, that's the Protection Plan. If you then ask "can I get an HD-DVR instead?" and they say "sure", you are UPGRADING, and your upgrade receiver is leased.

The 4 types of receivers are:

- SD Receiver
    - SD-DVR
    - HD Receiver
    - HD-DVR

You cannot change from one type to another without it being considered an upgrade.

6. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    i purchased the hd22-100 used and now it has gone bad so you mean they will repace it with another previously owned hd-dvr?

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If (and that's a big if) your receiver is really owned, then DIRECTV will replace it with another receiver of the same family (as previous described by BZ), and that replacement receiver will also be owned.

Whether or not the receiver they send you is new or a refurb, I do not know.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    And neither does DirecTV, although in most cases it will be a refurb.

- Merg

9. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    i do own it, dtv was notified and concurred it was not a leased receiver when i callled to upgrade.

10. satguy22

satguy22 Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    They will get you in the end. Sorry

11. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    No they won't. Directv replaced my 'owned' H20 with a H21 without issue. And yes, I still own the H21.

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If you called to UPGRADE, then you're going to be UPGRADED and end up with a leased receiver.

The only way your owned receiver will be replaced with another owned receiver is if it is replaced by the protection plan, and when that happens, you will receive the same type of receiver that you had before. SD receivers will be replaced with SD receivers. SD-DVRs will be replaced with SD-DVRs. HD receivers will be replaced with HD receivers. Etc.

If you change receiver types, say, HD receiver to HD-DVR, that is NOT a protection plan replacement, but an UPGRADE, and UPGRADES do not retain owned status.

13. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    i upgraded before having problems.