DirecTV Protection Plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ratoren, Oct 19, 2016.

1. ratoren

ratoren AllStar

Dec 28, 2005
    Coming up on my first month with DTV - when I'll have to decide if I want to cancel the protection plan. On the plus side, the protection plan provides new equipment every two years. On the other hand, it looks like the HR44 and C61 receivers are extremely reliable.

Do you recommend or not recommend continuing with the protection plan for $10/month for the next two years?

2. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    I would DEFINATELY KEEP the protection Plan.
    That way you will be assured you will be OUT an additional $ 10.00 each Month on BRAND NEW Equipment.
    Kinda like buying a NEW TV and hope it fails so you can collect on your warranty.
    DirecTV will replace any piece of equipment that fails, just for the Shipping Fee. About $ 20.00
    On the plus side, the protection plan provides new equipment every two years.
    Hope that Promise works better than the FREE Debit Cards, everyone is stillll waiting for.

3. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    It's 7.99 for the basic and 19.99 for the premier, not sure where the 10.00 is coming from

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Personally no I wouldn't. I bet on nothing breaking and if it does I'd pay then myself. Granted I can do a lot of work myself. And in two years I'll bet they'd upgrade for free anyway. But then you never know... it's up to you. For some people it's a great deal. For others not so much. It's a personal call I think.

5. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I wouldn't buy a new piece of electronics without the premier plan. When asked if I want an extended warranty, I always get to say no without hesitation. Everything I've ever made a claim on has been resulted in an upgraded piece of equipment, and the claim process has always been smooth.

1 person likes this.
  6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Agree. I too have the Protection Plan Premier. A few months ago the mother board on my five year old 55" HDTV failed. Because of it's age support and parts weren't available. DIRECTV replaced it with a Sony XBR-55X900C Smart LED 4K Ultra HDTV.

1 person likes this.
  7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The thing about "new equipment" is that it's based on a definition you may not agree with. It's not an upgrade from say an HR44 to a HR54. It's an change in class. So it would be for something that's not a Genie. That something doesn't exist currently, but may in the future.

Same with the client, it wouldn't be an upgrade to a hypothetical C71.

If I didn't have owned equipment, I wouldn't have the plan myself.

8. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    That is what I thought, Where did Ratoren come up with $ 10.00 ??

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Mmm, I might just change my mind about the Premier plan. I've always had the first tier plan and as time went by and I accumulated more owned HRs the first tier plan became necessary for me to maintain that owned status. I gotta give this some thought...

Rich

10. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    With the Premier plan everything you use with DIRECTV (PCs, AVRs, Speakers, TVs, ect.) is covered and will either be repaired or replaced with equal or greater value.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    OK, I'm gonna upgrade to the Premier tier. As usual, I have nothing but the utmost respect for your opinions and will just do the upgrade. Thanx.

Rich

1 person likes this.
  12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  13. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    Go to www.directv.com/technology/protection_plan and you will see what is included in the $7.99 plan. I purchased the plan mainly for realignment and line of sight problems. Trees branches that get in the way of my satellite dish and the two year upgrade of equipment. This plan basically covers your whole system if something goes wrong with it. That appealed to me a lot. Hope this helps!

14. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    I have been mulling this over myself. I have had the protection plan for a couple of years. So that is $95.88 a year (not sure if there is tax on it too). Unless one has a truck roll and needs at least two receivers replaced (shipping cost), I am not sure it is worth it. Since my dish is pole mounted and I have a spare LNB, needing a truck roll is highly unlikely. I have one HR20 with a bad HDMI port, so I may let them replace that and then just cancel it.

15. TechMagik14

TechMagik14 New Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Denver,...
    poppo

Posted Today, 05:18 PM

I have been mulling this over myself. I have had the protection plan for a couple of years. So that is $95.88 a year (not sure if there is tax on it too). Unless one has a truck roll and needs at least two receivers replaced (shipping cost), I am not sure it is worth it. Since my dish is pole mounted and I have a spare LNB, needing a truck roll is highly unlikely. I have one HR20 with a bad HDMI port, so I may let them replace that and then just cancel it.

I just wanted to give you a heads up. If you cancel the Protection Plan within the first year of having it, they can charge you for the cost of anything you have used it for. I would not recommend using, and then cancelling.

16. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    I've already had it for at least 3 years.

17. paranoia

paranoia DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 12, 2014
    New England
    Please remember that their is a fifty dollar deductible, each,for every item, every time,even if they have fixed it before,I know from personal experience .

18. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    Do you mean for people that do not have the protection plan? Anytime I have a service call - DIRECTV does not charge me a fee. The protection plan does have benefits.

19. HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    He's talking about for the Premier. If your TV dies there is a $50 service fee. Not a big deal if you have an expensive TV that dies.

Sent from my LG K7 using Tapatalk

20. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    While true when you consider the cost of repairing/replacing expensive equipment like HDTVs, AVRs, PCs, Speakers, Routers, Modems, the $50.00 deductible is miniscule.

2 people like this.