1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv question.....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Keith4USC, Nov 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith4USC

Keith4USC Guest

My nephew just moved in new home with his new wife..... He wants a satellite dish and I told him I would buy him one for Christmas.... My question is should I get the regular directv or the one that feeds off of several satellites.... They don't offer locals in my area and I'm not sure what the difference is..... I have a Dish system but he wants a Directv..... Any assistance would be appreciated.....

Also, he has no HDTV.....

2. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    If you are going to spend the money I would get him the multi slot dish, there are many places that only charge you a few bucks more for the multi slot dish.

This way in the future he decides he does want to upgrade to HD or locals are made available he will be ready. Also if he wants to add receivers he can add up to 4 with the multi dish while with a standard dish you can only feed 2 tvs with the default equipment.

3. Keith4USC

Keith4USC Guest

I think I will do that..... Thanks.....

4. markh

markh Hall Of Fame

Mar 24, 2002
    If you're getting the multi-slot dish try to get one of the new 18"x20" dishes. From what I have read they are prety nifty. Sounds like a little better signal strength and easier to aim.

5. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    What a great Uncle you are Keith!

6. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    Depending on the offers though, he could be getting off the hook pretty cheap or free :lol:

7. Keith4USC

Keith4USC Guest

Yes, the system is free if you subscribe to total choice for a year...... I told my nephew I would buy him HBO for a year..... When the guy at the dealer told me of the offer, I decided to give a directv a shot myself..... Mine will get hooked up on Friday and my nephews will be in mid december (he is not NFL fan so no biggie on NFL ticket).... I get the remaining NFL ticket free and 3 months of showtime...... I'm pretty sure my ole lady will like this christmas gift (roflmao).....

I think we have interactive receivers (whatever that is).... I think the receivers are the basic ones (something like GAEBO receiver w/director pack).... We didn't get the plus system but the dealer said if our locals were ever added (which they want unless the merger goes thru), that directv would offer to change our system..... This might be hogwash but this dealer is a pretty honest guy......

I will know after Friday which system has the best PQ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.