DirecTV really wants to sell PPVs.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Jon J, Jan 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    I entered channel 17 on the remote controlling one of my HR20s and it instead took me to channel 177...a PPV channel, I think. On the screen I had three choices; view now, record for later, upcoming showing. Nothing about how to back out of this screen. Hitting EXIT did nothing.

After trying everything I could think of I finally enabled the other tuner and was able to select a channel there. Thankfully the PPV selection screen had disappeard.

If you mistakenly land on a PPV channel, is there an easy way to "just say no"?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Hit Guide...just worked for me. Previous also worked.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    When I boo boo, I simply use Prev button too.

4. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Wow :lol:

5. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    That may be the one button on the remote I did not try. Thanks. ;)

6. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    My new TV has Netflix built in, and my Apple TV rents movies $1 to $2 cheaper than DirecTV. Combine that with my drifting audio sync experience with a 1080p rental last weekend (which I rented only to see what 1080p on DirecTV looked like), I think I'll not be bothering with DirecTV PPV at all anymore myself.

7. TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011
    But, Netflix streaming content lags pretty far behind wrt new releases. Don't know about Apple. That said, the $6 HD rentals from D* are kinda pricey, imo, esp. if you're willing to go to the local RedBox kiosk and get the same movie on Blu-Ray for $1.50.

8. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Right, but I don't care a whit about when I get to see a movie. In fact, there's dang few I care to see at all :lol:

9. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    To me the question of DIRECTV PPV comes down to the worth and value I ascribe to the services...

With DIRECTV I can rent a recently released movie (one movie) for $4 to $7 and watch it as many times as I want in 24 hours.

With Netflix I have to wait for recent releases and can watch as many movies and shows as many times as I want for 720 hours (average of 30 days) for $7 a month.

Is it more important to watch newer releases at a higher rate per instance or to watch "older" releases as often as desired for a lower rate per title?

I prefer to have more choices for more days for the lower rate (Netflix) than fewer choices for a single day, even if those choices are newer (DIRECTV).

10. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Well, I think you have hit on something: if DTV wants to sell PPVs they need to make them affordable, and not disenfranchise 95% of their customers with ridiculous charges. RedBox is successful for a very good reason; a buck a movie makes good sense to everyone who walks by one.

I know most of the dough goes back to the studio, but servers are inexpensive these days and VOD technology is maturing. Apple keeps 30%; DTV should still be able to compete at an even thinner margin than that. If they can't, they need to make a better deal.

It would seem that the old heroin dealer's "first one's free" business model might have served them better than simply overpricing everything. Sell PPVs at cost for a limited time and get folks into the habit, ferchrissakes. It sounds like their own greed has priced them out of the market. If I were their marketing guy (and I am far from being anyone's marketing guy) I would have "two-fers" on Fridays for the entire summer of 2012; rent one, get one free (both expiring in 24 hours). Then folks would at least see the value and be accustomed to the workflow, meaning they might buy more.

They are also not all that convenient; they sent me a free one last year and I never even used it because of the hassle and the 24-hour restrictions.

11. TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011
    By the time a movie gets to Netflix streaming, I've usually forgotten that I wanted to see it. :lol:

12. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    And sometimes, that equals 1/2 or 3/4 or something. When you have kids, sometimes you get interrupted when trying to watch a movie. And with some of these newer movies hitting 2.5+ hours, watching all of one on a school night is a non-starter.

So I don't bother. Much easier to rent it and keep it an extra night if you need to. And DirecTV can say it is the Studios forcing this, well then they need to explain why U-Verse can do some of its PPV's for 48 hours. Do they have less clout with the Studios that U-Verse? :eek2:

If you are going to make a copy, you are going to do it in the time it takes to watch the movie. That extra 24 hours is not going to make a difference.

So as it is now, I usually wait for them to come on one of the Premiums, record it, keep it as long as I want, and watch it at my convenience. That's the best value for me.

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    To the original question. I think that happened to me once and I just entered another channel number and that worked.

14. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    We watched "Midnight in Paris" a few weeks ago on FiOS VOD. We had a 48-hour viewing window. I'm not sure that applies to all of the FiOS movies.