1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Receivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lplace, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lplace

lplace New Member

Dec 20, 2002
    I am considering a purchase of a DirecTV system. Is there any
    difference between the various brands of receivers? Do any of them
    have a faster guide? What about quality differences? Any other info
    appreciated.

Logan

2. platinum

platinum Godfather/Supporter

Oct 28, 2002
    I would go with the Directivo receiver, I recommend the HDVR2

3. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I would go to a place like Best Buy and check out as many as you can to see which interface you like best.

I'd recommend a PVR, but if you aren't interested, there are differences between the standard receivers of RCA, Samsung, Hughes, etc. You need to determine what your requirements are. Do you want component video? Do you want Dolby Digital output? Make sure your receiver has everything you want when you first get it. They are much more expensive once you are a subscriber.

I have had good luck with RCA, but others prefer Hughes.

4. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Most receivers are made by Hughes anymore. I've seen some great looking Samsung receivers and have heard great things about them. I'd just try out the remotes and see which ones you like. I personally don't care for RCA remotes, but that is just personal preference.

5. David W

David W Cool Member

Nov 5, 2002
    I love the RCA remotes (especially my UHF ones). I can't stand the Hughes remotes as they seem to be missing many of the buttons I need and don't allow me to control as many devices.

6. beegfoot

beegfoot AllStar

Jan 15, 2003
    If you can afford the tivo, do it! I have 2 hughes tivos and a hughes GAEB0 and have had no problems.

I like the hughes standard remote because of simplicity, especially for older customers. And the extended warranty on the G series is a plus.

I priced a new hughes DVR at circuit city today at 249. Your local dealer may not want to sell it that low unless you're a new customer.

Good luck .

7. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    Go for a DirecTivo. You won't be sorry!
    If a PVR isn't your cup of tea, then Hughes recv GAEBOA (Make sure it has an 'A" on the end. 'A' means advanced program guide which translates into three days worth of guide data and a picture in guide that stays on the channel you are watching while you check out other shows. The GAEBO is a nice recv too, but only carries about 2-4 hours of guide data and won't keep the picture in guide when you check out future shows.

8. LarryS

LarryS Legend

Apr 22, 2002
    Although I've gone with two HDVR2s for a while I tinkered with getting one along with a basic receiver. As far as I know only the higher model basic receiver had event timers for VCR recording. If you decide on a non-PVR then having the receiver controlling your VCR made recording much simpler. In the Hughes line I think it was the executive director.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.