Directv Remote and Apple TV remote

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by itzme, Sep 13, 2020.

1. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Has anyone gotten their Apple TV to learn the Directv remote? I’m referencing Apple TV’s Learn Remote functionality. I’d love to find a way to just have the RC 73 control both devices.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Your post is confusing. You speak of using the ATV as a remote control but you want to use the RC73.

The ATV uses Bluetooth for its remote and the RC73 doesn't do Bluetooth so the RC73 isn't going to be your friend. There are multiple Logitech remotes and three or four others that are compatible with the ATV and that's the extent of your choices for universal remotes that work with the ATV.

3. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    The ATV can use a universal infrared (IR) remote.

techguy88 and Dishdude714 like this.
  4. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    If you ditch D* completely but like the Genie remote you can use the Apple TV (4th and 5th Generations) "Learn Remote" feature to use 1 Genie Remote to control an Apple TV and TV. The Apple TV learns how to use various third party remotes (including Harmony based remotes) via IR not RF/Bluetooth.

If you want a D* remote than can control a D* receiver (including H44/HR44+ and C41+), TV and Apple TV then you want a DirecTV Universal Remote (commonly referred to as the White remote). The reason being is it has the ability to control 4 separate devices (D* receiver, TV and two other devices). The RC7x+ remotes (Grey/Genie remote) can only control the Genie/Genie Mini plus the power, volume and mute of a TV.

The DirecTV Universal Remote (aka White Remote) can be programmed to work with an Apple TV. If you have a RC6x+ remote lying around what you do is:
    • Move the mode switch to AV1 or AV2
    • Press and hold Select + Mute
    • Enter the code 00002 or 0003
      • This tricks the remote into thinking you want to program it to control a 2nd or 3rd D* receiver. However this is the only way to make all buttons on the remote (except for Vol +/- and Mute) available for use in AV1 or AV2 mode.
    • Complete the "Learn Remote" setup process while the RC6x+ remote is in AV1 or AV2.
    • Now you can control a D* receiver via the D* mode, an Apple TV via AV1 or AV2 and a TV via TV mode.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    itzme likes this.
  5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I can use my Samsung TV remotes to control my ATVs but I'm not sure you can get an RC73 to control an ATV.

Rich

itzme likes this.