1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Remote Control Software for windows?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by morrison22, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Apr 6, 2009 #1 of 27
    morrison22

morrison22 New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Hi. I have an HR22-100. I lost my remote. I was wondering if there is ay software available for windows that will allow me to control my receiver from windows. Its networked so it has an IP address. Is there anything out there?

Thanks

2. Apr 6, 2009 #2 of 27
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    There are ways to control DIRECTV receivers via serial connections from a PC to the receiver, with a thread somewhere around here for it, but your best bet is to find a new or used DIRECTV remote on eBay or elsewhere. They are sold in Best Buy and other chains for under $25, but you may also want to consider a universal remote, as there are some very inexpensive remotes in the same price range that may work for you.

3. Apr 6, 2009 #3 of 27
    Don Moe

Don Moe Mentor

May 21, 2005
    I recommend just ordering a new RC64RB backlighted remote from DirecTV for $25 plus tax. They didn't charge shipping when I bought it last year. This remote is just like the standard remote, but has a button on the right side to switch the backlighting on or off. This should really be the standard remote!

Don
    Jupiter, FL

4. Apr 6, 2009 #4 of 27
    MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    The only way to control the HR22-100 from a computer is via a serial port. I have a small Windows CE computer with 2 serial ports and an ethernet port. It connects to and controls both my TV and my HR21-700 via the serial ports. Any computer on the network can then control the TV and HR21 with an on screen remote.

5. Apr 6, 2009 #5 of 27
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    can you expand on this? actual setup, on screen remote program, ect.
    I have been interested in this but keep forgetting to look into it.
    any info would be appreciated.

6. Apr 6, 2009 #6 of 27
    Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
  7. Apr 6, 2009 #7 of 27
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I will look at them, thanks.

8. Apr 6, 2009 #8 of 27
    MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I have a small industrial computer running Windows CE that was left over from a project I did several years ago. The client didn't want the test computer back as it was already becoming obsolete.

I wrote a program using the documents listed above to control the HR21 over a serial port. On any computer in my house I can run an on screen remote control to control the HR. My tv can also be controlled through a serial port, so I added support for it also.

There are commercially available programs for controlling the HR series via an on screen remote control.

9. Apr 6, 2009 #9 of 27
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I think I see, thanks.

10. morrison22

morrison22 New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Do you have any links to sites that show a review of the commercialy available software, or information on them?

11. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I do not have any information on them. I looked at one a couple months ago. Don't remember how I found it. I think it was a link from a DBSTalk post, but I am not sure.

12. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
  13. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Slingbox/player can do this... might be kind of an expensive/cumbersome solution for you though.

14. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Works here just fine...not cumbersome....and a Sling SOLO can be bought on sale for a pretty reasonable price.

It's also nice when you are traveling...:)

15. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    good and interesting info, thank you.

16. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    It really depends on what "you" need ... If you only want to control the DVR from the same room, then I contend that hooking up a Slingbox, networking it, arranging for a PC to be in the room and also networked, and installing the software ... well, that may just be a tad cumbersome! :lol:

Any other use where more than just a remote control feature is needed is just fine! :)

17. tenholde

tenholde Mentor

Aug 17, 2007
    You can send IR signals from your pc easily with several products. Try search for IrTrans.

You can distribute by wire the IR all around the house to any TV or other device. Search for Xantech

tenholde

18. jgbrown54

jgbrown54 New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Ok. I got tired of lots of people talking about implementing the DirecTV SHEF on windows and no one doing it. There are several applications for Android around that implement it and they work very well. But I couldn't find one for Windows and when I did, it seemed to be a SPAM site.

So I implemented my own. They won't let post URLs because I'm new so we'll try this.........it can be found at instipics.com/DirecTV Remote 1009.zip

It is new and a work in progress so check back often.

After loading it, you will be asked for the IP address of your DirecTV receiver. It will communicate with your receiver over a network so your receiver must be connected. DIRECTV STBs may support Network Connections via an Ethernet Port and/or a Coax Connection. It is critical that only one of these interfaces be used and that both network types not be connected simultaneously on a given STB. Use of the Coax Connection is preferred. A DIRECTV Ethernet to Coax Adapter (DECA) may be used to bridge the Coax Network to the Home Ethernet Network.

In order to use SHEF in your network, it must be enabled in the set-top box by navigating to the “External Device” settings screen (Menu->System Setup->Whole-Home->External Device) screen. Once on this screen select “Allow” for “External Access”.

19. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Wont install...says I need Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs Version 10.0.0.0 be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first.

I have no idea what that is, but maybe you could include all the files needed in the zip?

Nevermind, found it at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=145727&clcid=0x804 but after installing that, it says its missing something else. To much trouble.

20. jgbrown54

jgbrown54 New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Oops. Sorry. I guess I was in too big of a hurry. I never tried installing anywhere except on my PC which obviously has the required files.

Let me republish it and try it on a different PC before I say it's ready again.