1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Service Plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tonyoci, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 117
    tonyoci

tonyoci Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    I am not familiar with this program. Can someone explain it ? Can you add it at anytime ???

Thanks as usual.

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 117
    Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    If you mean the Protection Plan, I think it's 5.99/mo? Basically it covers equipment and service calls for as long as you're paying for it. Replace a box, align a dish, fix/replace cabling and switches etc.

And yes you can add it at any time.

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 117
    tonyoci

tonyoci Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    This is not the case but wouldn't that mean that I could wait until I had a defect and then add the plan and call a day or two later ???

Thanks for the response

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 117
    parkerdt

parkerdt Mentor

Oct 26, 2006
    Read the fine print and you'll see that is has to be on your account for 30 days before you actually can use it, presumably to prohibit just what you describe...

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 117
    SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    30 Day waiting period.......

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 117
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    You can add it at any time, but upon adding it, it does not take effect for 30 days. You also should not get charged for it for thoe 30 days. Also, when you do sign up for the plan, you are committing to keep it for at least twelve months, or pay a $10 cancellation fee.

It should cover the cost of replacing an owned receiver if that receiver dies. In the case of a leased receiver, the receiver itself is covered, but if you have the PP, the shipping cost of a needed replacement will be free versus $19.95 if you don't have the plan. Also, under the lease the receiver is the only part of your equipment that is covered - the cables, multi-switch, dish, remote are not covered. Those are covered under the protection plan.

If they need to send a tech out for a relignment or equipment problem, it will cost you $70 for the service call if you do not have the plan. With the PP, that service call charge is waived.

It's something you have to think about - are you comfortable doing all your own work, or for some reason maybe unable to? How much does the 'peace of mind' factor play in your decision. Not everybody wants it. I've had it for many years and have had to take advantage of it a few times, most recently when my original HR10-250 died and they replaced it free with an HR20 - no charge for the DVR or shipping.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I type too slow! :) There was only one response when I started. Oh well, what they said.

7. Oct 8, 2007 #7 of 117
    Clato

Clato Banned User

Aug 30, 2007
    ===============================
    and cancel the plan a week or so AFTER your system is FIXED,thats one reason am GLAD,they have the 30 day wait & the 12 month sign up, ===============================================
    i just resigned up for another 12 months,(contract 2yr for equipment) ends in November and i just re signed up,(think i got a good deal) I also consider the protection plan like 911, you may never use the emergency services, but its nice to know its there.
    clato,

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 117
    gizzorge

gizzorge Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    This is a different thing to different people. I think it's worth it. I have paid $6 a month since February. That's $48, including this month. I have had two service calls after the 90-day window went by, one requiring parts - more than a $140 value for $50? Sounds like a good deal to me. :)

But then again, I could pay $6 a month for 3 years and never need another service call... then I'd just have to suck it up and deal.

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9 of 117
    tonyoci

tonyoci Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    The main reason I would want it would be as a protection against a receiver going wrong. So it seems that would be covered.

I have two HR20's, one just leased, the first one has had an intermittent problem that I was unable to reproduce during the two onsite warranty calls. If I decide to get the plan (understanding the 30days and 12 months rule) then I could call on that issue after 30 days right if I can reproduce it ???

10. Oct 8, 2007 #10 of 117
    tonyoci

tonyoci Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    I just called and asked some questions.

DTV is saying

1) It does cover cabling, multiswitch and receivers
    2) It covers the cost of any onsite visits from a technician also
    3) It covers all my receivers, even the old DirecTIVO one's I already have.

Now this may not be accurate of course but this is what they told me :)

11. Oct 8, 2007 #11 of 117
    SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    Since the receiver is leased, you can call now and get a replacement, but in that situation they will charge $19.95 for shipping. You may be able to talk your way out of it, or maybe not:grin:

12. Oct 8, 2007 #12 of 117
    tonyoci

tonyoci Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    The two times I called on it they never offered a replacement, just to send a tech out which would cost $70 min now (free with the plan)

13. Oct 8, 2007 #13 of 117
    CPanther95

CPanther95 Legend

Apr 2, 2007
    It has been invaluable for me over the years. Basically, upgrades all your equipment whenever it goes bad - because typically you get the current receiver available whenever it needs replaced.

2 of 4 HD-Tivos have been replaced with HR20s. My DTC-100 was upgraded 4 times (last time to a H20).

14. Oct 8, 2007 #14 of 117
    ShadowFree

ShadowFree Cool Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Leased? My old Phillips Tivo which I owned, was not a lease unit died and was replaced. It was replaced with a R15 under the protection plan. The bill now shows the R15 as a leased item. Is this correct? Owned goes to Leased under the plan. Yes both are billed at 4.99, but that could change. + the .50 month tax for the leased unit. Do I have to give back this unit?

15. Oct 8, 2007 #15 of 117
    mexican-bum

mexican-bum "Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

Feb 25, 2006
    it should still be owned, they messed up. you will need to call and get fixed. Access card distribution team or a sup is the only ones that will be able to change it. As they are the only one's that have access to stms.

16. Oct 9, 2007 #16 of 117
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    That is accurate.

Yes, you could. As for the problem you are having now (and without the plan), there are certain problems that come up that they can diagnose over the phone and it's clear the box died. In those cases, they may send you a replacement without rolling a Tech, but especially if there's and intermittent problem that you are not able to reproduce, they're going to roll a Tech and not just send a new unit - therefore, a $70 charge.

17. Oct 9, 2007 #17 of 117
    vurbano

vurbano Godfather

May 15, 2004
    Yes but you have to wait 30 days to call in with the problem. Its also the only way not to get snookered into another 2 year commitment if your HD DVR breaks. IF you can believe that, almost sounds illegal. "If our eqiupment that you are renting craps out we get your a@@ for another 2 years unless you pay the protection ransom fee"

18. Oct 9, 2007 #18 of 117
    marksman

marksman Godfather

Dec 23, 2006
    I don't know about that. Depending on when it was it could be a lease. They do replace owned boxes with leased boxes. There is no evidence here to support why this would not be a lease.

When the box you own stops working, they don't give you a new box to own for free. They would charge you for it or make a deal for it. But they don't sell boxes anymore, so you would get a lease one. If it was any time in the last year or so, it is almost definately a lease.

The problem with boxes being mislabeled had to do with boxes that were bought beore they began leasing boxes.

19. Oct 9, 2007 #19 of 117
    stsrep

stsrep AllStar

Mar 10, 2007
    Don't nickel and dime over this.
    The plan is cheap insurance for anything that goes wrong with your D* equipment.
    Well worth the cost IF anything craps out.

20. Oct 9, 2007 #20 of 117
    surfbird

surfbird Legend

Sep 9, 2006
    very well said.. a few things I saw that may need to be covered.. commitment is not continued.. w/pp ok..

Now, for the rest of you bickering over the Owned vs Leased below..

I know YOU paid for a ird & you own it.. but.. that was before the new program started.. You owned & it & w/o the plan or w/dtv replacing it w/o the plan. Lets think of it this way & maybe it makes more sense..

DTV is replacing a ird that can be or maybe considered obsolute in the first place.. obviously if the tivo cannot be replaced w/a tivo.. sorry we don't carry those anymore.. BUT DTV is replacing that not working ird w/a working one at no cost..

Why should you still own it?? dtv is replacing it again?? But hey if you want to own another one, sure.. dtv would let you.. You just need to ask to pay the owned price & they will say, ' that will be $399 + dh' Ok does the replacement program start to sound better?? whether w/PP or not??

Geez, I have been customer for like 9 yrs & I'd rather have PP & know my ird is replaced w/no cost or commitment.. I've never used the stuff but.. I know it is there.. I have a hr-20, h20, 4 standard irds.. I don't want to pay for it.. & I understand why your frustrated w/info.. most reps don't feel the need to truly explain it till you have the "well sir, I don't see you have the PP" speech, when you have a technical issue.. would you not rather save that if at all possible. I know how annoying I feel when I say that. so I try to explain the pp more so they understand & understand.. hey I have it I haven't had to use it but in these cases it comes in handy.. which btw, dtv feels I give out to much personal info w/my compare my experiences w/the cust like this, but I feel that reinforces that I understand YOU as a customer since I'm a customer way longer than a rep..

It really is worth it.. & btw.. if you don't get things resolved.. technical wise.. retention isn't the only folks now that can help.. especially tech unresolved.. it is called case management & a request has to be put in for them to look at the unresolved issues so they can get to work finding a way to fix, whether or not install or pp issue where they didn't help..

I love my job & all ya'll guys, dtv doesn't do things to snucker you in for longer.. we offer the equpmnt at lower cost or free & just want you to stay a cust.. what is wrong w/that.. & btw lease is not a rental, lease is a different tag that lets DTV know.. that is dtvs equpmnt that comes back to dtv.. no extra charge because the leased additional ird charge it you mirroring fee same as it has been since like 2000 or 2001.. why so many reps & customers misunderstand I haven't figured that out. Things have changed for the better on equpmnt cost.. really..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.