1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV/Sinclair Broadcasting dispute - WWMT (West MI CBS affiliate)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by johndoe1000, Feb 19, 2013.

1. johndoe1000

johndoe1000 New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    So Sinclair Broadcast Group is apparently trying to hold up DirecTV? We are due to lose our CBS station on March 1. They are scrolling on the bottom of the station during the news to call and bug DirecTV for them. Yet they neglect to say WHY the signal will be pulled. I had to search the internet long and hard to find out about Sinclair and this issue. I enjoy this part of their statement the most:

Q: Doesn't this punish the consumer?

A: Consumers have other means for obtaining the Sinclair stations, such as their local cable company, Dish Network, in some cases either Verizon FiOS or AT&T U-verse or over-the-air, and so, while we recognize and apologize for the inconvenience associated with switching providers, no significant detriment to the consumer will result from DirecTV’s failure to carry these stations.

What a crock. It simply 'looks' like blackmail being perpetrated by Sinclair.....either DirecTV pay them their demands, or they screw the consumer. And their stations reach approximately 27.1% of U.S. households.

In my case, my only option for receiving my CBS affiliate, WWMT, is by Satellite. They have poor OTA signal in my area, and there is no cable service or FIOS to my home. I have had DirecTV for over 10 years. I have a DVR filled with stuff, so switching to DISH is 110% inconvenient, and a non-starter. In fact, DirecTV has always accommodated me with breaks on billing whenever I've brought up a possible switch away from them for price increases or what have you. You could say I'm fairly loyal to them after so many years, and happy with the service.

On the other hand, the local CBS affiliate WWMT seems to be operated like a 3 ring circus, and has always seemed to have had transmission issues. In fact, there is a discussion on this very forum about that station from a couple of years ago.

I am frankly extremely fed up with these broadcasting conglomerates pulling this crap constantly. It seems every month you hear about some dispute between a carrier and a broadcaster. There is no reason this should be tolerated by the FCC, especially in the case of OTA network stations.

Here are a couple more beauties by Sinclair:

Q: Wasn’t Sinclair given the airwaves by the government?

A: Sinclair has paid billions of dollars over time to purchase our TV stations and to be able to use the public airwaves. Additionally, each of our stations pays an annual fee to the government, so no the airwaves weren’t given to us for free.

Q: Isn’t this just about greed?

A: No. It’s about us being a publicly traded company that has a fiduciary responsibility to operate the company profitably. Given that we spend millions of dollars each year to buy and produce high-quality programming, it is only right and fair that satellite companies compensate us fairly for a portion of our cost, especially since they are re-selling our content to their subscribers. In addition, the inability to reach agreement with DirecTV is related to other material matters besides the amount we are to be paid.

(The above was an excerpt from Sinclair's DirecTV retrans statement, but because I am a noob on this board, it will not let me post the URL to the full statement)

This is what happens when monopolies - or monopoly-like companies - dominate an industry. The consumer has no other CBS option, other than their local station. Lip service is paid by the conglomerate that you can "easily" switch carriers, but they put the onus on the CUSTOMER to bend over backwards knowing they have them over a barrel if that person wants to watch programming on their network, which is simply ridiculous. They try to make the CUSTOMER their lapdog, prodding them to call the carrier and complain, when the choice to pull the signal lies SOLELY with the conglomerate.

We have reached a point in this country where we are but pawns caught between corporations that have grown too big to care about every customer.....or at least they THINK they're too big to have to care, but as we've seen time and again in the last several years, even the biggest companies can go bankrupt, or go out of business, and many times this is due to ignoring the customer in favor of some immediate profit effort that often falls short anyway. :mad:

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA