1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTv Skill for Alexa

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MizzouTiger, Jul 12, 2018.

1. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    Directv has apparently released a skill for Amazon Alexa. I tried to add the skill, but when i select "Enable", which requires account linking, I keep getting an error. It tries to connect to myhomenetwork.att.com, not to directv.com. I'm wondering if, in order to use this skill, you have to have your Directv account merged with your AT&T account, which I haven't done. Anyone else use this skill or attempt to set it up?

dtv757 likes this.
  2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I saw the article, could not see a reason to try it. Have you considered the Fire TV Cube, that might do a better job of controlling the D* equipment than the skill.

Rich

3. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    I was just wanting to play around with it a bit and see what all it could do. I "chatted" with Directv on this issue of not being able to link my alexa account with my direct account in order to enable the skill. He said that is was a U-verse issue and switched me over to chat with another rep. After a few exchanges with her, she said it was a Directv issue and offered to switch me over to someone else. At that point, I told her it wasn't worth the effort or hassle and to just forget it. It really shouldn't be that difficult to enable a skill with Alexa. None of the other skills have been.

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, I started to do the same thing. Glad I didn't. Just out of curiosity why did you think a CSR would even know what you were talking about? The Fire TV Cube seems more interesting but it's slower than a Fire Stick, if what I read in the reviews was correct. Hard to believe it could be that slow.

Rich

5. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    Well, I tried contacting Amazon for support initially. They said it was a Directv thing, and to contact them, so I did. I was really just wanting to know if you needed to have your Directv account bundled with your AT&T account in order to get the account linked.

Also, I'm curious now if you would be able to enable this skill at all if you don't have AT&T for internet. When you select to enable the skill, it takes you to the website "myhomenetwork.att.net" which is AT&T's app for managing your home network. You then have to sign into the with your AT&T login info. I happen to have U-Verse for internet (but it still keeps telling my it's unable to link the accounts).

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Makes me wonder if more folks have bundled accounts than just plain D* accounts and nothing from ATT...like my account. Can't believe that many people have the bundles. But...

Rich

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yo do not need to bundle. I set it up and it works pretty well. I will play with it a lot mor latter, but so far I can see using it for getting it to pause playback without having to grab the remote sometimes. Especially if I forget the remote as I get up and head to the other room for something...

8. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    I have an HR 34 receiver which is t Alexa enabled. I use a harmony hub and echo dot to control a lot of stuff like turning tv in/off, changing channels and volume. The only things I can’t figure out to do if even can is to pull up the guide and scroll up or down or pull up my list. Is there a way to do this with the hub if anyone familiar. If not would they upgrade me to an HR 44