1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv sports channels.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by AZ., Apr 2, 2011.

1. Apr 2, 2011 #1 of 16
    AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Stoped by local installer, felt like I was being lied to!!

If you get a add on sports package do you get the pro sports teams broadcasted on those channels?(nba,mlb,nhl)

Im asuming you get all programing but, the sports teams. To force you to get a season pass!

Some one who has it could you explain?...I understand blackouts in areas, but black outs if your 2000 miles away?

Thanks!!!

2. Apr 2, 2011 #2 of 16
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    They're wrong. You need the passes like Extra Innings, Center Ice, etc.

3. Apr 2, 2011 #3 of 16
    Peter305

Peter305 Hall Of Fame

May 24, 2006
    This is correct. ALL pro sports are blacked out unless you have the packages...

4. Apr 2, 2011 #4 of 16
    adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    Of course you have to buy the sports packages for out-of-market games. They wouldn't be offered otherwise.

Blackouts for MLB, NBA, and NHL aren't there to get people to go to the games. They are in place to protect the local broadcaster's market, which can extend across several states.

5. Apr 3, 2011 #5 of 16
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The Sports Package is your Regional Sports Networks (RSN) for your area. You should get all local pro sports with it.

For out of area games, you'll need packages for each pro sport.

6. Apr 3, 2011 #6 of 16
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    No, you get your local RSN whether or not your subscribe to the Sports Pack. The Sports Pack gives you all of the other RSNs, but the pro games will be blacked out on all but your local RSN.

7. Apr 3, 2011 #7 of 16
    SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Just to clear up, for most people, you get the RSN or RSNs that have your local teams' game in the basic package. For example, if you live in northeast Ohio, you would get Sports Time Ohio and Fox Sports Ohio, with the Blue Jackets, Indians, and Cavs games included. If you lived in Arizona, you would get FS Arizona with the Cyotees, Diamondbacks, and Suns. Etc across the country. In the basic package.

The Sports Pack (along with some national sports channels not relevant to this discussion) brings you all of the other RSNs. BUT with ALL MLB, and all live MLS, NHL, NBA, and WNBA, and some (it depends on the syndicator) college content blacked out.

Getting the Sports Pack will not get you any additional major professional sports content. The only exception to this applies to people in rural areas that are equidistant from different major league cities. For example, I live equidistant from Cincinnati/Columbus and Pittsburgh. I get the Cincy/C-bus teams in my basic package, but the Sports Pack gives me the Pittsburgh teams as well.

8. Apr 3, 2011 #8 of 16
    bosco10021

bosco10021 Icon

Apr 16, 2006
  9. Apr 4, 2011 #9 of 16
    Marty711

Marty711 AllStar

Oct 15, 2008
    It's not just rural areas that may get extra pro content via the Sports Pack. I live near Cleveland and the sports pack is the only way to see the Pittsburgh Penguins. Cleveland is considered as part of the Pens territory but FSN Pittsburgh/Root Sports is rarely offered on any cable system in Cleveland. When I had TW, the Pens were routinely blacked out on CI and even worse were blacked out on NHL Network without another way to watch the game. With D*, Root Pittsburgh is offered as a secondary RSN in NE Ohio with the right programming package.

10. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    Same in Fresno, CA. If I add the sports pack, I can watch Lakers (and Clippers) games on the RSNs for southern California.

11. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Makes me wonder if the NBA Kings move to Anaheim, would that mean they become the local NBA team for the San Diego market (since Anaheim is closer) and San Diego then gets shutout of Lakers and Clippers?

12. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    They would probably overlap the markets for the Kings, Clippers and Lakers.

What is the situation with the NHL with the Kings and Ducks?

13. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Probably correct. NHL, both team available.

14. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    It is hard to compare two different sports when it comes to rights and blackouts but Anaheim/LA feels a lot like Washington/Baltimore and in both MLB and the NFL, the markets pretty much overlap here (MLB is an exact overlap, the NFL is slightly different but for all intents and purposes, overlaps except on the extreme north or south).

15. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    The situation is slightly different: Washington and Baltimore are in different media markets/Nielsen DMAs, whereas Los Angeles and Anaheim are not. Which, I think, makes it even more likely that an NBA team in Anaheim would simply overlap territory with with the Lakers and Clippers.

Now, as for whether San Diego would actually get the broadcasts of the Anaheim NBA team -- that's another matter entirely. (Theoretically, they could end up with all their games on a local L.A. over-the-air station.)

16. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    True.