Directv T-16 Launch TODAY!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DirectMan, Jun 20, 2019.

1. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    Launch video
    arianespace (click here on YouTube)
    Scheduled for Wednesday 6/20/19 at 2:43pm PT
    TODAY!

2. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    :thumbsup:Successful launch so far.:thumbsup:

3. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
  4. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
  5. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Are we going to see a tangible benefit from this new satellite?

longhorn23 likes this.
  6. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yes discussed in many threads

7. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    The first thread I can find that mentions was by Slice on May 29 where he states. There does not seem to be any information about DirecTV-17 other than it has been ordered from Airbus. We'll have to wait for an official announcement. So I dont know exactly what "many threads" you are referring to but if I missed them I apologize for my question. I did go back a ways and found no references as to what benefits we would see from 16. Maybe someone else could perhaps answer.

longhorn23 likes this.
  8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The main benefit of T16 is that it will allow Directv to decommission D4S and retire D8/D9S (D8 has fuel life until 2034 so it will probably stick around as a spare, not sure about D9S)

Once it is fully operational D15 will be able to return to 103, and it will be able to light up 8 new Ka transponders (103ca tpns 1-8) that's the only new bandwidth this launch will provide.

T16 has dedicated beams to Hawaii and Puerto Rico so customers in Hawaii will be able to use a standard Slimline rather than the big ugly Alaska/Hawaii dish, and Puerto Rico customers will be able to install a standard SL3 LNB instead of the old SL5 (that's probably already started a few months ago since D15 moved temporarily to 101 and the 110 slot has been retired for Puerto Rico)

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Not quite. It is designed so that it can work at any one of five orbital slots - it cannot cover more than one orbital slot at a time. The "several satellites" replaced would need to be in the same slot for one satellite to replace them (unless additional old satellites at other slots are decommissioned and leave their old orbital slot unserved).

As for it being the last satellite ever: “We currently have no future planned satellite launches.” That is not a guarantee that no satellite will ever be launched again by AT&T. It is a simple statement that there is nothing currently in progress.

10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    "Fake News"...That's not what was said. Read the article again. It states "In a statement to SpaceNews AT&T said T-16 is the last satellite "currently" planned". The key word in that sentence is currently (At present time). That doesn't mean AT&T will never launch another satellite.

11. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    While I get that their language leaves the door open for future launches I think the odds of future launches are near zero. The core satellites (D11 and newer) will all last over a decade, and even when they start failing all they will really lose are locals in some markets. They'd survive some loss of CONUS bandwidth no problem, especially if there are fewer channels by then or they're able to drop MPEG4 and go HEVC only. If they really had to they could probably make it work with just T15 & T16 alone at 99 and 103.

dreadlk likes this.
  12. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Yes I agree with Slice!
    If your running a company it’s all about messaging. If you want the share holders and public to believe your moving in a certain direction you state it. The fact that they are not even leaving the door slightly open in their statement speaks volumes. For those who are preaching that salvation is possible they are just stating hope with no facts to back it up. I would love to have faith but ATT is not offering anything to cling to.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The article also said this:

Either he forgot about T-16, or they are as incompetent as we all accuse them of being.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Any word how the sat is drifting out there ? What is ETA to target slot ?

15. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa

I don't know why people would assume that AT&T's CEO would concern himself with minor details like Directv's schedule for launching T16. To the extent he knew about T16 at all (the whole thing may have been handled/approved by the president under him who runs Directv) he would hear about it when it was ordered or when it was paid for. He's not getting updates on when it is going to launch, and since it was ordered and paid for years ago he'd have no reason to know it was still waiting to launch.

That's like expecting their CEO to be aware of which cities AT&T has 5G up and running in. CEOs are big picture guys, they delegate details like getting a satellite launched and making the 5G rollout plan.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Why each thread become a mumbling about CEO and other things far away from the topic, different aspects of human life ?

I vividly recall time when we're really watched new satellites, draw orbits, getting all info about its life and how its testing ...

Nobody care !?

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    How can you agree then contradict?
    slice is reading that the door is open ... dreadlk is claiming that the door is not even slightly open. There was no door slamming statement following the launch. "No future planned launches" is not the same as "we will never, ever, ever, EVER launch a satellite again." Not having a launch planned is NOT the same as having a plan not to launch again.

Of course, those who cling to the lie that DIRECTV satellite is shutting down will never, ever, ever, EVER leave the door open for a new satellite. Never is a long time.

A satellite launch is not a small detail that should be fogotten. Your argument would be more like saying that the CEO of AT&T Communications was unaware that AT&T was planning on rolling out 5G at all. (As if he stated something stupid like "We are not upgrading our network. We are not deploying 5G.")

Any division CEO worth $14.5 million per year would know the big picture headlines such as launching a satellite. Yes, Mr Donovan may not know the channel number for the Audience Network or when a GUI fix will be in national release. He may not even know that there is a problem with the DIRECTV GUI ... but he should have known that there was a satellite launch pending.

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I wouldn't necessarily assume the CEO knows everything about a company this large. But when a CEO of a publicly traded company this large is making a presentation to a group of analysts, I would assume his speech was vetted by others to ensure it was factual and didn't contain any misleading statements.

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    November 29, 2018:
    20181129-DTVLastSatellite.png
    [source (Page 23)]

To be fair, it was not part of the planned remarks and Donovan was driven by Stephenson's answer.
    It is one of those things that CEOs say while the people who know better cringe (doesn't he know?).

Unfortunately it led to confusion, including at least one article that claimed T-16 was cancelled.
    Fortunately T-16 continued and was launched.

20. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    A little bit of info here:
    Two commercial broadcast satellites launched on Ariane 5 rocket – Spaceflight Now

Couldn't find T-16 tracking on this website (maybe too early):
    N2YO.com - real time satellite tracking