1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Taxes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jeffreydavisjr, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 6, 2007 #1 of 30
    jeffreydavisjr

jeffreydavisjr Legend

Jul 12, 2007
    My bill runs between $60.00 to $80.00 per month on average, depending on if I order any PPV's and/or WWE PPV Events...

Thats not to bad, but when you start figuring in taxes on this stuff....

I thought your business had to be in the state of residency in order to tax someone. For example, I get SuddenLink High Speed Internet in North Carolina, there head quarters is in California just like DirecTV, and they dont charge me taxes...

So whats up with that?

Is there some kind of FCC law that says they have the right to tax for TV... I get taxed for everything, I even get taxed for the shipping and handleing fee's when I order new receivers, etc.

Not that it is a big deal, But I estimate approximatly $100 per year of my money goes to DirecTV taxes.

Anyone have any insight?

2. Sep 6, 2007 #2 of 30
    dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    I don't have any taxes added to my D* bill. I assumed the tax was included in the cost of the package, DVR fee, etc.

3. Sep 6, 2007 #3 of 30
    pete4192

pete4192 Godfather

May 22, 2007
    It's some new tax that was just added. The state of KY is now charging it at 2.5% for satellite. D* has sent out literature urging customers to fight it.

4. Sep 6, 2007 #4 of 30
    Teacherman

Teacherman Mentor

Oct 20, 2006
    Here in the USAs own third world country we pay about 12 percent on Sat services.:mad:

5. Sep 6, 2007 #5 of 30
    jeffreydavisjr

jeffreydavisjr Legend

Jul 12, 2007
    So I should call my congress man, not DirecTV.

6. Sep 6, 2007 #6 of 30
    mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    Tennessee just started charging an 8.25% "satellite privelege" tax in Aug-07. Of course, the same tax for cable users has a ceiling of $2.27 where the satellite tax is the full amount.
    :mad:

7. Sep 6, 2007 #7 of 30
    markymouse

markymouse AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    I have the feeling I'm in the same area as you Mcbeevee and as you well know, TN taxes EVERYTHING. This is the "privelege" we have for not having a state tax. Rep. Cohen is the one to call according to the D* info channel on these taxes.

8. Sep 6, 2007 #8 of 30
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    They are STATE taxes...

Every state is different.

9. Sep 6, 2007 #9 of 30
    schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    I know I saw a channel (not sure which one) urging people to call their representatives in around 8 states in regards to these taxes. Browse around and you can probably find it.

10. markymouse

markymouse AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    It's channel 352.

11. jhillestad

jhillestad Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    The state you live in adds these taxes because they claim to lose your tax dollars you when leave cable. Once again proving that all the state wants is to find ways to steal your money.... the dtv signal comes from space and uses no landlines or any utility poles yet they charge you tax as if it did. You get NOTHING for this tax that you pay. The cable tax was used because of poles and eaves-men etc... that dtv does not use at all ... but yet they ' need ' your money for their pork belly projects and fat pensions and benefits that they only receive - not you. In Florida its like 12 % ! for a signal from outer space.

12. markymouse

markymouse AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    RIGHT ON jhill!!

13. pete4192

pete4192 Godfather

May 22, 2007

Sorry to go Off-Topic, but I just had to reply. I'm not a fan of taxes, but most taxes are used for good services, such as road repairs, school development, etc. Don't bash the taxes without truly understanding how necessary they are.

14. markymouse

markymouse AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    Is that like the new tax in TN on tobacco, part of this money is used to help them quit smoking. But, don't they need smokers for the taxes??

Just a thought.......

15. d max82

d max82 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Florida is 13.17% to be exact.......

Its ridiculous, I pay over $20 a month in taxes. Does anyone know if you "move" your service address to a different state, which state's taxes do you pay, billing address state's or service address state's?

16. kbxm

kbxm AllStar

Mar 15, 2007
    RANT

Yeah, like up here in Minneapolis where the gas taxes specifically to fix the roads and bridges got diverted to the general fund, or so our local schools can complain about a lack of supplies, but still build a new multi-million dollar flying stage for the drama club.

If taxes are reasonable and go for what they're meant for they can be a good thing, but I can't see a any reason for a satellite tax. What would those taxes be used for?

There's no public infrastructure being used and it's limited to my domicile.

Just another excuse to raise taxes again.

/Rant

17. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Don't know about you, but it makes me feel really special. ;)

18. FmrFrtDog

FmrFrtDog Mentor

Nov 24, 2006
    My service address is KY, so I am charged KY's tax, even though my billing address is FL.

19. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Just wait till they figure out how to do the OTA tax.
    Charging tax on sat signal is just crazy. What a bunch of greedy ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.