1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv tech support..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bjlc, Nov 20, 2011.

1. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    I had to have Directv service my house this week.. I have a dvd recorder with a built in tuner.. in fact I have two of them.. the guy who had installed my system put two separate coax wires to my rooms.. one direct from my dish and one from my crappy antenna..

so when my dvd player went out this week and I wanted to service it ,my directv went out in my living room.. so out comes the service guy.. in the mean time I had to re hook up the dvd player to the coax from the antenna..

so he comes in.. and I unhook,, and the directv goes out in the living room.. just like it did the other day.. and HE GOES.. HEY.. your Signal just went out..

duh.. that's what I called about.. so he say..geees.. I don't know how to fix that..

so I have an old digital converter box.. and I say.. I guess that I can hook this up instead of the dvd with the built in tuner.. NAH.. he says.. that won't fi.....xx.x........

HEY your signal is back.. what did you do..? I tell him that I hooked up the digital box.. No ..that cant be it.. but after I unhooked it again.. guess who was right..

Gees.. I can't fix that.. it would take a long time..

so.. I say leave it..

but then I called Directv for some help tonight ... and the tech support girl. One.. didn't know what I was asking about.. and TWO.. didn't even OWN A TV.. much less DIRECTV.. and after I asked for a supervisor.. she put me on hold for 15 minutes.. and then transferred me to South Carolina, instead of talking to a supervisor in New Mexico.. and then the transfer wasn't even to tech support..

UGGGGHHHHHHH..

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Huh? How does the crappy antenna coax cables feeding your two HD DVR off-air tuners relate to your DVD Player signals? Your DVD Player should not be connected to your off-air antenna. Can you provide a diagram? I'm confused.

3. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    What kind of old digital converter box are you trying to hook up to the Sat feed too?

Like litzdog911 mentions, can you provide the model of exch thing hooked to the Dish? Switches if any, receivers, BBC's, or any other things. We may be able to help.

4. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    The OP said it was a DVD recorder with a built in tuner, which I assume he uses to view and record off air programming. That's probably why it's hooked up to the antenna.

He doesn't mention what kind of D* receivers he has. He also doesn't mention if he has tried switching the tv from air to SAT. The DVD recorder is probably linked to the D* boxes for recording purposes.

Yep, a diagram would be useful if he wants help. Most likely a very old setup that no one knows about anymore. That's why no one can figure it out.

Example: Uverse connected my neighbors DVD player to his VHS recorder and the VHS to his tv. Why, I don't know. He couldn't get a signal from his DVD player to the tv, but he could view VHS. I got his DVD player to work by turning on his VHS player, when viewing DVD's, and setting it to inline (channel below two). That's how one can view or record to the VHS from an analog camcorder and watch on the TV. It also worked with the DVD player.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Litz, don't feel like the Lone Ranger.
    Scott, without some idea of how these two are interconnected [IE a layout diagram] it's impossible to suggest ANYTHING.
    The original post is missing key information.
    The tech, and all the CSRs "couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again", with only this much information. :nono:

6. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Something here was hooked up incorrectly to begin with from the sound of it. There's no reason that a completely separate (or it should be) antenna coax system should in any way affect satellite signals to a Directv IRD.

7. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    My guess is somewhere in there is the power for the LNB goes missing when you unhook the other device. Maybe you have an antenna with some kind of preamp or it has a built in rotor that needs power. While i wouldnt expect an off the shelf dvd player to output the power maybe there is some kind of power inserter somewhere. You just need a tech in there thats willing to go to work, sounds like the first tech was overbooked and wanted to get to his next call.

8. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I'd like to know the model of the DVD recorder that has an ATSC tuner?
    Or is he using a converter box to feed the recorder?
    Yuck on the quality there!!!

But, back on topic. We need to know exactly how this is set up!!!

9. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    2.5 days later and nothing back from the OP.
    Wonder if they figured out their problem?

10. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    My Magnavox DVD/HDD Recorder has a built-in ATSC digital TV tuner.

11. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    okay.. lets put some things in order.. in the original post. is about two completely different situations..

and I apologise if that isn't clear.. when I read it in my mind( and not I don't need a comment about what's going on in my mind. I have a wife and kids that take care of that).. it made sense.

I have a JVC VCR / DVD recorder.. with a built in tuner.. it is model 150 I believe.. and actually I have two of them.. I had this one set up so that I could record from Directv.. but that meant I needed to have that unit on at all times that the tv was on.. and that unit, the dvd player started to not allow sound after being on for about 5 to 6 hours.. not a complete night of sleep.. and when I disconnected it .. I lost signal on my directv in the living room where the other unit is .. however.. that one only needed to be on, if I wanted to watch a dvd .. or use the tuner.. but I could not record on that unit from D* because it wasn't hooked up that way..

the only thing that I have different on the living room unit is that I have my receiver hooked up to that unit as well and have surround sound on it.. both from the directv box and from the dvd player..

I did notice a couple of weeks ago.. that when I moved that antenna cable from the dvd player.. that I lost signal immediately to the directv box.. and I was suprised by that.. to the point of making sure that coax was still connected to the dvd player..

in my bed room I have a couple of things.. one is some box on the coax going into the d* receiver. it about double the size of a match box.. and the coax runs in and out of it.. directly to the D* receiver..

and two my bedroom tv is just old enough to be 27 inches.. no stereo.. and only one input.. COAX only.. so when I got my "new "directv receivers.. about a year and a half a go.. " they had to put some multi switch deal on there to get from the directv box to the tv because there is no coax out on my h 21..

lastly. I called directv the second the about programming my remote.. the girl that I talked to .. J in New Mexico.. was tech support.. didn't know how to program the remote.. didn't know if the remote could find a signal for an item.. didn't know what item I was talking about.. and three.. DID NOT use DIRECTV.. in fact did not OWN A TV.. and all she was doing was reading some on line deal.. and had no earthly way of understanding my situation.. because her plane of reference meaning NOT OWNING OR USING DIRECTV OR EVEN A TV left her lacking..

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm starting to see some of the confusion here and it mostly has to do with the connection of the JVC VCR / DVD recorder and that a TV only has a coax input.
    I don't think the JVC has a tuner that connects to the coax from the dish, so it doesn't tune to the SAT signal, "but" your receiver may have an added RF modulator connected to the back of it, so your TV gets a signal on channel 3 or 4, which may be how the JVC also gets the signal.
    Lots of interconnected devices here, making it hard to troubleshoot through the internet/or over the phone.

13. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    A diagram of the cables and connections to the SAT dish and crappy antenna as the OP called it would probably do wonders for troubleshooting.

14. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    The coax inputs/outputs on RF Modulators often get goofed up with the sat input when customers start unplugging and plugging back in coax in such elaborate combination setups.

15. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    I have two direct lines of coax one from the slimline dish.. and one from the crappy around the dish antenna and that has a splitter on it.. so I could have the use of the antenna in more then one room.. there is no power to the antenna that I can think of .. except through the coax.. if that's a help..

I still cannot believe that D* employes a "tech" that doesn't own a tv.. much less not know what they are servicing..

16. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    JUst tell us about the connections in the room where you lose signal. From the wall to the TV, what connects to what, in what order, and to what inputs on each uni,t and are there any filters or modulators? Lets see if we can make some sense of it.

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not unusual at all. D* "tech support" is an oxymoron much like "military intelligence". Calling them is an act of futility, normally. Coming here is the sensible thing to do.

Rich

18. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    Like I said in my previous post, it might not be D*'s fault entirely. We don't know what kind of receivers or tv's the OP has.

Technology changes and the people at D*, probably don't know how to deal with older setups. They usually deal with their own equipment such as DVR's, and not VHS and DVD players linked together. Now that they can receive locals over satellite, and new TV's have ATSC tuners, as well as more than one input that can support VHS and DVD players, they most likely don't link equipment together anymore.

19. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Two words: Customer Equipment

If you don't know how to hook it up, don't. Generally, if it doesn't say Directv on it, they don't know much about it. If it's not their gear, they didn't set it up, don't expect them to fix it.

I've said to too many people over the years, "Your broken DVD player is NOT my responsibility!".

20. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    the tech didn't know how to program a DIRECTV REMOTE.. the second call was about the directv remote.. if you don't own or know the equipment that you are tech'ing..something is wrong..