DirecTV testing Movies Anywhere integration *From Reddit*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by techguy88, Feb 23, 2020.

1. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    So as I was catching up on my neglected Reddit newsfeed I came across an interesting thread from r/MoviesAnywhere about AT&T/DirecTV currently testing Movies Anywhere integration. (Reddit thread here)

Apparently the Twitter account that shared this info is "Zu Nim" and according to some of the posters on the Reddit thread says the Twitter user is reliable and on the technical side of things while another says the Twitter account is reliable when it comes to Movies Anywhere.

As far as I'm aware U-Verse TV just has the option to "Rent" but not "Purchase", AT&T TV/TV Now doesn't have its own PPV or ways to buy/rent movies from AT&T. Only DirecTV via DirecTV Cinema has both the "Rent" and the "Purchase" options.

If DirecTV does add Movies Anywhere support this means any titles "purchased" through DirecTV from Sony Pictures, Universal Pictures, Warner Bros., and Walt Disney Studios (and all their subsidaries) will be stored in the Movies Anywhere digital locker and added to any other linked retailers (like Apple iTunes, Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, Fandango Now, YouTube/Google Play Movies & TV) at no additional cost.

This would be beneficial to anyone who purchases movies from these studios via DirecTV and then cancels their DirecTV service at a later date as they would be able to keep those films. Currently anything "purchased" from DirecTV Cinema is only valid as long as you remain a DirecTV subscriber. Cancelling your DirecTV service will void the license as per the Terms and Conditions.

I think it is a good move for AT&T to add DirecTV as a participating retailer considering AT&T's Warner Bros. is a participating studio. o_O

So take this with a grain of salt for now but interesting development.

Dishdude714, syphix, compnurd and 2 others like this.
  2. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    what happens to anything "purchased" from DirecTV Cinema. Then they loses the rights? Change your DVR? It rolls off the PPV channels?

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Also means you should be able to see any movies you already have via DIRECTV. Would be interesting...

Dishdude714 likes this.
  4. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Here are some articles from Movies Anywhere that should answer some questions
    Nothing would change in regards to "purchases" made from DirecTV Cinema your license for that content would still be attached to your DirecTV account.

Movies Anywhere integration simply means any Movies Anywhere eligible title would be synced with your Movies Anywhere account so you can watch them through Movies Anywhere or any other connected Digital Retailer like Vudu and vice versa.

DirecTV Cinema won't "lose" the rights to anything you purchased from DirecTV by connecting to Movies Anywhere. Think of Movies Anywhere like a "locker" a one stop shop with all your "purchases" from supported retailers.

Example: If you "purchased" Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets from DirecTV Cinema and Star Wars IV: A New Hope from iTunes and connected both your DirecTV and iTunes account to your Movies Anywhere account this would allow you to watch both Harry Potter and Star Wars on both DirecTV Cinema and iTunes without having to "purchase" the same movie through multiple digital retailers.

Currently if you "purchase" anything from DirecTV Cinema you have the rights to watch that content as many times as you want as long as you maintain an active DirecTV account with Genie (H44+HDD/HR44+/C31+) and the program is available from DirecTV Cinema (channel 1100). If you disconnect your DirecTV account you lose all your DirecTV Cinema purchases even if you reactivate at a later date.

The only change that would happen as a result of Movies Anywhere integration is any Movies Anywhere eligible purchases made through your DirecTV account would be available to you even if your no longer a DirecTV subscriber. (Which is a good thing.)

If your main Genie DVR is either replaced or upgraded (to HS17 for example) you can watch your purchases from channel 1100 on demand. If your Genie DVR is replaced/upgraded while the purchased movie is showing on one of the linear DirecTV Cinema channels you will still be able to watch that movie while it is scheduled since the licenses for your purchases are tied to your DirecTV account not the receiver.

The only time you lose anything by upgrading or replacing the Genie DVR is if you recorded an airing of the purchased movie from a linear DirecTV Cinema channel or if DirecTV happens to lose the rights to the film in general (which I haven't seen happen yet.)

Here is a screenshot of how your licenses/purchases show up in Movies Anywhere:
    MA-2.png

A movie never stays on the linear DirecTV Cinema channels forever. If you purchase a film like Joker while it is airing on the linear DirecTV Cinema channels you can watch any linear DirecTV Cinema channel that film airs on regardless of format. If it is a newer movie airing on multiple channels you have access to all those channels while it is scheduled to air.

Naturally as a movie gets older it will stop airing on the linear DirecTV Cinema channels but you recorded an airing of the purchased movie from a linear DirecTV Cinema channel to your Genie DVR it will stay until you delete it (based on your settings.)

If you want to watch purchased content after it stops airing on a linear DirecTV Cinema channel and it isn't on your Genie DVR just go into your Purchases folder on your playlist and select the movie and you will be watching the DirecTV Cinema On Demand version.

Yes! I would so love this to happen.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    So would I.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  6. Richjr42

Richjr42 New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    I’d rather Directv partnered with VUDU instead. I have 202 movies and a tv show with Vudu and only 158 movies with Movies Anywhere because they don’t have the backing of all the major distributors yet.

7. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    True, but the movies in your Movies Anywhere account can be linked to your Vudu account.

Dishdude714 and longhorn23 like this.
  8. Richjr42

Richjr42 New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    They are linked.

9. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Movies Anywhere update!!!!

If you go to directv.com/movies any eligible movie available to "Buy" from Walt Disney Studios, Sony Pictures, Universal Studios and Warner Bros. Studios now say "Movies Anywhere". Also the Genies have updated and any eligible title has the MA logo

Here is an image shared by the Twitter account Zu Nim from May 14th showing the MA logo:

EX88dooXYAEQrfQ.png

Here is an image from my HR44 on a movie I actually purchased showing the MA logo and a tip

MADTV.png

I'm guessing as soon as AT&T and Movies Anywhere make an official announcement we can link our D* accounts to our Movies Anywhere accounts. Currently the link directv.com/moviesanywhere is inactive and Movies Anywhere doesn't show DirecTV as a retailer yet.

10. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    longhorn23 likes this.
  11. BreadDawg

BreadDawg Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Deep South
    Dumb question...is it possible to watch previous Movies Anywhere titles that weren’t purchased through Directv, on the Genie?

12. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Not a dumb question and yes, you can. As techguy88 told me using your DIRECTV remote select List - Purchases - Purchase Collection. There you'll find the movies that are listed in My Movies in your Movies Anywhere account.

13. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Even though the Help Page states Genie is required @KyL416 over at Edge Cutters verified that you can still link your Movies Anywhere & DirecTV accounts together even if you don't have Genie if you want to have your Movies Anywhere library available through the DirecTV App and Website.

Also a neat feature I found out with Movies Anywhere and the linear DirecTV Cinema channels for new releases (If you have a Genie HR44 or higher.)

If you bought the physical release with a digital copy code or a digital version of a Movies Anywhere title from another retailer and that movie is showing on a linear DirecTV Cinema channel (126-183) you can watch that movie on the linear channels after playing the corresponding MA title once.
    • For example I purchased Blumhouse's Fantasy Island: Unrated Edition from iTunes a while back that is currently showing on the linear DirecTV Cinema channels and DirecTV Cinema On Demand.
    • After linking my Movies Anywhere account and my DirecTV account together yesterday Fantasy Island showed in my Purchase Collection folder but Channel 150 (the channel Fantasy Island was showing on yesterday was locked asking me to rent.)
    • I went into my Purchase Collection folder and pressed "Play" let the movie buffer and let it play for 2 minutes then exited the movie and deleted the On Demand version from my Playlist before it could download further.
    • I went to Channel 150 and it was unlocked! So I just recorded the next showing from Channel 150 (this way I could share the movie with my HR24)
    • Today Fantasy Island is not showing on Channel 150 but is now showing on Channel 153. I can now watch that movie all day on Channel 153.
    I had purchased Scoob! from Vudu and I had the physical version of Birds of Prey and did the same thing with both Birds of Prey and Scoob! yesterday to ensure this wasn't a fluke. After playing a minute of Birds of Prey I was able to watch Channel 183 until Birds of Prey stopped showing on the linear channels. Today I can watch Scoob! on Channels 151 and 173.

longhorn23 and MysteryMan like this.
  14. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Not a dumb question at all like @MysteryMan said and he is correct! I can now watch all the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts movies on DirecTV without commercials thanks to Movies Anywhere.

Also I currently have HR44 & C41W client but since I plan on getting a 4K TV next year I've been buying movies in the 4K format and when I buy physical media I've been getting 4K Ultra HD + Blu-Ray + Digital Copy combos to future proof myself and stock up on 4K content early. With all the other retailers including the MA app they can tell when your not watching on a 4K TV and play the 1080p SDH version instead.

When implementing Movies Anywhere compatibility DirecTV even implemented this feature as I have a bunch of 4K movies now in my Purchase Collection folder showing from channel "1104 4K" that I normally don't have access to with my current hardware. When I click on a 4K Movies Anywhere title I get a message (similar to the blackout/game search message) asking me if I want to search for a compatible version. When I click "Search" it will pull up listings where I can watch the movie. I can click on the "HD 1080p" version from the regular Channel 1100 CINEMA to play and it works.

Before Movies Anywhere I was dead set against upgrading my D* hardware to 4K but now... once I get a 4K TV this may sway me into upgrading D* to 4K as I'm building up a nice library to take advantage of it. :eek:

DTVMAGuru and MysteryMan like this.
  15. sdchrgrboy1

sdchrgrboy1 New Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I had a question regarding the list of movies on the HR44. I linked the accounts and can see all my movies on the app. However, on tv, Wpurchase collection, it says 742 total, but I can only see my movies up to the letter "b". Thats the last place it goes when I hit page down. Is there way to access the entire library on tv? is there a setting somewhere I am missing?
    Any assistance is appreciated

16. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Holy cow! That's a big library! I can see my whole library across both services except for Spider-Man 2 just because that is the only movie not on DirecTV Cinema right now. (The FAQ did point out that if a title isn't available on D* Cinema it wouldn't show) I admit I have 65 Movies in the Movies Anywhere App tho. Just curious how many movies is up to the letter "b"? I wonder if there is a hard limit? I would try reaching out to both Movies Anywhere & DirecTV technical support to see what the issue is.

17. DTVMAGuru

DTVMAGuru New Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Hi sdchrgrboy1, make sure you have the 0x13af software version on your Genie server (big box). You can see the version by Menu > Settings > Info & Test. That version completed download Nationally on 6/30. If you have that version already then try unlinking and relinking your DIRECTV account with Movies Anywhere. Let me know it goes!

18. Richjr42

Richjr42 New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Silly Question=I see the $ on the movies I linked from the Movies Anywhere website. Does that mean still have to pay for those even though I didn’t order them directly through Directv? I have 237 titles.

DTVMAGuru likes this.
  19. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    No, you don't have to pay for the movies that were linked through your Movies Anywhere account. AT&T/DIRECTV lists them as Pay Per Views that are already purchased. Using your DIRECTV remote press List - Purchases - Purchase Collection. Press Info on one of your movies then press the right arrow and scroll down to the bottom. There you will see the time and date that movie was purchased and added to your linked account. Example: I linked my Movies Anywhere account with DIRECTV on 25 June 20 at 17:42 hrs. All the movies in my linked collection have that date and time posted. Keep in mind some of the movies in your Movies Anywhere account may not be listed in your linked DIRECTV account because they are not currently available for viewing with DIRECTV.

DTVMAGuru likes this.
  20. Richjr42

Richjr42 New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Cool,thanks.