1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV to add 16 new HD local markets

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by RAD, Apr 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    From http://investor.directv.com/releaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=567980

2. Baldmaga

Baldmaga Godfather

Sep 1, 2007
    And Lafayette,La will now be the final market in the state without HD. Just my luck ;(

3. sportsfan24

sportsfan24 New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Don't feel bad where I live I don't have locals in hd, but every little now around me does.

4. scotte992

scotte992 Legend

Feb 8, 2007
    NY
    Finally!

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Three out of the four Oregon markets don't have DIRECTV HD LIL and aren't in this list. Eugene ranks at #118 while Lafayette, LA is #123.

They're sure not showing the SD markets much kindness.

6. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    I virtually never do this , but I will double post now.
    The above info came to me first here:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=180503&page=13

I have a long standing disappointment with the 6 year Directv HD LIL rollout that looks as if it might go another year or more.:(

Thus my response when presented with the "Announcement"

Doctor j

7. hockey_puck

hockey_puck Cool Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Geez, what about Fargo!!! Bigger market than most of those announced.

8. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    Looks like another year of rabbit ears. At least I live in an area where OTA is viable. If I lived in the hills, I would be SOL.

I agree. They say 99% of the country will have HD locals. How is that possible when, except for Portland, the ENTIRE state of Oregon has no HD locals? How about the large swaths of the California coast north of Santa Barbara? How hard is it to do the HD Locals, when they are obviously receiving HD locals from the local carriers and converting them to SD to send to us?

9. markman07

markman07 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    Minnesota
    And Rochester MN off the list again! Booo.

10. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    They did not say 99% of the country. They said 99% of U.S TV Homes.

The COMPLETE and TOTAL population of Oregon, including the greater Portland area, is about 1.1 % of the total. (3.5 million in Oregon, 308 million in the U.S).

Portland itself has only about 500k people, but the "Portland Metropolitan Area" has about 2 million (not counting the Vancouver, Washington area which also uses the Portland locals), which would basically be all the people using the Portland locals. I am willing to bet however, that outside the PMA, there are areas that lean on the Portland locals.

At worst, there are 1.5 million viewers in Oregon that do not have HD locals, which would be around 0.4% of the U.S. population.

I'd say that 99% figure is entirely possible.

I don't claim to know a lot about satellites, the technique behind it, how the transmission of signals from local stations to the DirecTV upload site are handled, and what kind of financial agreements there are.... but I would suspect it is not as easy as you might think.

It was only 4 months ago that a Washington local affiliate wanted 6 times as much money then their previous agreement, which DirecTV refused to pay. They eventually settled on something, but no one know what of course.

There is a bit more involved. Satellites also need to have available bandwidth, and be capable to "spot" a beam tot that area.

11. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    I hate living in the 1%. You'd think that DMA 115 would be added by now.

12. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    And people said D* wasn't adding any HD! :lol:

13. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    I am happy for those who are finally getting HD locals, but I also feel for those who don't.

14. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Dish has had Montrose-Grand Junction, CO for several years, yet still no SD or HD on DirecTV.:confused:

15. johnner1999

johnner1999 Legend

Aug 30, 2003
    It shows how far behind dish and even cable co. :-(

16. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Im just glad to hear they are adding more. In the past I would become upset by people begging for their markets to be completed in these threads. I wont be doing that. I dont have a complete market of locals through D* but I also wont be complaining about it either. I am happy there are now more markets that will have the joy of having at least some locals in their markets this year. Congrats!!

17. je4755

je4755 Godfather

Dec 11, 2006
    As with basic HD nationwide, it would be interesting to learn the factors entering DirecTV’s decision calculus regarding availability of HD LIL. DMA ranking clearly is not the principal determinant, as several of the newly-specified locations comprehend populations far smaller than Monterey-Salinas (#124) where I reside. Nor can DirecTV’s judgments flow from relative attractiveness of the customer base, as our DMA encompasses multiple affluent communities, instanced by Pebble Beach and Carmel by the Sea. I only can surmise “tango-related” difficulties continue to render HD LIL inaccessible in my area and similarly-situated DMAs. Fortunately, I can enjoy all HD locals, including PBS, via Comcast (but obviously wish I didn’t have to pay two providers).

18. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    Is it possible that the present spot beams for some of these requested unserved DMA's are already fully allocated?

19. BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi Godfather

Jan 1, 2004
    I agree.. Oh well i still have OTA but sure would have been nice to finally get HD locals on D*!

20. antzona

antzona AllStar

Sep 23, 2007
    California
    So still no Bakersfield. Around a half a million people, and no locals in HD. Dish has had them for around three years. Brighthouse has had them even longer and I can get them on U-Verse too. The only provider who doesn't offer my locals in HD is Directv. I hate the software on the Dish boxes and Brighthouse is dreadful. I can't get U-Verse in my neighborhood yet, or I would have already changed. I hate Directv with all my heart, except for the user interface on their boxes. I can't believe I haven't changed yet. Michael White made $33,000,000 last year and Directv sucks. Bakersfield was on the list to get locals in HD in early 2009 and then we magically disappeared from the list. It was probably a dispute over money. Well, I guess I have to change now, even if I can't stand the boxes from the other providers.