1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV to offer Broadband and VoIP services

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cforrest, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cforrest

cforrest Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    DirecTV to Offer High-Speed Internet From Current Group on Power Grid

WSJ Subscribers: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118714676340798244.html

Excerpts:

"Under the agreement, DirecTV will market a bundled package of Current's broadband and voice over Internet protocol, or Voip, services under the DirecTV brand."

"The new DirecTV broadband and Voip services will be available to residents in Dallas-Fort Worth area at the end of 2007 or beginning of 2008. DirecTV hasn't determined the pricing yet but says that the package of TV, Internet and phone services will be competitive, compared with those offered by phone companies."

2. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    So...this is the company developing BPL with D* investment $. I'd still bet Wimax (Clear) over BPL..but if you don't have fiber -

Interesting partners..
    CURRENT Communications Group, LLC was founded by Liberty Associated Partners, L.P., an investment partnership managed by principals with extensive investment and operating experience in telecommunications, media, Internet and related technologies. Through Associated Group, LLC, these principals, along with Liberty Media Corporation (NYSE: L), are the primary investors in Liberty Associated Partners. CURRENT is also backed by Duke Energy (NYSE: DUK), EarthLink, Inc. (NASDAQ: ELNK), EnerTech Capital, General Electric Co. (NYSE:GE), Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG), Goldman Sachs & Co., The Hearst Corporation, Sensus Metering Systems (Bermuda 1) Ltd., and TXU Corp. (NYSE: TXU).

3. iceburg02

iceburg02 AllStar

Sep 20, 2006
    CURRENT only offers service in Cincinnati right now with Dallas coming online soon. Doesn't really help a whole lot of D* customers right away...they better have a very aggressive rollout plan if they want this to succeed.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's not the first time they've been into internet, anyone remember DIRECWAY (now called HughesNet)

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Don't forget they bought a DSL company called Telocity and offered DirecTV DSL. It was a great service, too bad they pulled the plug on it.

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Before Direcway it was DirecPC, which I used until DSL became available. Worked well for what it was in its day. It is going to be a tough way to go to put together a "bundled" program.

7. txtommy

txtommy Icon

Dec 30, 2006
    Still works well for those of us who have no other option except dial-up. The speed is ok but downside is the FAP (fair access policy) which only allows a certain amount of download per day. Not good for streaming video or music so I have to keep an eye on the kids.

8. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I really hope this works out and it does not take to long to make it to all markets. I will switch from Comcast internet the day it is in my market.

9. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    BPL has its problems and may not be viable in the long run (several "experimental" systems have pulled the plug, pardon the pun).

I switched from DSL to Clearwire a few weeks ago and am impressed. I wonder what sort of bundling discount there may be once Directv is on board with them?

10. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I have changed the title of the thread, to make it more noticeable.

11. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I do have one question and it probably is a stupid question. But since it will be internet of powerline how much power is it going to use? Is the electric bill going to go through the roof every month?

12. k5cc

k5cc Cool Member

Nov 23, 2002
    This should stir up the amateur radio community in the DFW area. The American
    Radio and Relay League has lawsuits going about interference to amateur
    radio from internet over power lines. Jack K5CC

13. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It's a high frequency signal superimposed on the power line (similar to DSL on a phone line). There will be a modem-like device to strip this off to ethernet. There isn't much current involved. I suspect they have to bypass transformers somehow.

14. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I wonder if this would allow those that don't use the net or broadband at home to get the "on demand" service.... Just curious.

15. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    How would the fair use affect VOD? Kind of a conflict of interest limiting the amount you can download each day and push VOD. Also, what type of download speed are we talking?

16. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I believe they were refering to DirecWay... After so many downloads, in a given time frame it slows your connection down, Voip or Fios wouldn't.

17. iceburg02

iceburg02 AllStar

Sep 20, 2006
    They currently have a 3mbps plan for $39/mo. I didn't see the upload speed listed.

18. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    Actually Current's BPL roll-out in Cincinnati is extremely limited. (just a few neighborhoods). It is unclear if this roll-out is continuing as the power company in Cincinnati is now owned by Duke Energy. Duke has been silent about BPL since the acquisition.

19. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006

BPL is symmetric so if you have 3 MBs down you get 3 MBs up, also

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.