DIRECTV To Present at Goldman Sachs' Communacopia XIX Conference

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by RAD, Sep 15, 2010.

1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    From http://dtv.client.shareholder.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=507879

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Now that's good to know.

3. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    I'll be on the way to the airport to go home to visit my parents at that time. Guess I'll have to catch it later.

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    - Mentioned HD DVR take for new customers at 50%.
    - Very happy with MRV take rate.
    - For pricing next year will look at package and STB pricing changes.
    - Relaunch of DirecTV Cinema with HD DVR's, 25 movies to 400, connect HD DVR to internet and goes to 10,000 movies. New interface coming to make it easier to navigate.
    - DirecTV gets $2/sub from ad revenve vs. $5/sub for cable, with local ad insertion coming that would increase.
    - Expects PPV revenue to increase due to just because more movies will be available with new DirecTV Cinema service.
    - Thinks there in good shape concerning retransmission agreements since they've been paying retrans for some affiliates already.
    - Really wants to drive more and more customers to HD DVR's that are internet connected, would like to see 50% of customers that way within the next 3 to 5 years. While that would drive up SAC or retention costs feels that increased revenue from PPV take and local ad revenue would make that up.
    - HR24's still in short supply, very popular, free HD had a lot to do with that.
    - Looking to speed up channel change is a priority.
    - New UI will have links in Smart Search with links to YouTube if STB is network connected, coming this fall?
    - They benchmark SmartSearch against Google to see how fast they are.
    - No reason that they can't do what NetFlix does for internet delivery.

5. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the update RAD ..

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1

7. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    400 HD PPV channels! Yep, I knew it!

;) Someone was bound to say it. :lol:

8. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    New GUI?

Are we finally going to get a revamped GUI? Hopefully in HD?

That's that last piece of improvement I'm looking for in the HR series.

Now if they would do that and add BBCHD and E!HD, the wife and I would both be very happy campers.

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The new UI (I think) is referencing the changes that have been made in DIRECTV Cinema. It seems like it happened a long time ago, especially for the CE crowd, but this is something that is relatively new to everyone. I'm not surprised that they would talk about it.

10. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    CRAP!

If they raise DVR prices ala Dish Network, I may have to get rid of satellite services altogether... :mad:

Actually, they stated in one of the last conference calls that the new UI would be based off of the new look of DirecTV Cinema.

~Alan

11. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Excitement!! :D

12. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    I thought the earlier HRs could only do a widescreen SD GUI. I seem to remember reading that it is a limitation of the chipset...

13. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    In that big of a hurry to get rid of me?! ;) :D

~Alan

14. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    NoNo. LOL.
    Just excited that there's a definitive push at D* to bring out a new UI.

15. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    Either the information you read or your recollection of it is incorrect.

16. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    It might be technically possible, but there have to be lots of complications in offering a streaming-style service like Netflix:

- Netflix streaming is around $8/month, about the same price as 2-3 Cinema PPV's. If they're investing in new-improved Cinema why do something to undermine it?

- A cheap streaming service (let's say $8/month again) would eat into HBO/Showtime/Stars subscriptions at $12+/month.

- Will the movie studios agree to provide movies if it's going to hurt HBO/Show/Starz revenues?

Many subscribers to HBO and Showtime buy the services because of the original series and the companies admit that keeping the hits coming is a key to their survival. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of years.

17. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    That wasn't me making that statement but the CEO in the call.

18. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    mreposter, I agree with you with respect to Netlflix.

For D* to introduce a Netflix-like product at Netflix-like price point would be to cannibalize its current product offerings.

In fact, anecdotally, some D* subscribers who have added NetFlix have subsequently left D*. So why would D* accelerate that transition.

Since 1995, the average PayTv bill has gone up 122%. The average HH has increased its TV consumption by 13%.

D* is concerned about competition from Netflix. But unless it significantly decreases its prices, it will continue to leave subscribers on the table.