1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv to Spectrum

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by narrod, Aug 19, 2017.

1. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    Made the switch a week ago after 17 years with Directv. Rough transition. Good install and saving money but the family hates it. No whole home and cable boxes don't allow pause. Picture quality is also a step down. On Demand is better with Spectrum and we didn't lose signal during a recent storm. May not last if the family keeps bitching.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Spectrum: SPecial Excutive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Un-stabilizing Media. :rolleyes:

salyavin and 1953 like this.
  3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I like it !!!

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They are testing a new box coming soon that is supposed to support Whole Home Service and all that good stuff, finally. They fact they don’t have it out yet is unfathomable.

1953 likes this.
  5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Spectrum sounds just as bad as Time Warner. :D

(A company can change their name but changing their operations is harder.)

1953 likes this.
  6. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    As a Time Warner/Spectrum customer (internet service) I can tell you it's gotten worse since the take over. I pay my DIRECTV bill at our area AT&T store. Average time to perform this task is ten minutes or less. I pay my internet bill at our area Time Warner/Spectrum outlet. Average time to perform this task is thirty to forty five minutes. I can count the number of days I've had issues (rain/snow fade) with my DIRECTV service in a year's time on my hand and have most of my fingers left over. I lost count how many times my internet has gone down in the same amount of time. On the plus side my internet speeds average at Ping 14 ms, Download 118.30 Mb/s, Upload 12.00 Mb/s. For that I pay $69.10 a month. They did offer to upgrade my download speed to 300 Mb/s for $110.00 a month with a one time install fee of $200.00. Forum etiquette prevents me from posting the answer I gave them!

schmave1 and 1953 like this.
  7. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I've seen where many have been able to waive or receive a credit for that "upgrade fee".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

8. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I live in an area where we had charter one block and Time Warner Cable the next. Time Warner Cable had much better equipment, that’s how bad charters is. And yet from what I understand, they immediately killed off installing any Time Warner Cable equipment and only installed charter equipment after the merger. Totally bizarre.

9. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Just wait. My area just got bumped to 100 from 60. But you have to call in to get them to flip a switch in the tec department. However exact same price. Tech told me, pay attention, we will do this again and push the base for everyone up to 300 in the next year or so....

10. DukeBlue

DukeBlue New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Not only did they stop installing any Time Warner equipment they are swapping out old TW equipment with charter/spectrum stuff. My aunt lives in FL and had TW for TV and they called her and told her that all her dvr's had to be swapped out for "new" Spectrum equipment.

11. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    That sounds about right. Before Spectrum purchased Time Warner I was getting download speeds of 50 Mb/s and paying $69.10 a month. Shortly after Spectrum purchased Time Warner they started advertising internet speeds "starting" at 100 Mb/s. I called and asked them if that's true why am I still getting a download speed of 50 Mb/s? Tech said he could correct that at his end for the same monthly fee and he did. If I hadn't called and enquired I'd still be getting download speeds of 50 Mb/s.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  12. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Interesting. Spectrum hasn't done that in my area yet. They're still using the same Modems, Routers, Receivers and DVRs that Time Warner used.

13. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    If your cable box does not pause chances are it's not a HDDVR.

14. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    Of course. Family was used to the Genie Minis having full functionality. I had 3 dvrs and three cable boxes installed.

15. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Wow is cable that bad ?
    I have heard nightmares about optimum but didn't know spectrum was thay bad too .

Optimum charges $2 per stb to pause rewind live tv but only 75 HD hour limit DVR. How bad is spectrum DVR.

And I agree I have been through hurricanes with D* very few issue s. Cable on the other hand can go down randomly just because .

16. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Optimum is so bad they have no online self serve options so you can change your plan or order PPV online . They are so bad you can't even record a PPV event with their DVR.

With D* I always offer events only and it provisions on all STBs. I have been ordering online since 2010 I can't believe how behind the times these cable companies are.

17. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Our legacy Charter cable where we live only offered 89 Standard Definiton channels,no internet,no phone in our area (non-residential).
    Now because of the merger our Charter Spectrum cable in our area offers more HD channels than satellite,the cable box upconverts all the channels to 1080p/60.
    Charter Spectrum cable internet is 60Mbps/5Mbps.
    Charter Spectrum Voice Voip service will be available at a later date in our area.
    Charter Spectrum is testing a new guide for their older HDDVR cable boxes and they are testing their new 6 tuner World Box manufactured by Technicolor and Humax.
    Charter Spectrum has an Internet App so their subscribers can receive their cable programming on their IPad or Smartphones,ect.
    This ex-satellite subscriber is living the dream(rural living with cable services)

18. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    That's cool bro glad they improved the network in that Rual area.

Most cable companies are still say behind D*

And I still will never have tv service with a cable co. I would rather go OTT and DSL than use a cable co

19. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Looks like Charter Spectrum Cable in your area needs some upgrading. I have Time Warner/Spectrum Internet. Internet speeds in my area start at 100Mbps.

20. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Have you considered AT&T Uverse? We have Uverse Internet, Uverse Voice and DirecTV. All is good.