DIRECTV Transponder Map: New Data 3/30/2011

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Gary Toma, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 23, 2011 #1 of 108
    Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX

Mar 22, 2006
    The attachment to this post covers all U.S. DIRECTV Channels and Transponders, CONUS (Continental U.S. or National beams) and LIL (Local-Into -Local or Spot beams).

The single Excel file attachment provides all the CONUS and LIL data for DIRECTV Satellites at the 72.5W, 95W, 99W, 101W, 103W, 110W and 119W positions.
    Note that at the bottom of the Excel page, there are six tabs or 'sheets':
    • CONUS TPN MAP lists all CONUS channels in channel number sequence

• LIL TPN MAP lists all LIL channels in network number (market name) sequence

• LIL MARKET LIST provides the cross reference information necessary to understand the LIL TPN Map

• CHANNEL COUNT provides a count of channels provided per satellite

• NETWORK DECODER shows the satellites and transponders graphically as they appear on your receiver's signal strength display.

• TUTORIAL - offers a quick paragraph to help find your LIL channels for the very first time.

Additional details are available for:
    OTA (Over The Air) information and discussion is provided in this DBSTalk thread.
    DNS (Distant Network Service) information and discussion is provided in this DBSTalk thread.​
    LIL (DIRECTV Local-Into-Local) information and discussion is provided in this DBSTalk thread.​
    All documents are fully unprotected so you may copy and use the data as you wish.

1 person likes this.
  2. Mar 30, 2011 #2 of 108
    Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX

Mar 22, 2006
    Just added a new TPN Map Excel. This is still the 3/23/11 TPN raw data, but this is the second time the parsing and formatting programs have been upgraded since the original 3/23 TPN Map posting.

We are not adding information or increasing the verbosity on our own, we're simply getting a little more effective in finding and mining the information from the raw data.

For the first time, you have a sense of the use TPN's 21, 22, 23 and 24 on D12 which have until now appeared to be unused.

3. Mar 30, 2011 #3 of 108
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Would be interesting to see if that "PUSH" technology using IPTV and for what. Movies ? Ads ?

4. Mar 30, 2011 #4 of 108
    Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    This may be a HUGE discovery. Thanks for continuing to dig.

I've always wondered if there's a use of D12 that we're not aware of.

Also was expecting that the new on-demand service (referenced with 400 titles) could do some new "push" things with D12 but never was able to prove anything.

We might now be getting our first glimpse. Very interesting.

This would remove 20 slots from the available/open projection.

P., what PID did you find that "push" data in?

5. Mar 30, 2011 #5 of 108
    Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    So 20 less HD channels for Festivus? :mad:

6. Mar 30, 2011 #6 of 108
    Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    20 fewer, yes. ;)

7. Mar 30, 2011 #7 of 108
    georule

georule Hall Of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    What he said. :(

20 channels for pushing VoD so it's immediately available? Wow, that sounds like an awful lot when you consider the size of the DVR area dedicated to holding that (I don't remember the exact size, but it can't be too big).

Or is there some other methodology I'm missing here where "push" would be relevant? Surely they wouldn't dedicate satellite bandwidth to individual user VoD downloads?!

Right now just above 125 in the guide I see 12 PPV VoD movies listed that have been pushed to my DVR for immediate availability. I'd guess that they could use even just 1 satellite channel to do that, and would be surprised if they'd need more than 3 or 4 to be relatively timely in loading up new ones.

8. Mar 30, 2011 #8 of 108
    Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    So basically 13 more HD channels and D12 is full? WTF? :mad:

Maybe they'll take down linear PPV HD and give us regular channels instead?

9. Mar 30, 2011 #9 of 108
    Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    When there was all the talk of 400 titles being available, my original thought was that 4-5 D12 transponders could be used for a satellite based new on-demand HD service, but then we never found any proof, and I never thought about it much since then.

My thought was that if you wanted to have 400 titles somewhat immediately available, say within 24 hours or so, that you'd take 400 at 2 hours per recording, which is 800 hours of content. And if you spread that 800 hours out over 24 hours, you'd need 33 slots, and if you were able to push faster then real-time, maybe you reduce that to 20-25 slots, or 4-5 transponders. Or maybe it could be less then 400 titles, or longer or sooner then 24 hours, lots of permutations, you get the idea.

Was just a theory, with not alot of thought, and no proof ... until now, maybe.

Or maybe something else, but it sure seems like an awful coincidence since I've always been looking for 4-5 transponders for satellite on-demand, and then we find 4 transponders that say "push". And I also wasn't sure if the on-demand would be satellite or internet based, so when it didn't happen then I assumed internet based.

Lots of sniffing around and analysis to do now. :)

10. Mar 30, 2011 #10 of 108
    georule

georule Hall Of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    But Sixto, where would you store it on the client end? 800 hrs?!

We do know that there are only about 800k D* users with internet VoD, and it is a large priority to increase that, and even so they are looking at 2013 to only 40% availability (If I'm remembering the last analyst call correctly).

So you're thinking some kind of near-time scheme to serve VoD with the satellites to those customers who aren't internet connected (expected to still be 17M D* customers by the end of 2011 that would fall in that catagory)?

I've never tried to convert sat-bandwidth to internet bandwidth equivalents. I wonder how fine they could chop up a satellite channel to serve multiple DVRs concurrently (yet feeding different content to each) at reasonable internet-equivalent speeds?

11. Mar 30, 2011 #11 of 108
    Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    The thought was that you pick from a selection of 400 titles, and it would be downloaded to your DVR within 24 hours, just the recording you select.

I'm trying to research now why I thought this. I thought the CEO or CTO somewhere said that the new on-demand service would be satellite based, which is why I started thinking about it originally.

There was another comment that someone else made that also led me to this conclusion, but then again I was never able to find any real data to back up the theory, and I haven't played with Cinema in months.

Was the service launched? how does the title get to the DVR? Need to check these things. It should be fairly easy to figure out.

12. Mar 30, 2011 #12 of 108
    Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX

Mar 22, 2006
    Just updated our general-purpose-one-for-all Excel file. This is based on fresh 3/30/11 data from Doctor J. This is also using the updated parsing and formatting programs.

Doctor J's singular observation is that there is much more 'verbiage' change within the data from one week to the next using this latest software.

:)

13. Mar 30, 2011 #13 of 108
    georule

georule Hall Of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    Well, when you go to 125 in the guide, you get a banner at the top that says "instant access to 400 new releases & 6,000 shows and movies --at no extra charge!"

I've been assuming that the 12 pre-load PPVs that show immediately below that are coming from the satellite and not the internet, but I guess I don't really know that. Can anyone who has a DVR but does NOT have internet VoD confirm they have those 12 immediately available PPV as well at 125 in the guide?

I have my DVR connected to the internet. Arguably they could have pushed those to me with the internet instead of the satellite. In a world of increasing bandwidth caps, and just "knowing what my network is doing" for my own uses, that'd be an uncool thing to do without me knowing about it, IMO.

If I go to one of the internet VoD channels (like, say, 1501 --HBO) and download a title, I know it's happening and I've approved the use of that internet bandwidth against whatever caps my ISP has, and also approved the temporary slowing of my internet connection for other uses while it happens. If they're pushing VoD to me over the internet without me asking for it. . . that would not make me happy.

14. Mar 30, 2011 #14 of 108
    Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Yep, I've been poking around also, but no firm conclusions yet. I may post in the main HD thread for a Cinema expert. :)

15. Mar 30, 2011 #15 of 108
    syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    FAR from "on demand", IMO. :(

ME: "Hey, honey...wanna watch that new movie with Kristen Bell?"

WIFE: "No."

ME: "Oh...well, it's gonna be here within 24 hours any way."

WIFE: "I said 'no'."

ME: "Yeah, but...it's...on it's way."

*within 24 hours later...*

ME: "Hey, honey...that Kristen Bell movie has arrived."

WIFE: "I don't care."

ME: "But...it's...ready now."

WIFE: "I said, 'I don't care'."

(Your household may vary. I have a crush on Kristen Bell, wifey likes The Rock. If only those two would do a movie together...)

16. Mar 30, 2011 #16 of 108
    georule

georule Hall Of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    What's the megabits/second of one of the D12 satellite transponders?

17. Mar 30, 2011 #17 of 108
    Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Have seen various guesstimates. Thought it was in the 30-40Mbps range, but saw a post recently where someone theorized that it was higher due to proprietary encoding.

18. Mar 30, 2011 #18 of 108
    doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    30. + a bit mb/sec.

Doctor j

19. Mar 30, 2011 #19 of 108
    georule

georule Hall Of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    Well, just to noodle some ballparking around here. . . low-end DSL is around 500kbps. So 40mbps would serve 80 DVRs simultaneously at low-end DSL speeds, and 4 of them would serve 320 DVRs simultaneously. Which feels like a drop in the bucket for D* customers without internet connected to their DVRs, and a poor use of expensive satellite bandwidth.

Slow the speed by 1/2, double the concurrents, and it still feels like not very worth the price. 640 unique DVRs concurrently? A trifle. And a lot of that content isn't even PPV.

20. Mar 30, 2011 #20 of 108
    doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    "PUSH" comes from new 'parsing' of bin 0x0828 from TPN 10 Sat 101.

File has always (at least a year or so) been very large but no "useful" data till Psmith looked 'closer'

Doctor j

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.