DIRECTV turned off HD locals in my area

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by zuf, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Apr 5, 2011 #1 of 28
    zuf

zuf Icon

May 24, 2007
    Southern Utah
    I've had HD locals from DIRECTV for a year and a half now (others have had them longer). Yesterday afternoon, DIRECTV turned them off in my area (not the entire DMA) and now all of the HD local channels give a 721 not subscribed error. The SD locals still work.

As I've been discussing this with friends this morning, it seems that several of us placed phone calls to DIRECTV support yesterday evening and received a variety of answers as to what happened. Several CSRs told us that it is impossible that we ever had HD locals, another said that we were confused and had been watching the SD channels thinking it was HD. Yet another CSR implied that two of the stations in our DMA (Salt Lake City) didn't have appropriate agreements in place with DIRECTV, so they had to be taken down. That seems illogical to me as we have all of the stations in SD and the HD version of all of the SLC locals are available off air.

The CSR I personally spoke with seemed quite knowledgeable and read me some note from his system that stated that certain zip codes in the Southern Utah area were removed from HD eligibility due to coverage issues (spotbeam footprint). This seems like the most logical answer given the size of the SLC DMA. However, since I have been receiving them and they have worked just fine, I'm not sure why the recent change. The CSR was unable to answer that. He was also unable to answer whether the loss of HD locals was permanent or temporary.

I realize that many here at DBSTalk will not be able to give me any more information than I already have. I am posting in the hopes that somebody, such as the DIRECTV employees who unofficially monitor here, might be willing to share some insight as to what happened in this DMA yesterday, even if it is only an unofficial answer. Calling the CSRs has, unfortunately, not resulted in a consistent answer.

I'd love to hear anything anyone knows about why this happened, and how long it might be until we get HD locals back. Feel free to PM me instead of making a public post if that would be more appropriate.

Thank you to anyone who can offer any insight!

2. Apr 5, 2011 #2 of 28
  3. Apr 5, 2011 #3 of 28
    zuf

zuf Icon

May 24, 2007
    Southern Utah
    sigma1914,

Thank you. I missed that thread--even searched before posting.

Mods,

Perhaps this thread could be merged into that one?

4. Apr 5, 2011 #4 of 28
    Bohicarrl

Bohicarrl New Member

Apr 5, 2011
    I've been following all the threads and it appears there's a lot of DTV folks quite upset....When I moved to So. Utah early last year from SLC, I left Comcast and went to Dish.....But because of payment issues with them, some rep. from Now Communications convinced me to switch from Dish to DTV....But what he failed to disclose, and I'm all of those folks do, no mention of local HD channels. Dish had local HD Channels so one would assume DTV would also....WRONG!!....I suspect that if Dish had any marketing skills they would do like Burger King did many years ago....."ours are broiled and not fried"....What an opportunity for some of those 14,000 subscribers mentioned in an earlier thread. I too got different stories....just an hour ago I was told they "were working on the problem with HD local channels"....may its a good idea to contact this <ellen.filipiak@directv.com> This is crazy, I've only had DTV a couple of months and the thought that I have to start all over again either with DISH or cable is nuts....But folks need to be warned when they switch back and forth between these 2 sat companies.....I'd like to suggest getting a following together in my area to get some action committee or group together to try resolve the issue with some good ideas...

5. Apr 5, 2011 #5 of 28
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    A lot? No, I wouldn't go so far as to say a lot.

6. Apr 5, 2011 #6 of 28
    SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Some of us have never had HD locals. We just get an AM21 an get our locals OTA.

7. Apr 5, 2011 #7 of 28
    twistedT

twistedT Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    check out this thread here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=186199

Sorry for your lose... it must suck! :nono2:

8. Apr 5, 2011 #8 of 28
    raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Of course you wouldn't. How many is a lot, by the way?

9. Apr 5, 2011 #9 of 28
    I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Jesus. Every freakin thread.

10. Bohicarrl

Bohicarrl New Member

Apr 5, 2011
    I really don't care to try and define "A lot" What I do know, that if you are getting a service and a portion of that service is free, then you would want it for sure....Agree?....but if someone comes along and tells you no, you never had it, then how is that fair?....The local ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX carries some really great programs.....as do most of the cable stations, so, we invest in equipment, quality HD TV's, etc., and settle for SD programming....Ok., let me suggest to those that might still want to question those folks @ DTV: I contacted one of the largest installers for DTV and DISH in the area. I knew this owner for awhile since he installed my initial setup. His comments were based on contact with DTV a few steps up from the bottom feeders explaining how he losing DTV customers to DISH over this issue. In some cases, he's actually kept DTV customers with the installation of this AM-21 transmitter or such that apparently solves the problem. Of course, the cost for installation can run $100-$300....When DTV asked him why his "sales" were down they said that they would jump right on it but he's not holding his breath. so, a box connected to the DVR, and another antenna may not seem appropriate, however, it appears to be the best solution unless you only have a few months left on your 2 year contract where DISH would be happy to switch you. I guess I could have tried to contact other folks in the installer industry, but I rely on someone that is not trying to sell me addl. equipment unless I really want to based on his comments. I don't expect any input from DTV. In fact the installer I spoke about told me don't waste your time waiting for DTV to come to the rescue....I do appreciate your comments......Bohicarrl from Hurricane, UT.

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Why does the installation of a 50 buck piece of equipment cost up to 300? Is that including the cost of an antenna?

12. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    ??

13. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    D* tells me they have no plans to EVER bring HD locals here. E* has had em right here for years. When it rains I have to rig up a Philips antenna in the window and hang it upside down to barely get a distant PBS-HD station for Masterpiece Sunday night.

Thanks for turning my household into 1937 D*! Your cutting-edge technology and attention to customers' needs are the stuff of legend. I half expect to hear FDR speeches coming out of my home theater rig.

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    All I can say is WOW....the ranting continues

15. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    It looks like three or four people here have posted about being affected by this recently. Unfortunate for them, but I don't see a lot of people here being in that same situation.

16. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    1937? You have an HD display, numerous HD channels, and a freakin' satellite dish. 1937... :rolleyes:

Would it be possible for you to put up a more permanent antenna? I have HD locals, but I also have an antenna as back up. When the storms pick up, during tornado season, I can still get weather reports when the wind and rain become too strong for the dish to keep a signal.

17. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    In response to a certain poster (fanboi from the state that Butler is in) trolling every single thread so that he can defend D* at all costs.
    Just plain annoying and ridiculous. :nono:

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    OK, folks, this isn't about the poster, it's about the problem that zuf is having. Let's keep to that topic and not unnecessarily attach each other.

Thanks.

19. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    You may have mentioned this and I missed it, but are you not within range where you could get your locals via antenna?

20. zuf

zuf Icon

May 24, 2007
    Southern Utah
    Thank you to those that have provided insight into my problem. The comments here, and the comments in DEC's thread (http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=191762 as pointed out by sigma1914 in the 2nd post to this thread) have been very enlightening as to what is going on.