1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv TV-Tuner

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Foolsgold, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Foolsgold

Foolsgold New Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I have a H23-600 Directv Satellite Box, and a WinTV-HVR-950Q connected with s-video and composite audio. I'm getting blurry pixelated videos when recording with lines on top of the video. Ive decided to take back my tv-tuner and try to get a different tuner. I want to get same quality as it appears on the t.v. anyone know what tv-tuner i should buy?

2. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    The H23 is an HD unit; however the if your recording to any dvr, tv tuner, or external recording device from s-hvs, coaxial or composite cable sets, your only doing so at SD quality. Furthermore, the static line at the top of your recording is most likely the closed caption strip. Most TV's can be calibrated to shift a line up, down, left, right or zoomed for all 4 simultaneously thus eliminating the line seen by those that overscan the image.

To acheieve the same quality picture seen on the tv, you'd need to record to a device that incorporates an HD input from either component video or hdmi.

A simple and more flexible method of accomplishing what you want is to upgrade to an hd dvr (any HRx model) and purchase a slingbox pro hd placeshifting device. This would allow you to record content to the sat receiver in full hd and view and or control the receiver from any computer, cell phone or device from both in network locations and remotely as well.

3. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    If you're set on using a PC-based solution, this product is supposed to let you record HD from a cable or satellite STB:

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-121...X0DY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309090346&sr=8-1

Make sure your PC meets the requirements before getting this product...

4. Foolsgold

Foolsgold New Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Processor Requirements (minimum):

Dual core CPU 2.0Ghz or faster
    Graphics with 256MB memory (or greater)
    Sound card
    USB 2.0 Port

My Specs
    Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E2160 1.80Ggz
    Nvidia Geforce 8500gt 512mb memory
    Realtek HD Audio
    USB 2.0 Port

Will that meet the requirements?

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Those requirements are for playing back the recorded video. The encoder is self contained, and even a slow laptop will record flawless video, if you disable the preview, or use a network based dvr program. Full HD video recording barely causes a flicker on the HDD light, cpu is at 0 most of the time. Playback requires a lot more, if not built into the video card.

6. Foolsgold

Foolsgold New Member

Apr 24, 2011
    How would i disable the preview?

7. Relativity

Relativity AllStar

May 28, 2011
    but you're recording S-Video output, you're not going to get HD output on your recording.

you need to use the component video+composite audio outputs or the HDMI outputs from your DVR to record the HD.

The WinTV-HVR-950Q only has the inputs of s-video and composite video, so this is the problem.

This model is designed for playing or recording HD from OTA or Cable, not HD output from a DirecTV receiver.

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Minimize the program to the taskbar is the easiest way, if the software you are using does not have an option. That wont help with the stick you are using now (s-video) because it uses the computer to encode. The HD version mentioned above, has an encoder built into it, and uses no computer resources to record.