1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV vs. Hopper Comparison

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by joshjr, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Dec 11, 2012 #1 of 143
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Check this out. Well put DirecTV!

Genie Comparison.jpg

2. Dec 11, 2012 #2 of 143
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    While we know this is for marketing, from a user's point of view, not all is exactly as stated.
    #3 & 7 are questionable.

3. Dec 11, 2012 #3 of 143
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I assumed they were talking about TV's with RVU clients built in.

4. Dec 11, 2012 #4 of 143
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Yep, thats what I thought.

5. Dec 11, 2012 #5 of 143
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    What's missing is *

3) Only with some Samsung TVs and fees still apply

7) If the Genie is already tuned to a channel, you may restart a program from the beginning from a client.
    ^ may be more untrue than it suggests as the Genie doesn't buffer without being turned on, and even then it only starts from that time, unlike the earlier DVRs do.

6. Dec 11, 2012 #6 of 143
    TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
    I saw this chart when I was satellite shopping a couple months ago.

They seem a little eager to brag about "not needing a box" in every room. While technically true, I would imagine the number of RVU-capable televisions in use right now is what, a fraction of one percent of all televisions? And even if you did have an RVU-enabled TV, surely they'd still ding you for the $6 outlet fee. In the future, it would be nice to get rid of a box, its power supply, and its use of an input on the television.

"Start all programs at the beginning, even if you tune in late" - what, the HR34 buffers all channels now, just in case you change channels?

I've been exposed to "suggestions" during nine years of using TiVos, and while I watched them from time to time and generally found it an interesting feature, it isn't something that would sway me to one system or another.

7. Dec 11, 2012 #7 of 143
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Dish's isnt much better. Automatically record prime time? Great, so I need the extra storage because it records crap for me I dont want. Automatically skips commercials? I think that would only be on the local channels that that recorded during prime time. Not a deal breaker for sure. Not sure what they are referring to about following the score of every game but I believe DirecTV has scoreguide or something similar. Never lose your remote? Really? People have that many problems with that? I dont see a ton of Seniors being that interested in the hopper for this feature.

Hopper Comparison.jpg

8. Dec 11, 2012 #8 of 143
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    While you are right the number of RVU TVs out there is probably pretty slim, if the customer has them the claim is true. And yes, they do still charge you $6/month for being able to view DirecTV on that RVU TV. With an RVU TV you are able to get rid of the box and it's power supply, and you don't use up any of the TV's inputs. You just hook up to it's ethernet port and that supplies both DirecTV and your internet connection for other apps like Netflix, VUDU, etc that the TV might have built in. Although, I think right now the only setup that is DirecTV approved is to have a DECA adapter with power supply hooked up to the coax, and then an ethernet cable to the TV's ethernet port, so you do technically still have a box and power supply there, so their claim is even more iffy (in reality you should be able to just hook up an ethernet cable directly to your router/switch and not have to use DECA).

It doesn't say "all" programs, it just says programs. Like VOS said, this works if the HR34 is already turned on, and one of it's 5 tuners happens to already be on the channel/program you want to watch. When you switch to that program it will switch to the tuner that is already on that channel buffering the program, and ask you if you want to go back to the beginning of the show. This only works for channels that are currently being buffered by the HR34 though, so that means a max of 5 shows at any given time. To me that should have a real big asterisk next to it since I have 200 or so channels in my custom guide, and I watch at least 50 on a somewhat regular basis, the chance that a tuner is already on the channel I want to watch is pretty slim.

9. Dec 11, 2012 #9 of 143
    woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    It would be great to see a complete list put together by Dish and DirecTV members here showing the pro's and con's of each. there are many appealing options for each system. It might help someone decide between Dish and DirecTV

10. Dec 11, 2012 #10 of 143
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Problem is getting FACTS instead of opinions.

A nice thread that only allows updates through Mods, Sure I'm all for it.

But just an open thread, I see nothing but mine is better then yours all over the place. Just like now!:lol:

11. Dec 11, 2012 #11 of 143
    TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
    You're right; it doesn't say "all." But it is pretty disingenuous of them to promote that as a "feature" when in reality you have at best a 2.5% chance of tuning to a channel that one of the five tuners in your 200-channel lineup just happened to be buffering. :D

12. Dec 11, 2012 #12 of 143
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Actually that's a good graphic. Anyone else notice the new Genie logo? At work we call the old one the "boobs" logo and call the new one the "love boat" logo.

13. Dec 11, 2012 #13 of 143
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Yep, available as an app,available on every channel that has anything sports related.:lol:

Both of these lists are too funny.:)

14. Dec 12, 2012 #14 of 143
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    And what with the two weeks? Best I ever can get is 12-Days plus out of the Guide.

15. Dec 16, 2012 #15 of 143
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I think we just did that for you; there is one list touting the Hopper, and another touting the Genie. Both lists are technically pretty accurate, and neither bends the truth like either side of the last political campaign did.

But the problem here is that even with marketing most people miss the point about the significance of Primetime Anytime, which for a certain large segment of DVR users is infinitely more valuable than any combination of other items on either of the two lists. And for others it holds no real value at all.

That failure of marketing is not new, Tivo could not break through in 1998, either, because the perception was that the value was in trick play. That was cool, but the real value of DVRs was that you have a database of what you have recorded and that it records programs wherever they are rather than dumbly recording timeslots like a VCR. And you no longer had to juggle tapes full of video dropouts. And of course large HDDs have capitalized on the whole cache player concept and even the archive platform concept.

But folks just could not see the steak due to the sizzle then, and I think they also miss the important point about the Hopper now.

16. Dec 16, 2012 #16 of 143
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Sorry, the hopper just dont do it for me. I would rather have 5 tuners available at my discretion for ANY channel. I record more on channels other than locals. Not to mention I like that it can sit for more than 8 days as well. Hopper is not for everyone.

17. Dec 16, 2012 #17 of 143
    acer

acer Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Dec 13, 2012
    another reason why when you compare, directv wins everytime. sorry dish.

18. Dec 16, 2012 #18 of 143
    patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Dish has been allowing a 2 Hopper setup (3 if third purchased) from the beginning. That's 6 tuners plus PTA, plus 2 OTA tuners and a new feature derived from PTAT, whenever one of the 4 PTAT channels is tuned 24/7, all 4 channels are available for viewing from that one tuner.

19. Dec 16, 2012 #19 of 143
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    2nd hopper is $99 extra. we could go back and forth all day on what is offered for a fee. But whats included for free in the offer, is what most people want to see.

20. Dec 17, 2012 #20 of 143
    patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Who's talking about initial fees? They vary with new or old customers and sometime for no reason. I've seen numbers a lot higher than $99 quoted for HR34/C31s. My point was and is that the Hopper Joey system was designed from the beginning to be somewhat modular - one box manufactured for 3+ tuners, or by adding a box for 6+ tuners. It is not correct to compare one Genie to one Hopper. The capability is there for most installations with Hoppers.