DirecTV wants to charge me to download something I am trying to record for free

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vobguy, Jun 19, 2014.

1. vobguy

vobguy Mentor

Jun 9, 2009
    Ok, so perhaps I deserve it because of what I tried to record. I went to set a recording for 21 Jump Street because a friend wants to go see 22 Jump Street. It is on tonight at 8 PM.

So I went to the Guide on my HR34/700 with software 0x870, Thu Jun 6/12, 3:46A

I went to the channel and time to record 21 Jump Street. But it would not set a recording for it.

It instead informed me it has now been added to my playlist. Gee thanks. First of all, I have limited bandwidth. I dont want to waste it on dbious content. If I had good internet I would not be paying DirecTV .

Second of all, they were going to charge me 3.99 for the privledge of waiting 3 hours for the download to complete, versus watching it free in an hour.

This is not a good business practice and in fact might be considered a bait and switch tactic. I am not the type to take things to commisions , etc; but this really has me livid. When I try to record something, it should set it to record, not set me up to be charged for something I could have watched for free.

I worked around it by setting it to record again and then deleting PPV one from my playlist. I could not find any setting that will stop this from happening, without totally turning off the internet connection to my DVR. I know if this happens with one of my kids recording something, I _will_ be sending the bill for any bandwidth overages to DirecTV.

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
  3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have my PPV limit set at zero.
    Menu, Settings & Help, Parental Controls, Spending Limits

4. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Happened to me years ago. Think it was Jaws. I recorded it off a channel and it also happened to be on PPV that month. It wanted to charge me to watch my recording.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Are you sure it was downloading and not already pushed to your DVR via a sat feed. They do that a lot with movies that have sequels coming out. I saw it once ages ago and simply deleted the show and recorded it regularly. It wanted to get te ppv because it's already on the machine. I think that's hogwash myself. There has to be a way to tell you an let you record it on the regular channel.

6. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    It's been reported a number of times, but I thought (hoped?) DirecTV had fixed it. If there is a program on a regular free channel you want to record, but the same program is on PPV, it often (always?) decides to record the PPV version (at a cost of course!)

I don't think it's some sort of conspiracy, I think it's a bug!!

7. hdtvman

hdtvman New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Happened to me when I tried taping "Home Alone" off commercial channel and it was available on PPV. They think they are doing you a favor by recording PPV channel but charging you for something that is free

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I though that this was told to us that is "as designed" rather than a bug.

9. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes, the message was "this is the way this is designed" but that's just silly......

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I agree with that 1000%

11. sswheeler

sswheeler Legend

Aug 27, 2008
    I have seen it that if you try to record a show that has multiple listings and in HD, you can have the option to pay for the 1080p version which is on VOD. I feel DirecTV should gives us the option of turning off the VOD. Like mentioned above, I do also have limited internet and would not like to see the VOD options or even the new go to the begining option. Just my 2 cents.

12. willardcpa

willardcpa Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    OK, I give up. How were you going to "watch it for free" when I do a search for it it only shows up in the "pay" movie area??

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Just because there are there it does not mean you have to use them. you can connect a phone line for movie ordering and disconnect the internet.

14. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    TS was probably going to record on FX, however they are no longer airing it (in the next 2 weeks anyway). So that would be why your only seeing the D* Cinema VOD and PPV options.