1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv Woes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Mister Sluggo, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Mister Sluggo

Mister Sluggo New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Greetings to all. I am new to this forum but not new to Directv. I will apologize in advance if some of the things I say have been hashed out and beaten to death in the past but there are just too many posts to go through so please be patient as I try to catch up.

I have been a loyal Directv customer since 06/98. When I purchased my first Directv system with the old RCA receivers I thought I was in 7th heaven. It all seemed so simple and the picture quality versus Comcast Cable was amazing. If you ever needed anything or had any questions or problems they were solved to your satisfaction quickly and professionally. I became a instant fan of Directv and recommended them to anyone who would listen to me.

Sadly, Directv has grown to the point that they seem to have lost their way. They have too many employees who are poorly informed or trained so when you call with an issue they know less about it than you do and when you do get a customer service agent who is knowledgeable you can never get that same person again when you call back so you end up repeating the same story to the next representative over and over again. I have made several calls in the past couple of weeks trying to get some issues resolved with my HR21 receivers and it just seems like no one has any answers or at least not the ones I wanted to hear. I think it's a shame that if you need a specific item that you bought replaced that they won't guarantee that you will get the same item in return. I am slowly becoming an expert at trouble shooting my own system.

I wonder has Directv modeled their business off of Microsoft? It seems they feel that they must rush out new products before they are ready and use their customers as test subjects to improve them. I for one would prefer an item that is ready to go right out of the box.

I am sorry for the rant but I needed a release. I'm sure glad to see a forum like this where you can hopefully meet some good people, make some friends and exchange ideas and thoughts to help make this technology more fun and exciting for everyone.

Thanks,

Mister Sluggo

2. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    :welcome_s
    Sorry to hear about your recent troubles. Might I suggest that you post here what the problem(s) are. The folks here are happy to help and are generally WAY better that the typical CSR.

3. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    What is the exact issue you have. Most problems get resolved quickly here.

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    First of all...welcome. :welcome_s

I'm a bit surprised you've never been here before after 10 1/2 years as a DirecTV customer.

It would appear you've had some CSR issues where you now question at least some of the CSR skill-sets and/or training.

If you've been a customer that long, you are also aware of the exponential customer growth during that timeframe. That also means there has been a corresponding growth in the locations and numbers of CSRs...as well as the fact that there are always new ones to go with the experienced ones. Not to make any excuses for any bad experiences, but those kinds of growning pains are commonplace to any growing business.

I'm not sure of how spending hundreds of millions in expanded products, services, and customer support infrastructure is "losing one's way"...but it would appear that outside of some vague comments on customer service, you are actually seeking to get more information or more help.

You came to the right place.

DBSTalk is home to numerous informed folks who are more than willing to assist on almost any topic.

There are topic-specific forums here, so dive in and let folks help in whatever way we all can...

5. xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    y'know, i wish more CSR's read these forums. (i've learned more here then i did in training.)

6. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    it should be required.:grin:

7. xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    El Oh El

8. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    And that, my friend, is definitely the truth!! To the OP... give us the scoop and let us help!

9. Mister Sluggo

Mister Sluggo New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Thanks to all for the warm greetings. I know I should have signed up here sooner but I am here now and I am happy that I made that choice.

My issues with Directv's customer service reps has been brewing for years but it's just gotten to the point where I am really frustrated. When Directv first started it's business they were very eager to please and my issues were dealt with swiftly and to my satisfaction. I realize like many growing companies these days Directv is going through some growing pains and that they are probably doing their best but it's still frustrating to me none the less and it was never suggested to me back then that if I was unhappy with their service that I could always close my account.

Without getting into details I was having issues with 3 out 4 of my receivers and while Directv did offer to replace them I was just not happy with the notion that they would be sending me out a mystery receiver and not the same item that I paid in full for from Best Buy less than a year ago. That may seem petty to many of you but to me it's like going to a car dealer and buying a new Corvette and them pulling around the corner with a used Aveo.

10. xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    what is/are the specific issue(s) with the receivers? if your having problems with multiple rooms it might not be receiver related...

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    What issues are you having? If all three receivers are having the same problem it might not be receiver based.

DIRECTV does send refurbed receivers but generally they tend to be about the same age as your current receivers, very rarely any older. Another option is to ask the CSR if you can go to Best Buy and buy a receiver and have them credit you the cost, so long as you return the defective ones.

There also exists the slim possibility that you'll be sent a receiver with more hard drive space than the one you're returning :D

12. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I certainly respect and understand your position on the receivers.

One of the challenges, of course, is that they continuously look to improve the capabilities, and over time, models get "retired" from production. I have 2 of these right now myself. While my HR20-700's work perfectly, if something happened and they'd need replacing, there is virtually a guarantee that I'd never get another one in its place. They simply don't make them anymore.

If they are offering to send you replacements, I would recommend you seize the opportunity to get new ones. The one thing about the newer units is that they also support the latest in HD technology.

Stuart's suggestion above is also a good alternative as well.

If there's anything specific as to a problem that we can help...let us know.

13. Mister Sluggo

Mister Sluggo New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    I asked Directv if I could go to Best Buy and purchase my own replacement receivers and they said no to that idea despite telling them that I had heard of other customers doing the same thing. I currently have the HR21 receivers 3 DVR and 1 regular HD and that I could get a HR22, HR 21 or an HR20 as a replacement and the notion of getting a HR20 freaked me out. The problems are as follows;

One HR21 has a major pixelation problem. The multi switch was replaced, the filter and the line between the wall and the receiver were also replaced with no improvement. I ended up switching it with the second DVR that occasionally locks up when you switch channels using the previous button which is a minor problem compared to some of the stories I have heard but still annoying. Switching the units seems to have solved the mystery on the pixelation problem. My old 32" Sony XBR uses S-Video as its preferred method of hooking up the TV and the old 40" Sony XBR in the family room uses component cables as it's preferred method leading me to conclude that the S-Video connection had gone bad on the first DVR. I tried using 2 different S-Video cables with the same result so I know it's the unit.

The last problem is with the regular HD receiver. If there is a power fluctuation it looses its memory and has to go through the entire install process before it can be rebooted and then it will occasionally loose all of the local channels which has to be reset at Directv's end so it's a major hassle. The Geek Squad suggested a battery back up system but it seems to me that it's a defect in the unit and you should not have to go out and purchase an expensive back up system to help the receiver keep it's memory.

14. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I understand your mention of a Corvette versus an Aveo, but it would really be more like replacing a Crown Victoria with a Grand Marquis. Aside from their decision to produce the new HD equipment without the OTA tuner(s), most of their units are pretty much the same or maybe even better.

15. Mister Sluggo

Mister Sluggo New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Your probably right. I came up with the car dealer scenerio after I asked one of the customer service reps if I orderd a new HR22 off of Directv's website if I would get a HR22 and she said no it could be any of a number of receivers new or refurbished that they had laying around in the warehouse. I guess my main beef is still that I can't get my head wrapped around their inability to send you a specific item. Again it's like going to a grocery store and buying a gallon of milk for your breakfast cereal and being handed a gallon of chocolate milk.

16. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

they are boxed up after repair or being returned, and they are marked only HD or HD DVR.

17. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    No, it's more like going to the grocery store and buying a gallon of generic (white label unbranded) milk. It will be a gallon of white milk but you won't have any idea of what dairy it came from or who produced it.

18. w6fxj

w6fxj DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Sluggo. In the old days receivers were much simpler and tended to run forever! Now days the receivers are much closer to being like a computer. To the extent of having an operating system and a hard drive! Power glitches cause the same problem with DirecTV DVR's as happen to computers. A small inexpensive back-up power supply is a good investment and will prevent outages like you see. Check with Amazon for APC units that are about $50 to $75.

Next DirecTV refurbishes and recycled receivers and DVRs so you will most likely get a replacement that is refurbished. While the CSR's are UNABLE to specify a particular model when sending you a replacement, you can have them note your account that you need a replacement with OTA capability, if you have that now. Most of the time you will get the same capability. However if not you call back in and have them read the request for OTA. They will send you a free OTA plugin to go with your non-OTA DVR.

The software in the present DVR's is far, far, better than when the units were first introduced. Much of the improvements came from people's post here! So hang in there and let people here help you.

19. Mister Sluggo

Mister Sluggo New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    I appreciate your advice and all of the input I have received thus far. I'm sorry I have started off so negative but your right Directv will hopefully take these and other's comments to heart to improve their product and service. I'll try not to let myself get too frustrated along the way. I still think Directv has the best viewing experience out there but I'd like to see more knowlege out of their CSR's. I want to network my third and final DVR but could not find the Turbo 85 Powerstrips listed on their website. Does anyone know what happened to them or have a link? They were there yesterday morning but have since disappeared from their website.

20. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I just checked My Account -> Add Kits and Equipment and they showed up as Internet Connection Kit. After you click on Select, there is a question asking if you need any with the powerstrip and if you enter a quantity, it takes you to the correct page. The web site is a bit inconsistent and some things do seem to come and go.