1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv Won't Sell me an AM21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by donley, Jun 30, 2009.

1. donley

donley Mentor

Apr 10, 2008
    Has anyone else had this problem. I wanted to pick this up to record a digital sub-channel. CSR claimed since I received locals via directv (I am in DFW) they would not sell me the AM21.

2. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    go online.. directv site will have it listed under kits and accessories.

3. liverpool

liverpool Legend

Jan 29, 2007
    or ebay for $70

4. rebkell

rebkell Godfather

Sep 9, 2006
    Why would a CSR say something like that? I'm glad I don't have any problems, but some of the answers that come from the CSR's make you wonder what kind of training they receive.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Won't sell you, or won't give you? As long as you have an AM21 capable receiver how can they stop you? Can't you just login to your acct and order one that way?

6. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    The subject says "sell", the first post says "sell", and the OP cited the reason as being he lives in a market with locals.

I'm assuming the CSR was misinformed that AM21s are only to be given to customers without locals, so I'm going to be generous and not say the CSR was clueless...

7. donley

donley Mentor

Apr 10, 2008
    Definitely was trying to buy (not get for free).

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Does it show up online as something you can purchase?

9. donley

donley Mentor

Apr 10, 2008
    Yes it does allow it. I would have preferred to have it added to my bill. Not worth the hassle of calling again, now that I got it to work online. I was actually hoping for a discount, but none was offered and I was ok with that but the CSR would not complete the order. He had the correct price 50 bucks so I know he probably had pulled up the correct item.

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sounds like you just got a bad or misinformed CSR. You can get a AM21 for each HR21/22/23 that is active on your account for $50 each, regardless if your locals are provided via the sat or not.

11. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    i had one tell me that too he just didnt know why i wanted one as if the way should even be a reason
    .but they dont understand the sub chann thing or the fact of better pic ,or that there r channs in hd they dont offer us like pbs and its 3 or 4 subs:grin:

12. mcrutland

mcrutland Legend

Dec 29, 2004
    D* may not........but Solidsignal.com will. :lol:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=AM21

13. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
  14. JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez Legend

May 9, 2008
    Just to add to the OP's story, I had my second HD DVR (HR22) installed Friday, and since my locals are not in HD, I called back to get an AM-21. My original DVR is an HR20 (tuner built in), so I looked on Directv's website, and the AM-21 was not listed to buy. When I called, the CSR could not find it either, checked with a supervisor, and said that I could not order because I did not have the DVR yet? Since I thought there was the chance I could get a refurb HR20, I had no problem with that. Also, NOW, the AM-21 shows up on Directv's website for me to order if I want. Go figure.

15. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    Call back and try again, I had to explain to the CSR why I wanted it before. Tell them you want a 2nd DMA. I also had success emailing D* one time to buy it, they added it to my cart. At leat for me they are not listed on the D* website, becuase my locals are offered, it has to be added by D* into your cart.

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I forgot to include the caveat that the AM21 capable receiver must be active on your acct for the ability to order one even shows up.

17. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I do not see why lil has anything to do with them selling you a product to allow ota inclusion, especially when you consider its a legitimate product built and sold by them.
    thats just foolish. call solid signal and avoid this stupidity.

also, might want to check the buy/sell/trade forum here and ask if anyone has unused one to sell. might get a good deal there.

18. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    As long as you have equipment that is compatible with the AM21, the DirecTV web site will allow you to order an AM21, it is under "Add Kits and Equipment". You will still be able to do this even if your area offers locals. As has been pointed out, if you get a DVR and want to order the AM21 the site will not show the AM21 until the DVR appears in your equipment list.

Now that the HD receivers have software rolling out that is AM21-compatible, the web site should also show the AM21 for order if you have a receiver but I have not seen any reports that this works yet.

19. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    Wow! A bad or misinformed CSR! What a surprise! (Sarcasm definitely intended).

20. donley

donley Mentor

Apr 10, 2008
    Just wondering, now that I have completed the order for the AM21 is there a way to get an actual tracking number (from UPS or however they use to ship it with). When I pull up the confirmation number it just shows shipped and completed.