1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

directv xm channels contract

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by pez2002, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    does anyone know how long directv has a contract with xm to carry the channels ? i will never forget my first listen to xm november 15th 2004 on directv :)

2. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    No, but I wish it would expire and bring back the old music choice channels. The XM stations that my wife and I like have DJs that we don't. And their Christmas music channel has a "long distance dedication" every other song. I want digital MUSIC, nothing more.

3. dphil9833

dphil9833 AllStar

Jul 6, 2007
    I am in complete agreement, Music Choice was 100's of times better than the obnoxious DJ's on XM. Also I strongly feel the sound quality on Music Choice was noticably better, XM seems to be sampled at a lower bit rate then Music Choice was. When they switched, I fired off a email to D* and got back a standard form response that D* routinely looks for ways to provide more value for its customers etc etc.

4. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I agree Music Choice is much better and hope it comes back.

5. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Other then the decades channels, which are done that way intentionally, which channels do you all hear DJ chatter on? I hardly ever hear any and I’ve listened to XM every day for the past 4 years. Some channels I listen to have absolutely have no on air personalities (Big Tracks, Lucy, XM Chill) some only have DJs at certain times of the day (Enlighten, BPM) and other stations have on air personalities that really define the channel, (Watercolors, The System) the DJ really adds a lot to the listening experience. I couldn’t imagine listening to smooth jazz without Trinity or listening to the specialty shows on The System without Zoltar.

www.apple.com/ipod

Satellite Radio is just that, radio, not a digital jukebox service. As long as the DJs aren’t like Sirius DJs where they bring up irrelevant blabber, I say bring ‘em on!

I have Music Choice on cable and I love it, but it’s not designed for listening long term. Some channels appear to be nothing but a megachanger on loop. Playlists are deeper then Muzak, but XM has much better playlists. Some channels on Music Choice just seem dead and that’s because the service not really meant for entertainment and serious listening, it’s meant for background noise in a retail environment. XM channels are programmed wit pasion, Music Choice is programmed like a robot.

6. CHDinCT

CHDinCT AllStar

Dec 23, 2006
    Another vote (by me for my wife) for Music Choice. She loved their Show Tunes music channel much better than the XM equivalent. Liked to listen to Broadway show tunes while cleaning. Too much talkie talk on the XM version.

7. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I wish they would make it a addon package.. would save me some money...

8. cbeckner80

cbeckner80 Godfather

Apr 19, 2006
    Yea, except they probably wouldn't reduce the price if they took it out of the current packages, but would of course have a charge to add it in as a seperate choice.

But, I do like XM better than Dish's Sirius which I had for several years.

:grin:

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I found I like XM, in fact since D* added XM I've added regular XM tuners. I love Cinemagic, no DJs.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The SQ issue would probably be here today even if we still had MC, the compression as with most regular channels has increased in recent years, it may get better after D10 and/or D11 are up and operational.

11. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    No the sound quality on XM on DirecTV was never as good as Music Choice on DirecTV. Nov 14th MC sounded excellent, Nov 15th, XM was not as good. Music Choice had better frequency response and was a little less compressed. It is also possible DirecTV used the same amount of bandwidth the 36 Music Choice channels took to broadcast the 72 XM channels. I have no proof of that, and unless you can find specific transponder info from the MC days and compare it today, there really is no way to find out, but it is a possibility and would explain it.

12. dphil9833

dphil9833 AllStar

Jul 6, 2007
    My wife developed a thirst for classical music to put her to sleep at night and to play while she was pregnant. Of course this was in the days of Music Choice, and the fidelity was excellent, I firmly believe the bit rate was considerably higher. As stated previously though as soon as XM changed over and we started listing to their classical channel, the music just is flat, it lacks any of the depth Music Choice had. And then to add insult to injury, the DJ XM uses sounds like he would be better suited on one of the rock channels. I mean you are listing to classical which is soothing and not over the top in any way and all the sudden the DJ bursts in, several decibels higher than the music, with a real gruff voice, just really un-nerves you and ruins the whole experience.

13. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    Bring back Music Choice so I can get my Arean Rock back. BoneYard and XM suck.

Or pickup Sirius :D

14. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    I liked MC better also. Moreso for the fact I could tell what the station was but the name of the station. Now I have to tune to it so I can find out what they play. Because of that I rarely have it on anymore. My wife and I used to put it on when we would clean the house. Now we put cd's in.

15. JMCecil

JMCecil Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I hope the contract expires and they renew none of them. They are just about as big a waste of space as the shopping channels.

16. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I think it was best said over at TiVoCommunity when XM first came on DIRECTV. Bag of suck. I'm not against satellite radio, I have Sirius. But I wouldn't want Sirius on DIRECTV either. This is the whole reason I'm so geeked on Media Share. I have the control again to play the music I want from my TV without all of the talk.

17. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Godfather

Dec 6, 2005
    I agree, I want my Music Choice back. The Sounds of the Season channel was outstanding. At least bring some of them back, I am very disappointed with XM on DTV.

I have Sirius since they started. I like it better than regular FM, however their "stream jockeys" do suck. They talk over music constantly on Sirius Hits 1 or New Country, its just plain annoying to pay for that. Other channels there are no chatter beyond a brief channel promo between song sets (which is not bad). Sports is why I'm there.

18. Reggie3

Reggie3 DBSTalk Club Member

Feb 20, 2006
    I like XM and use it on Directv - I also have a subscription to it for a portable unit that I move between the car and the audio receiver (I like the D* use because I can see the display on the tv for the song titles) and only use the receiver to pick up the stations that D* does not cover. I have not had a issue with the djs

19. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Ch 818 - Flight 26 is the channel my wife and I prefer the most, that unfortunately has DJs. The Music Choice equivalent 'Adult Alternative' was awesome and had no DJs. I agree, that some of the XM variants do seem to have a deeper play list. However as others have indicated, I use this format for background listening. I also called and emailed D* when they switched and received a similar generic response.

While the playlist on MC may not have been "ultra-deep", they certainly have more content that we own. But thanks for the suggestion on using the ipod, we do that when we want to listen to something more tailored. The music channels (whether MC or XM) provide an opportunity to listen to a wider variety of music than I would ever own.

20. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Ditto, Seconded and I'll vote as many times as I can. :D

The XM equivalent is pretty close in music content, however after what seemed like every other song they had some listener call-in dedication or announcement. If I wanted that, I'd go listen to Casey Kasem and his long-distance dedications or local radio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.