1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV2PC Failed to activate, Make sure you are connected to the internet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by evan_s, Oct 22, 2008.

1. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    For anyone getting this error message try the following

2. linger

linger Legend

Nov 5, 2005
    VA
    I am getting the same thing.

3. edenkers

edenkers Mentor

Dec 17, 2007
    This did not work for me. I'm running windows vista ultimate. I am connected to the internet, that's how I'm writing this post.

4. bobpenn

bobpenn AllStar

Aug 17, 2006
    Didn't work adding the line to the hosts file

. Still insists that I am not on the internet!!! I called DirecTV support ... ha ha... they didn't have any documentation on the application. Well, at least they had heard of it !!!

5. Igmond

Igmond Cool Member

Jun 19, 2007
    I'm getting the same error. Going to try a reboot.

6. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    For those having problems can you bring up a command prompt and type ping activation.cyberlink.com and see what you get for a response?

7. rbird

rbird AllStar

Apr 24, 2002
    Centerville, GA
    Same problem here...guessing the activation servers have been crushed with unanticipated traffic.

Bob

edit: ping times out

8. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    :gott: :icon_band

It worked! Thank You!

9. bobpenn

bobpenn AllStar

Aug 17, 2006
    Tried pinging the site. Request timed out. Interesting. So why can't I get there? I can ping yahoo, etc. We'll I guess that explains it. But what is happening???

I was using OpenDNS. I switched back to my roadrunner dynamic DNS, but neither will ping the activation server.

Any ideas?

Also, I tried pinging both the ip address and the friendly name from my work PC -- neither one returned any packets. So it's not just my home PC acting up. Something is wrong on the other end, or it's a strange DNS issue, though I thought pinging the ip address directly does not involve DNS.

10. Igmond

Igmond Cool Member

Jun 19, 2007
    It's on their end. If you run a tracert to the IP, it shows it timing out on the far end. Either their servers are down or getting hammered and unable to respond. Guess will just try later or tomorrow.

11. rbird

rbird AllStar

Apr 24, 2002
    Centerville, GA
    Perhaps they need an activation server not based in Taiwan.

Bob

12. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    If you are still getting this issue you might try adding a second line that says

203.73.94.101 activation.gtm.cyberlink.com

I don't know that the server not returning a ping is an indication of a problem. It might be configured not to return a ping but if you are getting the address resolved properly then we know that is not the issue.

13. Kiwi

Kiwi Cool Member

Sep 28, 2007
    I have tried disabling firewalls for port 443 and adding the suggested lines to my hosts file but I am unable to get my DirecTVPC application to activate.

IS this a problem with my system or are the Cyberlink activation servers not working currently?

14. demonstimpy

demonstimpy Legend

Jul 29, 2004
    I had this error. I just uninstalled and reinstalled to fix.

15. Kiwi

Kiwi Cool Member

Sep 28, 2007
    this is akin to a ctrl-alt-del to resolve problems, however I tried it and got the result I expected, which was the problem didn't change.

16. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Kiwi,

When you try pinging does it give you a request timed out message or a different one?

Can you provide more information about your computer setup and internet connect? Do you happen to have ip6 setup?

17. Kiwi

Kiwi Cool Member

Sep 28, 2007
    yes, I get a "request timed out" message

yes, I had IPV6 enabled so I disabled it and there is no difference - I continue to get the "activation failed" with more wording about ensuring that port 443 is open.

18. theedger

theedger Mentor

Mar 30, 2008
    Worked!!

Thanks

19. oldpapa1949

oldpapa1949 New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Hey, this is my 1st post...
    Ok, I have read all day on all aspects of the activation failure..
    I had success on 2 computers connected to the same router.. thus having a failure at the router end of 443 was not the issue. However it was on this computer, well almost..
    2 things, went to fire and added an exception for directv2pc... looked it up on the programs list, but that was 1 part..
    2nd is that I added the line 203.73.94.101 activation.cyberlink.com in Host as instructed and walla.. I now got activated..
    I did do and exception for port 443 in firewall, but it made no difference as uPnp on or off.

Here what I had
    1 computer connected (Wired) to router.. Was easiest setup.
    2 computer (older) connected via wifi and it activated.
    3 this guy started to work after I did the exception for directv2pc and added the mention line. Its connected via AC box to router. Suppose to be fast, but I read the 200mps better..

Im a happy camper.. SD is working fine, HD chops.. I think its the speed of the AC boxes

TY for the person with the add..

Old

20. OmarG

OmarG Cool Member

Apr 16, 2004
    That absolutely worked for me after a technical support call and a half day of frustration trying to get the software activated.

Thanks, Oldpapa1949.