DBSTalk Forum banner

DIRECTV2PC v7507 - Issues & Discussion

150K views 470 replies 112 participants last post by  Special Ed 
#1 ·
Important Note:

Please, DO NOT CALL CUSTOMER SUPPORT about this version.
Your cooperation in this matter is greatly appreciated.

The Contents of this Download: (Differences based on previous version)

Please subscribe to the Extra, Extra! thread for news about DIRECTV2PC updates.

Download v7507
Download DIRECTV2PC Playback Advisor

New features
  • No new features since last version

Improved/Updated
  • Stability

Notes
  • Please use your existing DIRECTV2PC key .. If you do not have one, please complete the Beta Download process @ http://www.directv.com/directv2pc
  • New Codecs may be download & installed as part of the setup/activation process after installation.

See less See more
#3 ·
Installed, used key, activated. Connected to HR20-700. Win 7 32-bit Ultimate, Outlook, firefox and Trillian Comm program running in background.

Was playing Torchwood, most recent episode. Ran about 20 minutes and had an APPCRASH and exited. No further info unless in the future they want us to post the contents of the APPCRASH box.

#5 ·
WOW - very smooth install.

Very fast detection of all the HD DVRs on the network here - fastest to date.

The menu operation and playback is also very quick.

Only one quirk - during the first playback - it asked me for the 4 digit code to release parental controls...even though I have it unlocked on the HD DVR being viewed already.

Otherwise - flawless playback.

#7 ·
I would like to try this on my desktop computer. It says the logmein mirror driver is not compatable. That shouldnt matter right, because not like I'm going to be using this through logmein.

Does say to update my AMD catalyst drivers. I will download that and try to run the thing again.

I have the old version installed on my laptop, but its so buggy and hardly anything plays (at least HD content doesn't play, or is very choppy/buggy).

#8 ·
Ok I updated my AMD/ATI graphics driver and reran the DirecTV PC advisor tool. It still errors on the graphics driver even though the AMD tool supposedly detected the best/latest driver out there and installed it.

Should I still proceed with the hassle of re-registering it and installing it to this PC?

Also the DirecTV2PC adviser tool incorrectly detects the amount of RAM in my computer. Attached screenshots.

#13 ·
I get activation limit reached. Is that because I have it installed on my laptop? If I uninstall it from my laptop will part of the uninstaller process release the key so I can install it on my desktop?

I know with Adobe products there is an unregistered licence option in one of the help menus that you run before uninstalling, that way you can reinstall on another computer.

They seem really strict about the activation keys. Microsoft even lets you use the same key a few times just in case you formatted your PC or something. The DirecTV2PC app seems to say it is for playing back protected content. But without a key you still can't play back recordings from say FOX, ABC, CBS? I could understand not being able to playback recordings from any non shopping channel or FTA channel above 100.

#17 ·
Ok I ended up sending a new activation code to another one of my email addresses. It took that, did a codec download, installed it and it seems to work.

I'd say the warnings about the video drivers are faulty. It works fine. Navigation is a little slow, but I'm streaming Hell's Kitchen right now off of Fox29 HD. Interesting that I can't take a screenshot of it. Well I can, but you don't see the actual video. They really did secure it. Reminds me of the "Video Overlay" I used to have in the 90's with a creative labs DVD decoder card that your VGA cable had to pass through.

Now only if you could watch LiveTV on this thing, presuming you had a receiver with an unoccupied tuner somewhere in your MRV cloud. That an an iPad port of this would be AWESOME.

#18 ·
After multiple freezeups I got the program to see one of my DVRs. See enclosed pictures above.

I didn't have to reboot.

I am now watching content on my computer again.

When I drag the window from one screen to another it does freeze for a moment but comes back.

#19 ·
Issue:

When attempting a playback of "Weeds", "Big C" played instead. "Big C" was the program listed under "Weeds" in my program list.

It said "Weeds" above the scroll bar (at the bottom of the screen), but was playing "Big C" instead.

I restarted the program and "Weeds" was playing.

#21 ·
Directv2PC has the parental settings set to pg13 and I have never set a pass code , is their a way to reset the pass code?

To those having this problem, set a pass code on one of the connected receivers with blocked programming and then unlock that receiver and then go to Directv2PC and unlock the parental controls and the programs should now be available

#22 ·
Ok let me just put all my issues and wishes in one post... keep in mind this is first impressions.

1. DirecTV2PC Adviser tool can't properly detect my memory or video card drivers. Puts a red circle next to video card, but guess what, it works fine.
2. Activation Key had to be resent to another e-mail address. It's not clear if there is a way to install it to multiple PC's in a household (more common these days). Even if you can't it's not clear if there is a procedure to 'deactivate' the key on one PC to allow it to activate on another PC.
3. GUI is a little slow... could be my PC (it's a little older).
4. 30 sec Skip button takes like 5 to 6 seconds to complete. It certainly isn't instant like it is on the actual DVR.
5. Sometimes the transport controls show up on screen and take a real long time to disappear... other-times the transport bar goes away in a few seconds.
6. The DVR free space indicator text is truncated. Says "29% Availab" as opposed to "29% Available" despite having plenty of room for the text.
7. The text is nice and sharp, but the DirecTV logo in the upper right looks like its a small graphic upscaled ie) blurry. A higher resolution source graphic would look better. Looked at this on my 1280x1024 monitor and my 1920x1080 monitor.
8. Installer took a little bit of time to fire off. The installer icon appeared in the taskbar, but there was no on screen indication that anything was installing for a few minutes. Then finally the install window appeared with the next/cancel buttons.
9. The info bar at the top comes down but there is no logo in the upper left corner. Shouldn't I see the same logo in the upper left corner that I see on the DVR?
10. It took me a bit to figure out how to get the PIG(Picture in Guide) back to full screen. I didn't realize you could just click on it!
11. Windows 7 disables Aero while this app is running. Any way around that?
12. Can't seem to play SD content! App hangs at 99% CPU usage. Have to lower priority to "Below Normal" in task manager just to be able to do anything on the computer. After a few minutes DirecTV2PC says that the connection to the receiver timed out. HD content plays fine.

Wishlist:
1. Live TV with full guide (as long as you have an unoccupied tuner). Call it something like DirecTV2PC Doubleplay as a play on that feature. Give the same warnings when the tuner is called for recordings or a user requests using it.
2. Ability to browse on demand channels and pick content to download to the DVR. It would be great to queue up VOD material for watching later.
3. A port to iPad or MacOS (DirecTV2MAC, DirecTV2iPAD ?)
4. Ability to access the ToDo list to manage DVR recordings, history, priorities. Can you delete recordings on this version? Maybe even the ability to set favorite channel lists up and other settings (a real remote access to the DVR).
5. Bring these neat UI animations and crisp text to the real HR2x DVR as well!

#23 ·
cypherx said:
I would like to try this on my desktop computer. It says the logmein mirror driver is not compatable. That shouldnt matter right, because not like I'm going to be using this through logmein.

Does say to update my AMD catalyst drivers. I will download that and try to run the thing again.

I have the old version installed on my laptop, but its so buggy and hardly anything plays (at least HD content doesn't play, or is very choppy/buggy).
Even if you are not "using" the logmein driver at the same time as DIRECTV2PC, it is basically always present in the system as part of the video driver system. And that could be a problem.

Cheers,
Tom

#26 ·
SteveHas said:
I am sooooooo sick and tired of needing to get a new key, or re-enter it ever freggin' time they release a new version.
This is so annoying.
I've lost me other key numbers, and have no more "new" e-mail addresses for them to send one to.

so stupid
This is the exact reason i am not upgrading. Its a real PITA to play the key game. Last time I had to make another gmail account just to get a key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.