Directv2PC Watch HD content in SD resolution

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mogulman, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Dec 2, 2008 #1 of 11
    mogulman

mogulman Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    I know this must have been answered somewhere but I've searched and couldn't find it.

I tried Directv2PC on my laptop. It won't work because of PowerDVD.

I have another PC in my basement that is pretty powerful, but has an older CRT monitor using a VGA connector. I tried using Directv2PC on it, but nothing will play because of security with HD (All my recorded shows are HD).

Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Are there plans to have the player allow HD programming to be converted to SD to play on PCs that aren't HDCP compliant because of a monitor..etc?

Just wondering if I should bother messing around with Directv2PC anymore or just stick with my Slingbox.

2. Dec 2, 2008 #2 of 11
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It's been "sometime" since I booted up my computer with an analog [VGA only] monitor, but I was able to play HD through analog fine.
    You may be running into the digital audio output "problem". The error message can be the same [or say video/audio drives need updating]. This I have run into and needed to either find a new driver or disable the digital output device.

3. Dec 2, 2008 #3 of 11
    kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I'm running Directv2PC right now, and watching an HD program on my old CRT monitor connected via VGA (I know, it's time to upgrade lol).

4. Dec 2, 2008 #4 of 11
    EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    I (usually) watch pseudo-live football games via D2PC wirelessly to my laptop. However, for whatever reason, the application does not work well w/ HD on my setup.

But SD works great (particularly b/c my laptop has a less-than-good screen). So, I usually make two recordings of football, one HD and one SD. If I am using D2PC, I use the SD and on the TV, I use the HD.

Is there a way to have the HR2x downconvert the HD stream to SD before sending it out?

5. Dec 2, 2008 #5 of 11
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Since it's "simply" streaming from the hard drive, no conversion is possible.

6. Dec 2, 2008 #6 of 11
    evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    VGA should be fine for most HD recordings. So far the only recordings i've run into that required a digital connection with HDCP was the Download on demand stuff.

7. Dec 2, 2008 #7 of 11
    mogulman

mogulman Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    Interesting.. I guess it is working now. I hadn't tried it in a month or so. Not sure if something changed on my end, or the HR20 firmware.

I did notice that the first time I try playing something, the screen is blank (audio is fine). I stop and resume and then the video comes up.

I already have the newest drivers for my video card.

8. Dec 3, 2008 #8 of 11
    EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    Is there somewhere I can suggest/request that this be added to the D2PC software, or am I wasting my time?

9. Dec 3, 2008 #9 of 11
    dbmaven

dbmaven Icon

May 29, 2004
    I've had some HD work fine - and others not.

My observations would indicate that anything with a DRM (digital rights management) 'tag' will require the player/connection to acknowledge an HDCP compliant monitor on the output side. So, it depends on what you are trying to watch.

Based on that, I'd say you're going to waste your time. ;)

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm not sure it's a "waste" or simply "not possible".
    I think of it this way: The network connection is using the back door straight to the drive/programs, while the front door does all of the scaling on the way to the display outputs.
    I don't think there is a way to sent it through the decoding & scaling portion of the receiver and then reroute it to the network jack [still encoded].

11. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    It would be a waste simply because I don't think it's possible with the current hardware. These boxes have a relatively slow processor with dedicated hardware to handle the heavy lifting like decoding the Mpeg4 Hd streams. There is no dedicated hardware to handle scaling and encoding a SD signal and the slow main processor probably can't handle this. Even if they could figure out how to do it with the main processor it would require the dedicated hardware to decode the HD signal first which as far as we can tell from the specs it can only do 1 mpeg4 hd stream at a time so the DVR would end up having to play the recording back to do the decoding and you wouldn't be able to watch a different recording or live tv while streaming the SD transcoded version. This might be fine for some people in some situations but makes it a lot less useful to most.