1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv's NEW (4/19/06) letter taking my DNS away

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dvdguyjt, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dvdguyjt

dvdguyjt AllStar

Apr 22, 2002
    Got a letter in the mail today.

Directv says that becasue I have HD local available, I can't have any DNS. No East coast, no West coast, nothing.

Called them, and got nowhere.

Issue is that :

1. MY HD Locals are terrible quality. sync issues, artifacting, etc. Theyve been this way since December.

2. I only have 1 H20, but 2 HDTV's. My other HDTV has an older Samsung HD box only capable of MPEG-2 HD.

THey told me I could trade that box in if I sign up for 2 more years of Directv, but that's all they could do.

This comes directly from Customer Retention.

WTF can I do?

2. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    If you just recently got the H20, then a 2 year commitment for swapping out the Samsung HD box won't add that much time to it.

As for the sync issues and artifacting, I can't speak to that. Seems to me that's a D* issue, and judging from the posts I've seen related to that, not one that is being cleared up very quickly. Looks to me like reception issues or no locals at all on the second HDTV. I am assuming, of course, that OTA is not an option sice you had DNS previously.

3. dvdguyjt

dvdguyjt AllStar

Apr 22, 2002

Well, I've had my H20 for about 6 months, and I don't want to start another commitment paln.

Also, the Samsung HD receiver is great. The H20 is a piece of garbage........

Guess I'm losing HD in the second room......

I was mad when they turned off my East Coast DNS a few months ago, but they told me the West coast DNS would not be an issue. Now they are taking it away.

Some customer service..........

4. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    As mentioned for some time already, they plan on getting the west coast MPEG2 Big 4 turned off as close to the end of this year as they possibly can - so this really comes as no suprise to me. Obviously, now that both HD local birds are up and running (SW1 & 2), they will begin agressively forcing people over. And once D10 is launched (1st Q 07) and operational, they will begin to migrate the existing HD nationals to MPEG 4 also. If the launches go up on time and all goes well, I would predict the end of MPEG2 HD by June of 07.

It is going to take some time to get everyone converted to MPEG4, this is obviously the start of their push. It gives them about 1 year to get it done.

5. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Are you having these problems with OTA or the DTV HD locals? Can you get OTA?

6. May 1, 2006 #6 of 14
    dvdguyjt

dvdguyjt AllStar

Apr 22, 2002

I can't get them OTA, but we brought my neighbor's Comcast box over and they look great on cable. None of the symptoms occur.

Its something to do with the Directv MPEG-4 I think.

Everything else on Directv is fine.......

7. May 1, 2006 #7 of 14
    Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    There are various reports about the DTV MPEG4 signal for HD locals from all over. It is a problem and who knows what's being done about it.

8. May 1, 2006 #8 of 14
    Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    "June of 06"? I think turning off MPEG2 nation HDs would be quite a job even by June 07 (which I'm guessing you meant).

9. May 1, 2006 #9 of 14
    ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    Thanks for catching that - its now edited.

It will be quite a job, but that's the plan - and the OP shows how they will go about it - actually pretty simple. And yes, it may go 2-3 months longer, but they will shut the M2 HD stream as soon as they can - thats certain.

10. dan8379

dan8379 Godfather

Feb 13, 2006
    I got the letter about turning off my east coast feeds (though Fox is the only one I get). This is fine with me since I now get my locals in HD through D*. Once they turn these off (I think the cut off date was in May sometime) will that free up bandwith for additional HD channels? If they're really cutting everyone off at once, I would think that would be the case.

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    It will free up bandwidth, but I highly doubt that they will use it for HD. I expect they will use it to get some relief from the overcompression they are doing to squeeze as much SD as they can into the MPEG2 streams.

I'd be willing to bet that any new HD from now on will be MPEG4.

Carl

12. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    So does that mean that the HD tivo's will be useless for recording HD program after they turn off the M2 HD's?

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    They will still continue to be able to record all the HD OTA you want, and any remaining mpeg2 HD channels.....

14. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    True, if forgot about that but I still have to work my OTA. Need to get one on my roof. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.