1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappearing EHD

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by MikeRobertson, Dec 2, 2018.

1. MikeRobertson

MikeRobertson New Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Richland, WA
    My EHD has started to "disappear" every 3 to 4 days. Sometimes a reset on my Hopper 3 will bring it back. Other times it takes a hard reboot by pulling the power. I did see a thread from 2012 on this, but it's been turned into a "computer project" that's beyond my computer skills or interests. I went through a similar issue with Dish tech support several years ago. Back then the drive just flat would not show up. I went through several new hard drives, 2 Hopper replacements, and a tech visit. All of which were to no avail. After that it seemed to me that Dish doesn't really have a handle on how some aspects of their software works. Nothing fixed the issue back then. Six months later, the drive which I left connected just came back to life. My conclusion, a software update changed something and "fixed" it. So for a couple of years everything worked great. As I mentioned earlier, a few weeks ago my EHD started to disappear every few days until I reboot the system. Before I call tech support I was wondering if it's a system issue or just my issue. Anyone else using an EHD on a Hopper seeing this?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    most likely the DVR's FW is buggy (as usual for the company);
    but I would connect it to PC and check HDD's health eg pull SMART data for start, then run Scan with Remap=ON (MHDD or Victoria programs)

3. MikeRobertson

MikeRobertson New Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Richland, WA
    Thanks for the input, but I don't have the computer smarts to do a technical exam of the hard drive. Agree Hopper firm ware always has seemed a little buggy. Was hoping this was some quirk with the Dish Hopper software as swapping out with a replacement Hopper is exhausting, what with bringing a wired and wireless Joeys back up and moving programs from the old Hopper to the new. Particularly when my past experience shows that it may not fix the issue. Think I'll stick with doing DVR reboots until something "breaks" a little more.

4. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Calling Hopper firmware "buggy" is a gross exaggeration. Your complaint is related to interfacing with products manufactured by someone else. My EHD dropouts are very rare and fix with a reset or just waiting for the overnight reset. My Hopper3 has been very stable in virtually all firmware updates since it first came out. Why don't you go read the threads on the new Genie GUI?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  5. MikeRobertson

MikeRobertson New Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Richland, WA
    Okay, stupid me. I'm just a dumb ass that's been a Dish subscriber for over 20 years. I've no plans to change, but I have got to the point where I expect things to work as advertised and Dish does claim the Hopper will interface with an EHD. Mine no longer does, at least not longer than 3 to 4 days. If the answer is to be happy with what you've got because the other guy's stuff has more problems. That's fine, I already said I'll live with it and just keep doing resets.

6. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Just saying, the vast majority work and have worked through multiple firmware updates. There may be something else going on. Not criticizing your situation, but I was only making the point that characterizing Hopper firmware as generally "buggy" is inaccurate.

BTW, mine have all been WD My Book 2tb and a WD USB3 RAID (double) 2tb.

7. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I have a Seagate Backup plus (in which I have replaced the original drive with a larger one) and a SIIG SATA dock with a 500GB internal 7200RPM Seagate SATA drive on it connected to my H3.

Both have been working untouched for months, never a glitch.