1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappearing local HD channels.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by pugluvr, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Nov 4, 2010 #1 of 11
    pugluvr

pugluvr Cool Member

Nov 4, 2010
    I've had Directv HD DVR for a couple of years. I've received the local stations in HD all of this time. Monday those channels disappeared. They are no longer listed on the guide at all. I still get the standard local channels, just no HD. I contacted Directv, and they said that local HD channels are not offered in my zip code. But I've been receiving them up until Monday! Another very strange part of this: I have a few programs set to record every week on my DVR. These shows are set on the local HD channels, which no longer show up anywhere. BUT these shows ARE recording and recording in HD. What in the world is going on? After contacting Directv, I contacted a couple of my local stations who assured me they are broadcasting in HD and there isn't any reason I should not be receiving them. Can anyone offer me any information about this? Or help me get my locals back in HD? It's fine to watch the shows that are set to record, but I like to watch sports in HD and none of those are pre-set to record, so they are in crappy standard tv. Help me, please!

2. Nov 4, 2010 #2 of 11
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    :welcome_s

Did you accidently change you guide setting to a different custom guide? Did all of you HD channels disappear? If so you may have hidden them in the setup.

3. Nov 4, 2010 #3 of 11
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    If you are using a favorites list, check that list, you may need to reselect the channels. Sometimes thay mess up.

Also, double check to make sure that someone didn't accidently toggle the option to "hide HD" channels.

Finally, a reset may be in order to clear a simple glitch.

4. Nov 4, 2010 #4 of 11
    pugluvr

pugluvr Cool Member

Nov 4, 2010
    All of my other HD channels are there. It's just the local HD channels that are missing. I've checked all of the guide lists. Even when I set it on "All Channels", the local HD channels are not there at all. I've reset the system myself, and also re-set it and did a few other things while on the phone with Directv. No local HD channels. And the guy on the phone SWEARS that I cannot have access to them in my zipcode. Which is not the case, since I was getting them prior to Monday. Argh. I'm so frustrated.

I will go looking for the "hide HD channels" button. I don't recall ever seeing that. But all my other HD channels are there and working fine.

Hey, say-what. I'm a Saints fan too! Part of the reason I stick with Directv is to get the Sunday ticket, so I can watch my Saints games!

5. Nov 4, 2010 #5 of 11
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    You may also try resending your authorizations if a reboot doesn't work: http://www.directv.com/resend

I'm not sure what else could be going on if you're getting the SD versions, particularly if it's still recording from the series links on the HD channel.

6. Nov 4, 2010 #6 of 11
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    What is your zip code? You might be in one of the zip codes which have moved from one DMA to another, in which case you might have lost locals.

7. Nov 5, 2010 #7 of 11
    pugluvr

pugluvr Cool Member

Nov 4, 2010
    What is DMA? How do I find out if it was moved? And does that mean I can get them back?

8. Nov 5, 2010 #8 of 11
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    If you told us your zip code we might be able to tell you what is going on.
    DMA stands for Designated Market Area, these are defined by a company called Nielsen as groups of counties making up a TV viewing area. The areas are used for audience measurement and for various advertising purposes. Although the DMAs were never designed to be used for this, the FCC rules require DirecTv to deliver locals to people based on DMA - you get the stations assigned to your DMA. There have recently been several adjustments to the DMA boundaries and as a result DirecTV has had to switch peoples locals, and if people moved into a DMA that did not have locals, they lost them completely. There is nothing DirecTV can do to change that.
    It's further complicated by spotbeams. Locals are delivered via a spotbeam pointed at specific DMAs - think of them as flashlight beams coming down from the satellite. If you are in the spotbeam you can get the locals, if you are out of the spotbeam you get nothing. The problem with this is that if a DMA gets larger, the spotbeam for that DMA might not cover the new counties, and so although the DMA has locals, the newly-added counties might not. This might not apply to you: as I said, please post back with your zip code.
    FYI, you might be entitled to get the national network feeds (the DNS channels) free of charge, in this situation.

9. Nov 5, 2010 #9 of 11
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I've heard of hiding the SD duplicates; was unaware you could hide the HD duplicates.

I will assume you are not recording the OTA versions. Those will show up as black in the guide typically with a "-1" after them. You could check your recordings to make sure that they are not OTA recordings (and if you have no antenna system or cable hooked up to a RF input or adapter, there is a very good chance that they are not).

The fact that you still are able to record them through SL indicates that they are really there and that you are still authorized to record them, meaning that all of that clap-trap regarding spot beams and potential politically-driven shut off is just that, and you can ignore it and concentrate on the actual problem. Also, if there were an authorization issue for the HD channels it would probably be the same for the SD channels, which you also still have, apparently.

I would look into redoing setup, which sets your local markets. While this is mostly there for setting up OTA channels, it is not out of the realm of possibility that a glitch here could affect display in the guide of the LIL versions. Just like a RBR, it couldn't hurt and is quick and easy to do (still a long shot).

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
  11. pugluvr

pugluvr Cool Member

Nov 4, 2010
    My zip code is 67853.

After reading the threaded linked by RobertE, I think this may be what happened to me. It's very frustrating. I bought an antennae when I went to town and just tried hooking it up to see if I can get the channels the old fashioned way. Nope, nothing. I guess my only option is call Directv back and see if they will give me the east/west coast HD channels. I don't know what that will require from me, and I don't look forward to wasting more time on the phone.

My pre-programmed shows are still recording in HD on the HD channels that no longer show up on my guide at all. I just don't get it. But I'm dreading Sunday night football on standard tv.