1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappearing recording

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by quietguy, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 7, 2005 #1 of 40
    quietguy

quietguy Mentor

May 19, 2005
    The show just disappeared after the recoding, I knew it was recording because I was on that channel for a brief moment. After it's done, I could not find it anymore. It was not in the HISTORY, nor in the DVR menu. The Schedule showed that it was done but I can't find the show.

BTW this is a 625.

Any one had the same experience?

2. Jun 7, 2005 #2 of 40
    Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    My 522 has done that a couple times. Very irritating

3. Jun 7, 2005 #3 of 40
    rurso

rurso Mentor

Dec 9, 2004
    I've got a philips 708 and with these dvrs you have to read to see where it goes after recording. Sometimes I will record and have it go to my dvd recorder but it will also save it,don't know about the model you mentioned-but you have to read. Its hard to tell someone what to do without detailed info on the way you recarded it,people can only guess what you did.

4. Jun 7, 2005 #4 of 40
    garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Why do you assume it was something these people did? It makes far more sense, based on Dish history, to conclude it was the fault of the Dish DVR's, not operator error.

5. Jun 7, 2005 #5 of 40
    rurso

rurso Mentor

Dec 9, 2004
    I presume your talking to me. I don't care if its Dish's,DTV's or a DVR you go out and purchase. The operating procedures are a little different for different DVR's and you must read and play with them. He said "The show just disappeared after the recoding" , right there that tells me he don't have it set up right. My son set mine up he is better with electronic devices like this than I am. He also don't read instructions. I got the thing to record and record to a DVD recorder but the DVR on its own will keep recording other programs,so I called DTV it it was something in the choices he made to record. These DVR's aren't as simple as they say-you have to play with them and reading will minimize some of the errors.

6. Jun 7, 2005 #6 of 40
    quietguy

quietguy Mentor

May 19, 2005
    You don't have to guess if you have a 522 and/or 625.

7. Jun 7, 2005 #7 of 40
    finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    lol....here come the add on comments about the other DVR models.....now come on folks. This does happen with the E* PVR's once in a while (I think it's happened to me twice on my 721, never on the 508), but some folks act like it's a chronic problem, which it isn't.

Why is it that just about everyone seems to agree that the TIVO's have a very slow EPG ALL the time, but it rarely gets mentioned when people are touting how great Tivo's are???? It's because people like Tivo's overall and they accept the slow EPG.....that's the way I feel about the 721, there are little problems, but overall I think it's a great box. My 508 NEVER has problems, but I still prefer my dual tuner 721.

8. Jun 7, 2005 #8 of 40
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Yep, and you read all the info and it still does it. I like my 721, also. One time it said all my recordings were gone. Not true. Just rebooted and there they were.

I wonder if Tivo is sending out new books with the latest upgrade. :)

9. Jun 8, 2005 #9 of 40
    quietguy

quietguy Mentor

May 19, 2005

Why do people always get offended when dish DVR's flaws are being discussed?

This is the first time that I had this problem since I got 625 just over a month ago. I did not know what happened so I posted here for help (BTW I DID reboot) with no intension to complain.

I have SA TiVO, it's good but not perfect. I can think many areas that is less favorable than DVR (soft padding, channel changing and 30min buffer, single tuner), but it does what DVR is supposed to do well.

I like my TiVO, but now I like 625 more, that's why my TiVO is sitting there recording my activity with the 625 nowadays. :lol:

10. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    I think that when one has a problem with ANY DVR (or other receiver) it ought to be discussed but quite often when a DISH model is mentioned it turns into a DISH bashing thread and often leads to posts filled with half-truths and outright lies. Quite often the DirecTV dealers then jump in and post more untruths about DISH equipment just to push their agenda. And then there are others that jump in and post about problems that they had three years ago and discuss bugs (or give misinformation) about things that were corrected years ago (Haller is often guilty of that).

This board is not a friendly place to discuss DISH anymore because problems can no longer be logically discussed without someone calling DISH's software (and hardware) inferior and bug ridden. That just isn't fair and is a long way from what the real truth is.

11. garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    A little sensitive there Bill. Nobody has done any Dish bashing on this thread...yet. Quietguy had a problem with his events disappearing after recording, something that indeed does happen with Dish DVR's. (It has happened on my own 510 and 721, and has happened to others in this thread.) Rurso illogically assumed it was the original poster's fault, and I pointed out the illogic of his assumption. I think quietguy got it right when he spoke about how easily people get offended when Dish flaws are discussed. Sheesh.

12. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    And the same crowd is always there to bash Dish at every opportunity.

Give it a rest, Gary, and let some others do the Dish bashing for a change.

13. rurso

rurso Mentor

Dec 9, 2004
    I did not illogically assume anything-you know what happens whe you do that. He didn't post enough info for one. He did not say if it was his first recording,therefore I presummed it may not be set up right. I sub to DTV and have no problems recording or recording to my DVD recorder. I have a 510 that my son uses and he has no problem recording from Dish. So I don't see the problem being Dish. I don't know, you prove it to me then I'll believe you-those are my "logical" explanations. Don't take this the wrong was I'm not trying to start any thing here,just trying to learn more-sorry if anyone is offended by my posts.

14. garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    Give what a rest? Rational discourse? Nobody has bashed Dish in this thread, as of yet. (For those that think post #4 was bashing, well...they've got some issues they need to deal with.)

15. quietguy

quietguy Mentor

May 19, 2005
    I have to agree with Gary. There is no bashing of Dish.

16. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Bob H or boba will be along shortly I'm sure....

17. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Boy - I must be slipping. Not even an honorable mention as a E* basher. :D

18. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002

Bill has nice rose colored glasses:( Any company who reperatedly releases poorly tested software thaty hoses subs boxes deserves the negative attention.

19. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    Now we have some DISH bashing and the usual asinine remark by Haller that I am wearing rose color glasses (I NEVER once said that DISH has completely bug free software).

To say that DISH "repeatedly releases poorly tested software that hoses subs boxes" is a pure lie and Haller knows it. It is remarks like that (that go unchallenged by the administrators) that really piss a lot of us off. People ought to be held accountable for their lies and misinformation.

20. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    You missed the whole point of my post. My point was that this will turn into another UNJUSTIFIED DISH bashing thread (which it has). Just about everytime a DISH product is discussed that happens. Some people on this board will no longer allow a logical discussion about a problem without making some statement that is not entirely true or, in the case of some, something that is an outright lie (and then the usual bashers jump in "just for the fun of it").

And, as I mentioned in another thread, if this (unjustified bashing) was happening with DirecTV products I would be defending them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.